Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Audio/ Video system upgrade

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  STS1320 
#1 ·
I have a 96 Sts with a 2000watt audio system ( (2) Pioneer Primer Subs ts-w3004spl and 2000w Lanzar mono amp) My alternator is already having problems keeping up with the voltage. In the next couple months im adding 4 screens. indash, headrests and a 13" flipdown. Is there anyone that could help me find a higher output alternator for the northstar instead of the $550 boush one from autozone. Im also planning on upgrading my wireing to 2/1 gauge, a 5 farad capacitor, and HID lights to lower wattage during nighttime (big current draw)
Also would it be safe to add an extra battery wouldnt that raise the voltage to 24volts?

#2 ·
Ok, first off your running maybe a 1000 rms, not sure on amp. Secondly, do your Big 3 with 0/1 gauge(search I posted a big ass thread on how to do it). Thirdly, run 0/1 gauge from your battery to the amp. Fourthly, CAPS DONT DO SHIT, if you like a detailed explanation why, ask me. Fifthly, your HID lights won't ever dim, I have HIDs and know frome experience. You will not need a HO alternator for that, I will be running close 5000 true watts on my stock alt (I will be upgrading later though lol). And if you must, get an Iraggi Alt, they are MUCH cheaper, and much much much much better than Boush, they probally the best out there. Adding an extra battery doesn't raise the voltage unless you wire the batteries in series. If you wire them in parrallel you will be good. I am about to install my second HC2000 battery in the trunk.

#4 ·
Oh yea whats wrong with caps, ive heard good things about them from people. and about that 1/0 im scared as all hell to upgrade my wireing to my alternator to my battery, there is no room in the bay. there are 3 power wires comming off my positive battery post

#5 ·
We have almost the same exact car, so I know what your working with. In order to upgrade the alt + you will need to jack the car up, remove the splash shield and put the wire on the alt, just put it where the stock one is. Just follow the one wire leading down to the alternator.

And caps don't do anything. They store up energy for one sudden burst of power, and then once again have to store up energy, while your system is still playing. Ultimatley they just put more of a strain on your electrical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.