: Recommended Wheel Cleaner ?

tx_metabaron
01-22-07, 04:05 PM
I have the stock pads that do a LOT of dust,haven't changed them yet.
My wheels are dirty a day after cleaning with regular soap/detergent.

SooOoo the question is:
Do you guys have any wheel cleaner that you'd recommend over others?

Thanks

rand49er
01-22-07, 04:29 PM
I got Hawk pads (front only), and their dust is just a heavy but is very light colored thus doesn't show as much.

For me, the best cleaner is just plain old roll up your sleeves, take a soft rag and a bucket of soapy water, and get your hands/fingers in there and rub.

Boy, if anybody else has anything else, I'm gonna watch this thread very closely. :)

joshdctsv
01-22-07, 04:29 PM
I liked the results from using Rejex on a clean wheel. The dust that did manage to stick wiped off super-easy. Search the forum for threads discussing it. Pretty good product.

Since going to Hawk pads, though, it's been a non-issue.

odla
01-22-07, 04:47 PM
hey josh which hawk pads? can yo post some part numbers for the pads. also how many miles did you get from the stock pads?

V-Max
01-22-07, 05:13 PM
P21S is the best and one of the most expensive that I have found. I use the spray, not the gel. TUV approved for your Italian made wheels. Stay away from American Eagle products.

Norm

stkshkr
01-22-07, 05:14 PM
Mequires "Hot Rims" best stuff going. Spray on, rinse off...easy

joshdctsv
01-22-07, 05:50 PM
hey josh which hawk pads? can yo post some part numbers for the pads. also how many miles did you get from the stock pads?
I dont recall the part number (if you search this forum you'll find several good discusions on them) but I did get them at tirerack so you may want to take a look there.

I got 30k miles on my stock pads.

mike041357
01-22-07, 06:28 PM
Use Dawn dish soap and water. Save your money from the other products for the Hawk HPS pads.......mucho better :yup:

odla
01-22-07, 06:33 PM
thanks josh

tx_metabaron
01-22-07, 07:18 PM
Use Dawn dish soap and water. Save your money from the other products for the Hawk HPS pads.......mucho better :yup:

:thumbsup: I never thought of that( power of marketing right there ,why use something almost free when you can buy something less useful ;) ).
Just tried it and it works great.
The brake dust wipes off very easily,wheels now look great.

Thanks all for your inputs!

CVP33
01-22-07, 07:29 PM
I've tried:

Dupont - Pure crap
Eagle 1 - Over priced crap
Meguiar's - Better but not great either
Armor All cleaner - About as good as plain water
Discount Auto Parts brand - Better than all of the above but still not great

Mother's - The best I've ever used. Spray it on liberally and let soak for 3 minutes. Only one I've seen that will take ALL the brake dust off. SAM's Club had it but has sold out for the winter. It was only like $9.74 for a 3 pack. I should've bought cases of the stuff. :thumbsup:

tx_metabaron
01-22-07, 08:04 PM
Mother's - The best I've ever used. Spray it on liberally and let soak for 3 minutes. Only one I've seen that will take ALL the brake dust off. SAM's Club had it but has sold out for the winter. It was only like $9.74 for a 3 pack. I should've bought cases of the stuff. :thumbsup:

Is is this one (https://store.mothers.com/product_info.php?products_id=17)you're talking about ?

Rockafella
01-22-07, 08:30 PM
Mequires "Hot Rims" best stuff going. Spray on, rinse off...easy

Ditto...........now if I could just find a brush to fit between the caliper and the wheel.....

Dennisscars
01-22-07, 10:44 PM
Dawn works good but works too well and will pull your wax off.

I just put on my third set of Brimbo stock pads with chrome stockers - coat of rejex, spray on simple green, wheel brush, rinse with DI water no need to wipe dry with DI water. :D

sy1172
01-23-07, 06:31 AM
Simple soap and water always works wonders here. I too have the stock pads and can't really complain about the dust. I've had cars with worse for sure.

Get a good wheel brush and use warm water.

