: Which Caddy Would You Get?

GMBOUND
01-21-07, 05:53 PM
Though I'm new to the cadillacforum, I have spent weeks researching cadillac vehicles, and to be truthful I had to register to ask for you folks help.

I currently own a 2004 Grand Prix GTP and I'm perflectly happy with it, except for the fact that I leased it instead of buying it from the start.

I've always wanted a Cadillac as of right now, I'm not completely satisfied with any Caddy but the STS-V which cost extremely too much, even with PEP 3 price.

In 2005 I drove a STS and loved it. The feature I just had to have is the push button start and key fob. Why this is not on every Cadillac, I can't explain.

The Escalade looks great but still is missing a great deal of key features that should be included in a vehicle @ $60K. So therefore I chose to wait another year for Caddy to add them!

I currently have a 2007 CTS-V tagged but I must say, it appears that there are more unhappy customers than completely satisfied customers giving feedback on this website which makes me look elsewhere.

My driving habits, I love driving fast back and forth to work, but when my family rides with me I must have room for two car seats. I'm 6'3" and usually which ever child sits behind me will have their feet in my back the whole trip.

Is the CTS-V that bad of a vehicle? Would you lease it and wait for the new model CTS-V to come out. Is there any owners who like to keep theirs till the wheels fall off?

I like the STS V8 but hate the fact that to get the H.U.D., that I've grown accustomed to from my GTP, you have to get all of the other crap included only in the 1SG package.

I drove an 2006 SRX from Kansas City to Houston, TX and back and loved everything about it except the exterior looks. National had just got it that day and when I returned it, it had 2000 miles on it!

I really can't explain it but I really want a "Cadillac" but I just can't find one that fits my wants and needs exactly.

Value wise the trailblazer SS looks a lot better than the CTS-V, except for the 4-speed tranny and the fact that I already sold one to my neighbor, so how would I look bringing another one to the street?

Please help. Are there any success stories out there? Is major mods required for every CTS-V to be satisfied? Which STS V6 0r V8 is easier to Mod?
Anyword on the new body style STS?

urbanski
01-21-07, 06:05 PM
your questions are mostly CTS-V related, so i moved this here.
you could ask specific questions about other models in their forum as well.

welcome and good luck.

90Brougham350
01-21-07, 06:05 PM
Being an online forum, alot of guys come here to gripe and moan. True, the CTS-V does have some rear-end problems, but what you're not seeing is the overwhelming support from happy owners. After all, why post unless you need help with a problem? You wouldn't be dissapointed with a V, but don't take it from me. Post in the V forum and see what kind of a response you get there, it'll blow you away with how great the V's really are!

ChicagoCTS32
01-21-07, 06:07 PM
You've got a lot of things going on in this post... If you're 6'3" (so am I) the CTS seat needs to be about 90-95% back to be comfortable. The CTS-V doesn't need to be heavily modified for the owners to be happy, but most of the people on this forum are tinkerers and those are the guys you hear the most from. Straight from the factory, it is a brutal machine... 400hp, 400lb-ft, luxury, fast, great handling, sharp looks. If you're using it as a daily driver, I'm not sure you if you'll enjoy "rowing the boat" daily. Every day I drive my CTS back and forth to work in traffic I'm glad I have an automatic. Every weekend and evening night I venture out I wish I had a stick.
Buying the last model year of the current generation CTS-V might be kind of a kick in the re-sale value initially. Typically old gen cars drop in value when a new gen is introduced. The new CTS is a little bit larger, maybe you might want to wait until you can drive one of those before you make a decision.
Although the SRX does look like a tall station wagon, I think in N* AWD version it's a nice ride. Plenty of power and space for your family and 2 car seats.
The trailblazer SS is pretty sweet looking, but I'm sure the gas mileage would not be much fun if you had a long commute with that 4 speed. I drove one last summer at a Chevy marketing event and it was nice, but I don't have any use for a vehicle that big.
Have you looked at the new GMT900 based Escalade or just the older version? The new ones are hot and a whole new step above the old ones. If I had to have an SUV, the new Escalade would be my first choice (short wheel base or EXT).
No news on the new STS... expect some new news in a year or 18 months. Perhaps you'll see some spy photos in 9-12 months.

To directly comment on "it appears that there are more unhappy customers than completely satisfied customers giving feedback on this website which makes me look elsewhere." I say: Bad news travels faster than good news. It sure would be a boring forum if all the threads were about how good my car was running ;)

Good luck and :welcome:

rand49er
01-21-07, 06:13 PM
... You wouldn't be dissapointed with a V ...You tagged a CTS-V? Did you drive it? If not, go ahead and drive it, then (as someone else here often says) try to convince yourself you don't want it.

Won't happen. ;)

90Brougham350
01-21-07, 06:19 PM
Haha, I wish I could have the pleasure of driving one. I've been able to go over one with a fine-tooth comb and read hundreds of posts in here, that was good enough to convince me.

ta206
01-21-07, 06:22 PM
I gotta tell you, I went to the local Caddy store to buy an STS. I drove it and liked it. Then I mentioned that I'd be trading my Corvette for it and the salesman asked me why I didn't drive the CTS/V. I drove it and bought it on the spot. It's been in the shop for a radiator and two rear ends and a Nav unit, but it's still one hell of a ride and it puts a smile on my face whenever I push the "Go" pedal or go around a long sweeping bend. It's an incredible automobile.

dqw1
01-21-07, 06:30 PM
Well, I'm very happy with my CTS-V. (04 W/35K miles). I love the power, the looks and it's comfortable, which was proven on a round trip from Huntsville Alabama to Killeen Texas. You could leave it stock and have enough muscle or you could do like most of us here and mod it. Mine is a daily driver. I've never broke a diff and any issues I've had have been handled by the warranty. So you hear alot bad about the this car or any car on a forum and you have to expect that. I say look at one, test drive and read our polls on V ownership, it might change your mind. I call my experience a success story. This is by far the best car I've ever owned, driven, or rode in. For me, it's the perfect balance of performance and driving experience.

