: Dead battery or fob and locked out. Solution?

LaTyrece
01-22-07, 07:36 PM
My 2006 STS V8 is locked and dead. The fob won't work (I only have one). If the battery is dead, how do I get inside to open the hood to jump the battery?

The owners manual doesn't state how to open a locked car with a dead battery. To add insult to injury, I am 4 floors below ground level in a parking garage so OnStar unlock is out of the question.

Cajonkev
01-22-07, 07:55 PM
Where's your key (He asks semi-rhetorically)...

Call On-star with your wallet card and they will send a Cadillac Service tech to you with a replacement battery.

Caroutisine
01-22-07, 09:20 PM
Where's your key (He asks semi-rhetorically)...

Call On-star with your wallet card and they will send a Cadillac Service tech to you with a replacement battery.
Yes. The key will still unlock the driver's door. I've had to do this with a dead battery before.

bhoppes
01-22-07, 09:21 PM
I tow for a living and in my manual it says to contact your Cadillac dealer. We have had a call on one of these cars before and all we could say was to call your local Cadillac dealer, because there is really no way to get in the car.

ascariSTS
01-23-07, 04:49 AM
you can unlock it using the key (glove box key, in case) ...

ewill3rd
01-23-07, 05:43 AM
The driver's door should open with the key. Where is your key?
You can call roadside, they should be able to help you but you will have to have the key.
Oh, and if the battery is dead OnStar can't unlock it anyway.

AllWheelEric
01-23-07, 09:50 PM
I only got one old-fashioned key with my car (bought used) and never though I was at much of a risk. But now I wonder.

Does anyone know if this is a cheap key to reproduce or is it one of those dealer-only $60 keys?

Thanks.

ewill3rd
01-24-07, 05:56 AM
Since the key is not used to actually start the car it has no security features and it is just a key blank. It should be inexpensive to reproduce anywhere if you want to duplicate it and keep one with you.
The expensive ones have transponders in the head, but have a logo stamped on the key shank. If it is a passkey 3 system key it has a PK3 or sometimes just a + with a circle around it. I think some say PK3+
Even if your key has markings, all you need is a mechanical cut key that matches the one you have.

Any XLR owners should remember to keep their key with them as well. The procedure to get in the car is more complicated when the battery dies, but you still need the key.

ewill3rd
01-24-07, 07:28 AM
You might check around, according to my parts department they do want 60 bucks for that key.

AllWheelEric
01-24-07, 12:13 PM
the first hardware store I tried didn't have the right blank and suspected it was a dealer-only job. I will try again.

Aurora5000
01-25-07, 09:32 AM
Might try a locksmith.

bhoppes
01-29-07, 08:44 PM
The back doors are not electronic. You may just want to call a tow truck so they can access the car with a lock out kit through the back door.

Cajonkev
01-30-07, 08:17 PM
Well after a week let's hope he's already figured a way in...:bouncy:

northlites
02-02-07, 05:30 AM
OK, Suppose I have a key.

I want to open the driver's side door because my FOB battery is
kershtunken. Where do I stick this imaginary key since there's no
keyslot?

I know, I know call GM!

bigdog9586
02-02-07, 05:45 AM
open up the console and there is a slot to put it that overides the remote. Maybe if you could take a hour out from your very busy schudele you could do what the rest of us have done and read their owners manual where it tells you just what to do. You paid about 50K or more for that manual so use it.

ewill3rd
02-02-07, 06:00 AM
On STS there is a lock cyilnder in the driver's door.
You can also replace the fob battery for a few bucks at Wal Mart (or the retail store of your choice)

northlites
02-02-07, 02:49 PM
:( Thanks for your sarcastic
answer, bigdog. So, I open the console do I?

How do I get at it if the driver's door is locked? Great solution! Why is
it your business if I'm busy or not?

On the positive side, ewill3rd, I get your point, but no Wal Mart for me
so I walk, trot, jog a mile or two to get a battery. Good idea. By the way,
I looked high and low for the lock cylinder to insert the key, but guess
what, I couldn't find it. Maybe it's in the manual that bigdog suggested I
read -as if I hadn't read it already.

Meanwhile I talked to the service guy at my dealership, since I have
such a busy schedule, and even learned how to spell the word. His
suggestion was to have the battery checked when I bring the car in
for servicing. I phoned GM to ask what the key was for and they said
it locked the glove compartment! Hmmm.

