: Oil Chang Light Stays On

arivera
01-22-07, 03:41 PM
Hey guys. I Hope someone can help me out. Just changed the oil on my 93 fleetwood rwd. change oil light stays on. did the decribed procedure of pressing the gas 3 times in five seconds. nothing. not even my mechanic know what to do. can anyone help me out?

jayoldschool
01-22-07, 06:15 PM
Just in case:

1. key in
2. turn key to "run" NOT START (car is not running)
3. press gas to floor three times, slowly
4. light should go out

Good luck!
Jason.

caddycruiser
01-22-07, 06:22 PM
Yes^^.

My father somehow does it wrong sometimes too, so I would at least double check your technique as that would be a very odd problem otherwise.

But if it persists...hmm...

codewize
01-22-07, 09:35 PM
I usually give it a good pumping just to make sure. Probably hit it 4 or five times within the 5 second. Just make sure you're getting it all the way to the floor. The sensor is at WOT.

arivera
01-23-07, 01:46 PM
I pushed it all the way to the floor. still nothing. i read somewhere that the 93 fwd had an issue on some where the tps sensor would be at fault. anything on that?

codewize
01-23-07, 01:49 PM
No info on that. Mine works flawlessly at 195k miles, TPS has never been replaced.

Adam
01-24-07, 12:44 PM
my 93 used to stay on all the time. id change the oil, pump three times and it would kick off and turn right back on about two miles down the road. take the bulb out if it gets to you.

caddycruiser
01-24-07, 04:56 PM
my 93 used to stay on all the time. id change the oil, pump three times and it would kick off and turn right back on about two miles down the road. take the bulb out if it gets to you.

Well, then you're not alone. Our '93s still works, but does look like there must be a minor sensor issue somewhere in some of the cars.

ewill3rd
01-24-07, 09:41 PM
Try getting an assistant and opening the hood.
Get your hands on the throttle linkage (I am not sure if that is easy on that car or not, it has been a while)
Have your assistant turn the key on and then cycle the lever 3 times by hand under the hood to WOT and see if that does it.
Sometimes the TPS doesn't see sufficient voltage to read WOT due to limitations of the linkage system.

Also on some cars (Escalades are really bad about this) make sure the PCM is going to "sleep".
Turn the key off and count to 20, then turn the key on and cycle the pedal, then shut the key off for another 20 count.
This ensures the PCM is asleep before you turn the key on and after you turn it off. Many PCMs won't reset the OLM counter unless they go through a complete wake up and sleep routine during the reset.
Does that make sense?

wingerr
02-03-07, 06:23 PM
What is it that trips the "change oil" light? I just changed the oil, and the light came on afterwards. Does it go by oil pressure or something? I put in 10W30 synthetic; thought maybe the oil pressure dropped with the low viscosity and caused the light to come on.
I'll have to try the reset procedure to see if it'll clear it, but was still curious what set it off in the first place.