The Tony Show
01-23-07, 07:12 AM
Denniscars is right about Dawn (or any dishsoap) in that it will remove wax from the wheel, making future cleanings more difficult.

Spray on, hose off cleaners tend to be pretty caustic, and I worry about the effects of them over time on my wheel finish.

I'm a Griot's Garage nut, so I use his Wheel Cleaner. Wet the wheel, spray on and immediately scrub off with the soft brush of your choice. Works great, smells good, and it's BBS approved.

sy1172
01-23-07, 07:23 AM
When I stated soap, I meant car wash soap, certainly not dish soap. You are correct, that will strip any wax off.

Wheel cleaners are acid and will over time harm the finish on the wheel, especially if applied when the wheel is warm or hot. Do not let the stuff dry on the wheel. I have used it for years on the BBS wheels on my Aero and it sure shows now with some peeling and discoloration. Reason I mention the BBS part is that they do make a top quality wheel (I suspect perhaps better than we have on our V's) and it was harmed.

kgoch
01-23-07, 07:40 AM
I use Mother's or Mequiar's, both are good, but I think Mother's sprays on more evenly. I use a Mequiar's brush. It is about a foot and a half long with long bristles. It will go between the caliper and wheel and will clean the wheel the whole way to the inside of the rim. About $5-6.00 at k-mart.

The Tony Show
01-23-07, 08:06 AM
When I stated soap, I meant car wash soap, certainly not dish soap. You are correct, that will strip any wax off.

Wheel cleaners are acid and will over time harm the finish on the wheel, especially if applied when the wheel is warm or hot. Do not let the stuff dry on the wheel. I have used it for years on the BBS wheels on my Aero and it sure shows now with some peeling and discoloration. Reason I mention the BBS part is that they do make a top quality wheel (I suspect perhaps better than we have on our V's) and it was harmed.

That's why I like Griot's: It's the only one I've ever seen that is approved by BBS as being safe for their wheels (even has a little BBS logo on the bottle). Never let it soak, just spray and brush, then rinse. It even smells like candy, which is great since your face is in pretty close proximity to the wheel when you're cleaning it. Most wheel chemicals make my nose burn, but this one makes me crave candy!

CVP33
01-23-07, 04:39 PM
Is is this one (https://store.mothers.com/product_info.php?products_id=17)you're talking about ?

Yup! That's it.

Seattle CTS-V
01-23-07, 05:06 PM
Simple green. Spray on before you wash the rest of the car and by the time you get to them the brake dust wipes off very easily with soap and water.

BadCad
01-23-07, 05:59 PM
My recommended wheel cleaner works at hand-wash car place near here. Easiest method I've come across yet. ;)

C66 Racing
01-23-07, 10:19 PM
Yup! That's it.

For what its worth, AMSOIL just partnered with Mothers and now the entire Mothers line is avaible from AMSOIL. The Mothers Wheel Mist All Wheel Cleaner is listed as AMSOIL product 05924SN. Though the AMSOIL retail price is listed higher than the link direct to Mothers above, for those who are AMSOIL Preferred Customers (link in my sig) the price is about 10% under the price available direct from Mothers.

If anyone wants actual price info, please drop me a PM as AMSOIL policy prohibits me from posting pricing online, but allows sharing it "privately".

I haven't bought any of this yet, but intend to get a few bottles and try it out myself on my CTS-V and Vette wheels. :cheers:

sy1172
01-24-07, 08:15 AM
mmmm, Amsoil, that stuff is the best!!! (the oil that is)!

0W-30

Florian
01-24-07, 09:28 AM
P21S is the best and one of the most expensive that I have found. I use the spray, not the gel. TUV approved for your Italian made wheels. Stay away from American Eagle products.

Norm

+1 on P21s. And you can buy the 5litre refill bottle pretty cheap.

F

ctsvett
01-25-07, 12:26 AM
I use diluted simple green.. Key with this is to only put it on COLD wheels.... Let 'em cool or do it before you drive.

Reed