Are we talking about the same car? An '05 STS V8?

bigdog9586
02-02-07, 03:14 PM
Ok since you don't have a manual availible I will give you a step by step. I just went out in my garage and walked up to the LEFTdrivers door and took my niffty little Cadillac key and found a little circle that looks like it is stainless the size of a dime and built right into the pull handle. Guess what, it has a vertical slot in it that fits my key perfectly. I stuck it in and turned it to the RIGHT and guess what? My door popped open. It's was magic.
=================
By the way, I looked high and low for the lock cylinder to insert the key, but guess what, I couldn't find it. Maybe it's in the manual that bigdog suggested I read -as if I hadn't read it already.

caddycruiser
02-02-07, 05:23 PM
It's so simple...all STS's also come with normal keys and DO have a key cylinder right on the driver's door handle.

Yet some still can't figure it out. Why? Unless there are some cars out there that randomly don't have the one key cylinder...but I highly doubt there'd be 2 different versions of a driver's door handle (and they have to all be designed this way so you CAN get in if all is dead).

northlites
02-02-07, 08:04 PM
:hide: I get it, bigdog, caddy cruiser etal.

I spent the mega-bucks on a car not a book but fortunately you're
around to lead me down the path of righteousness since the car is as
user friendly as a patch of poison ivy. Who would have thought that
you had to read the fine print in the manual to get the door open with
a key? Isn't it curious that the GM rep at head office didn't know all
this?
Sarcasm is what wives do best but thanks for the interest you've
taken and the information you've divulged.

:thepan:

ewill3rd
02-02-07, 08:53 PM
The lock cylinder should be integrated into the door handle.
The points our previous posters are trying to make are valid, even though their methodology is rather crude.

One referred to a pocket in the console, in a low fob battery condition there is a special antenna positioned near a small pocket in the rear right corner of the center console compartment that will pick up a transmitter if it is placed in that little slot.

There are only 2 lock cylinders on the car, one in the driver's door handle and one in the glove box door. The door lock cylinder is to manually release the door latch should the car's battery be dead or the transmitter not be able to identify you to the vehicle.

Here is an illustration of the lock cylinder location.

northlites
02-02-07, 11:50 PM
Well finally ewill3rd,

A definitive answer. Thanks.:thumbsup:

ewill3rd
02-03-07, 08:22 AM
You are most welcome.
:D

robert
02-03-07, 08:27 AM
Also the key fits the lock to the little door behind the rear center folding arm rest that has an opening into the trunk.

bigdog9586
02-03-07, 09:13 AM
Really glad to help. I checked your public profile out and you listed under occupation "No one will hire me." Now that you know how to open your door maybe now someone will hire you.:lildevil:
=========================

:hide: I get it, bigdog, caddy cruiser etal.

I spent the mega-bucks on a car not a book but fortunately you're
around to lead me down the path of righteousness since the car is as
user friendly as a patch of poison ivy. Who would have thought that
you had to read the fine print in the manual to get the door open with
a key? Isn't it curious that the GM rep at head office didn't know all
this?
Sarcasm is what wives do best but thanks for the interest you've
taken and the information you've divulged.

:thepan:

northlites
02-03-07, 04:13 PM
:cloud9: Over and out, bigdog

I had a job once but didn't like
all the work. My counsellor suggested that I stop showing up for
interviews in my pajamas smoking a joint. Well screw him, I want my
sunny personality to win the day for me!

bigdog9586
02-03-07, 04:30 PM
A man with humor. Hope you didn't get to upset with me playing with you. I get so tired of some of the same old boring replies. To be serious I hope you have your problem fixed and enjoy your STS as much as I enjoy mine. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out all the buttons, options, etc without looking at the book. Same way I tackle software on my computer. Only read the book if all else fails. The Nav is what gives me fits. I have a portible Iway 500 that cost a quarter of the STS system and is hands down better. My Honda even had a better Nav.

northlites
02-03-07, 09:58 PM
:dance: Encourage me at your own risk,
bigdog.

I like my red rocket, even though it's blue, once I get
inside and put it in launch mode.
But my day's work is done. I got you walking around your car. Ha!
So what makes you think I was upset by anything you wrote?

bigdog9586
02-04-07, 09:38 AM
I also have a red rocket and it's really red. :-)