: removing grille? help

lochenjons
01-23-07, 01:32 AM
okay so i'm a total newbie when it comes to cadillacs... well fairly. im fixing everything myself and it's a good way to learn so far I've learned a lot. this site has been pretty valuable so far to me.

so yet another question.

i just purchased a bling cadillac badge to go on my grille. just like this one except gold:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2437000-2437999/2437587_4_full.jpg

and i opened up the hood and i can see where to un attatch the grille... but i cant get to it. theres a lot of stuff in the way... like this plastic guard... is there an easy way to get this plastic stuff off? or am i missing something big? how do i get this grill off?

thanks

JRau
01-23-07, 11:00 AM
Don't know if you could get to it from underneath the car... I have a similiar model--I'll try and take a look to make suggestions to you. I would think that removing the plastic shroud covers wouldn't be too much effort, though.

JRau in central Iowa

lochenjons
01-23-07, 01:33 PM
i tried from underneath the car... i can see where the grille is attatched but i can't get to it! its annoying. removing the pastic stuff shouldnt be too much of an issue... except its held in by one sided bolts or something like that. ill take a picture later and post it on here. the bolts are completely flat on the top, but if you look at the bottom, they're grooved like a screw. maybe i should of tried prying them out with a screwdriver.

thanks for taking a look for me i appreciate it

Benzilla
01-23-07, 01:44 PM
Yeah, you have to take off the plastic shroud and go in from the top. The bolts are plastic, and some are a bitch to get out, almost impossible with a screwdriver. I used the nail removing side of a hammer, that took them out without bending them too badly. After that's out, it's a piece of cake.

lochenjons
01-23-07, 01:50 PM
oh ok great! thanks for your help

Benzilla
01-23-07, 01:51 PM
Sure man, if you have any trouble let me know.

90Brougham350
01-23-07, 02:18 PM
Ben is right on, use the tail of a hammer! Works like a charm.

Cadillac Giovanni
01-23-07, 05:56 PM
I found it much easier to take it off from underneath by putting the car up on ramps, and I was doing it in the dark while it was windy, trying to hold a flashlight between my neck and my shoulder.

That's just me though.