: Changing rear tailight fillers on a '91

Destroyer
01-21-07, 05:57 PM
Just got new fillers for the rear tailights, how hard is it to change them?. Doesn't look like I need to remove the rear bumper. Hope it isn't that much of a PITA. Thanks.

77CDV
01-21-07, 08:25 PM
Not sure about 91, but for 77, you just remove the tail lights, then undo the bolts holding the fillers in place (scoot under the car, they're easy to see). I don't recall 91 being too different. It's kind of a tight work space, maybe an hour's work. Shouldn't be too much trouble. Good luck.

Craig

Destroyer
01-22-07, 09:34 AM
Thats exactly what I thought I'd have to do but didn't want any surprises. Thanks man.

drlowz
01-26-07, 02:03 AM
I just changed them on my 81 brougham and the bumper had to be removed...

KaddyKat
01-26-07, 08:45 AM
which are better, the fiberglass kind or the abs plastic ones? Seems like
the abs would be.

Destroyer
01-26-07, 06:05 PM
I think the ones I bought are the plastic ones. Much harder than the stock ones. I got one side done as I still have to paint the other side and it took a bit longer than I thought. The old one was much more flexible than the replacement and could be bent in to fit right. I had to loosen the tailight assembly to get the new harder one to fit but it worked out fine and I did not have to remove the bumper. Instead of taking them to a paint shop I was able to almost perfectly match the color with store bought spray cans. Came out nice and glossy too. Primered it, painted it and then shot it with a gloss coat. :thumbsup: