: Burned by exhaust tips?

citadel_85
01-23-07, 11:53 AM
Was curious as to whether anyone else has been burned by touching the hot exhaust tip while loading/unloading cargo in back of my V8 SRX. I have two scars from burns, one on each leg from inadvertently touching the hot exhaust tip since they stick out beyond the bumper.

c5 rv
01-23-07, 12:17 PM
Can't say that I've burnt myself. Then again, I never wear shorts.

If you have this tendency to get burns, don't ever buy a vette with side pipes and no heatshields.

GMJim
01-23-07, 12:31 PM
yes, my best friend and wife have burned their leg.

TSS
01-23-07, 01:09 PM
This reminds me of a joke about the Blond who burned her lips trying to blow up a car.

But, seriously, no - I have not burned my legs on the SRX tailpipes. Interestingly, I have on my wife's SLS and my 300ZX Twin Turbo. I think when loading/unloading the SRX, I tend to stand more towards the middle of the tailgate.

citadel_85
01-23-07, 01:50 PM
GM Jim.... I was considering talking to an attorney about this since I do have scars from the burn, I was interested in seeing if others were effected and if they would want to consider some kind of legal action... It is actually an easy thing to do given the protrusion of the exhaust tips beyond the bumper, which to me seems like poor design since naturally people would be close to the bumper when removing items from the cargo area.... let me know your thoughts

FarEast
01-23-07, 02:06 PM
GM Jim.... I was considering talking to an attorney about this

You're kidding, right? While you at it why don't you ask for GM to install heatless engine in all GM cars or you'll sue'em.

nstar
01-23-07, 04:52 PM
GM Jim.... I was considering talking to an attorney about this since I do have scars from the burn, I was interested in seeing if others were effected and if they would want to consider some kind of legal action... It is actually an easy thing to do given the protrusion of the exhaust tips beyond the bumper, which to me seems like poor design since naturally people would be close to the bumper when removing items from the cargo area.... let me know your thoughts
There you go GM Jim you where on design team for SRX !!!!!!!:hide:

GMJim
01-23-07, 06:24 PM
There you go GM Jim you where on design team for SRX !!!!!!!:hide:
but......but.......I worked on the engine compartment!!!!!!!!!!!!
No I would not be interested in biting the hand that feeds me. I will just remind my loved ones to be careful.

c5 rv
01-23-07, 07:32 PM
... touching the hot exhaust tip since they stick out beyond the bumper.

I just looked at mine and the exhaust tips are at least 1" inside the back edge of the bumper above the tips. There's no way I could get my leg to contact the exhaust tip standing behind or reaching into the back of the vehicle. I had to shove my leg under the car or bend my legs and shove my
knees underneath to make contact with the exhaust tip. Maybe your tips on an 04 are positioned differently than on my 06.

Wagoneer
01-23-07, 11:35 PM
Now why don't they have the exhaust sticking out the side behind the rear wheel like those cool old woody station wagons?

But if you could win a big lawsuit by getting burned by the exhaust, the Dodge Viper and maybe Dodge would be no more.

My advice: next time, watch out for the hot bits.

TSS
01-24-07, 09:40 AM
GM Jim.... I was considering talking to an attorney about this since I do have scars from the burn

Unless you are a professional leg model or actually sought medical treatment, I would let it go and chalk it up to experience. There, now you have talked to an attorney.

c5 rv
01-24-07, 09:47 AM
Unless you are a professional leg model ...

LOL I'll have to remember this line the next time my wife bugs me about why I don't wear shorts in the summer. "Hey, I'm working on my future career as a professional leg model and I don't give 'looks' away for free."

donjumpsuit
01-25-07, 10:05 PM
By a happenstance which I will not go into .....

I pushed in the corner of my rear bumper on a stone wall, put it in park, and jumped out to "push" it back out in my terror. Lord only knows why I felt it necessary to "remold" this stucco scared facade immediately, however when I did so, I pushed my arm heavily for 3 seconds into the muffler! To my dismay, I had a blister the size of the p00p thats on Aaron Neville's face! Can I sue someone? Anyone?

:crybaby:

Kalibr
01-26-07, 12:07 PM

Man, I certainly hope you were kidding. If not, that's ridiculous!

A lawsuit would be the last thing on my mind if I received a minor burn from the tailpipe of my SRX. I would probably have contacted GM to make them aware of the problem (if there is any) and left it at that.

It amazes me how some people can only focus on receiving monetary compensation for every minor incident that happens to them. But perhaps, thatís the only way they can afford to drive a Cadillac.

Gee, should I sue Hammermill for the paper cut I got this morning. Hey, I'm sure I can find other poor victims for a class action suit.

john d
01-26-07, 02:22 PM
By a happenstance which I will not go into .....

I pushed in the corner of my rear bumper on a stone wall, put it in park, and jumped out to "push" it back out in my terror. Lord only knows why I felt it necessary to "remold" this stucco scared facade immediately, however when I did so, I pushed my arm heavily for 3 seconds into the muffler! To my dismay, I had a blister the size of the p00p thats on Aaron Neville's face! Can I sue someone? Anyone?

:crybaby:
So sorry, that's really painful, the paint damage I mean.
How do you intend to repair the paint scars?
Let us know the cost and where the repair was done.
I've heard of, but not seen, a repair service strictly for plastic bumpers.
Thanks

donjumpsuit
01-26-07, 06:42 PM
I haven't got it fixed yet, It is a lease car, and I figure the bumper is going to get a few more beauty marks before the next two years are out. People have already managed to smash and bang my passenger side doors with unrelenting passion. I park 9 miles away from everyone else and it still happens.

I know this. The rear bumper facia is around $300 for dealer/body shop cost, I won't let them charge me anymore for that, just for paint and installation, which i figure will total around $750.

Right now, I apply a black magic marker every couple of washings or so, I also claybared all the white paint off, so its barely detectable. I was going to get the sport bumpers, but I think I will hold off.

ryaus1
01-26-07, 11:55 PM
I had my rear bumper replaced. Total cost which included painting: $850

dcarr66
01-27-07, 08:00 AM
Really - get over it. I can see if something that wasn't supposed to be hot burned you, but it's common knowledge that exhaust = hot.

I can't stand that type of attitude!!:brutal:

GMJim
01-27-07, 11:50 AM
The exhuast tips for 06 are recessed about an 1 1/2 ". 04 they were pretty much flush to protruding out. I wear my hockey shin pads went putting my golf clubs in now. Oh.......I don't have an 04 anymore.

clyj
08-25-11, 02:01 PM
Wow! I am new here after I just searched online to see if anyone else had this problem and am surprised to find this thread full of exceptionally rude and unconcerned responses.

I am in complete agreement that there are too many friviless lawsuits from people trying to find easy money. However, my 2004 SRX was promoted to me as a "family wagon" type of vehicle, yet it has 2 burning hot metal pipes that stick out from below the back or the bumper right where my children climb in to get into the rear seats, or stand as they wait to be handed groceries to help carry, or load items to take to soccer games & camping.

My kids and a few of their friends have been burnt and one injury was fairly serious. The fact that the pipes in later models have been reworked and do not extend beyond the bumper, tells me that Citadel_85 and I are not the only people who believe that this was a serious design flaw.

Get some compassion to balance out the criticism - companies should be responsible for designing safe products and this one is not a motorcycle or hot rod where one would expect to be wary of hot exhaust pipe burns!

JD2004
08-25-11, 03:47 PM
clyj, give me a break. The fact that exhaustpipes are hot is common knowledge for most people. Perhaps you should pay GM for making your kids aware of this valuable knowledge.

conedoctor
08-25-11, 05:54 PM
Ya I have to agree, it is tough to care bear the everything.

Mine get smoking hot and I told the kids don't touch them or you will get burnt, I am way more worried about them getting getting hit witht he liftgate or a finger in the door.

SLCLK500
08-25-11, 06:00 PM
My '06 had been run into in the rear before I bought it. I found that the right exhaust pipe had been bent and was out of position enough that it burned the plastic rear bumper above it. I took it to a muffler shop and the guy heated up the exhaust pipe with a torch and pulled into proper position for $6 (I gave him a ten). The '06 tips are basically flush to slightly inside the bumper opening.

tormented
08-25-11, 06:37 PM
Ok, since I have an 04 SRX and never have even been close to getting burned, I went out and checked the exhaust outlets. I would have to put my foot pretty well under the car at a weird angle to get the tip to touch..... My exhaust is factory stock. The tips on an 04 do NOT stick out. 79440

OffThaHorseCEO
08-26-11, 03:55 PM
not only that, your bodys reaction to burn is a very quick jerk motion or retraction or the body part that is being burnt. Even very hot exhaust is not hot enough to cause "serious injury" in the time it takes to touch it, realize its hot, and retract.

mjcaddy
08-26-11, 09:39 PM
Just checked my 05 and there is no way ill burn my legs in a normal loading/unloading movement,
The only way that my legs touchs the tip is by bending my legs under the bumper in purpose