HiTechRV
01-21-07, 06:37 PM
The 2007 CTS-V has most of the quirks worked out. On these forums you see problems in much greater proportion to "no problem" posts. If you do a lot of side stepping of the clutch you'll probably toast the diff. You will have the 5 year warranty on a 2007. Do drive one - it will help you decide.

The biggest reason not to buy one new is the better deals on used ones. Even PEP 3 you will take a major depreciation hit driving off the lot.

The Trailblazer SS is an awesome vehicle too. Won't go wrong there. I think you need both.

GMBOUND
01-21-07, 07:55 PM
Thank You all so much. Your post were very comforting.

I have test drove a CTS-V in my hometown of Houston, TX (Tom Peacock) and yes I smiled the rest of the week. Problem is Prior to me going to Houston, the Bastard dealerships in Kansas City(Superior Cadillac) wouldn't let me drive it because the "Manager doesn't let folks test drive the V-Series."

Which leads me to my next problem - a "Good" Dealer to buy this car from in the Kansas City Area. One that will take care of the rear diff. problems if and when they pop up. I've had my share of Fights with GM dealers and yes it's a shame GM doesn't strong arm them and standardize the dealing/service process to give the customers the complete service we demand.

I also have an 06 GMC Envoy XL, so I'm trying to keep 1 car & 1 SUV in the stable, if you know what I mean.

(HiTechRV) that's sort of what I was thinking. But I couldn't put it past GM not to fully correct problems before build out, because they didn't do it for the GMT-370 program. I know!
Thanks for your replies, They really helped.

gary442
01-21-07, 08:21 PM
I have owned approx 30 cars over the years...mostly high performance. As an example: 2 Hemi Road Runners, 1 GTO with TriPower, 1 409 Checy Hardtop, 1 348 Chevy with Tri Power, a Corvette, 3 BMWs, A Taurus SHO plus numerous others I won't bore the CTS-V community with. Also, I have and still do ride high performance Motorcycles ( street only). I must say that the 2006 CTS-V I currently own is the absolute best bang for the buck you can get. For me it is the entire package e.g. tons of power and handling and I think, great looks plus good quality. Frankly, My most recent car was a 2002 BMW 5 Series with some mod work and I was going to buy a 2007 BMW M5 but when I saw the $109,000 sticker price plus a dealer markup of ANOTHER $20,000, I walked away.

A few days later , I was at the local Caddy dealer getting some touch up paint for my wifes 2005 CTS and saw that they had a Stealth Grey 2006 CTS-V. I was on my lunch hour and didn't have much time but took a test drive and boiught it on the spot.

Like any car , in my opinion, if you start extensive mods e.g. Nitrous, Supercharging, etc. you will risk the reliability.....from what I have seen, most issues arise on this vehicle from folks who are really pushing the vehicle to the limit. It's their car and they have the right to do so but remember if you treat this car with a little respect you'll have one of the best on the road.

rand49er
01-21-07, 08:45 PM
Thank You all so much. Your post were very comforting.

I have test drove a CTS-V in my hometown of Houston, TX (Tom Peacock) and yes I smiled the rest of the week. Problem is Prior to me going to Houston, the Bastard dealerships in Kansas City(Superior Cadillac) wouldn't let me drive it because the "Manager doesn't let folks test drive the V-Series."

Which leads me to my next problem - a "Good" Dealer to buy this car from in the Kansas City Area. One that will take care of the rear diff. problems if and when they pop up. I've had my share of Fights with GM dealers and yes it's a shame GM doesn't strong arm them and standardize the dealing/service process to give the customers the complete service we demand.

I also have an 06 GMC Envoy XL, so I'm trying to keep 1 car & 1 SUV in the stable, if you know what I mean.

(HiTechRV) that's sort of what I was thinking. But I couldn't put it past GM not to fully correct problems before build out, because they didn't do it for the GMT-370 program. I know!
Thanks for your replies, They really helped.Any dealer that wouldn't let you drive it, I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole ... go somewhere else. For cryin' out loud, the salesman could have gone with you if they were that worried ... what idiots!

As for dealers, yeah there are some losers out there, but there are many outstanding dealers ... you have to look for one, though. The one I bought from (and is a BIG supporting dealer here on this forum!) wouldn't even do a simple TSB on mine, so I changed dealers. The new dealer did my bushing TSB without a fuss and, after I told them I had a slight whine in my dif, actually suggested that they change it and put in an '06 dif!!! Yes, dealers like Lindsay and Chesrown (who are highly regarded on this forum for their strong customer-oriented attitude and service) are out there, and I would imagine finding one in the Kansas City area will meet with success on your part.

And, yes, I've owned a '64 tri-power GTO, a 350/350 '69 Corvette, three Taurus SHO's, and others -- all sticks -- and this is the best car by far. :yup:

Good luck and stay in touch with us!

Ross DeVore
01-21-07, 09:08 PM
Is there a "speedway" dealership in KC? I think so. I bought mine from them in Warrensburg, MO. It's an 04 ctsV and I love it. Traded a 2005 300C for it. I have a 07 Tahoe LTZ as well so I get the SUV/sedan thing. Haven't moded mine yet but most motor mods you hear about on here are for the LS6 CTS/Vs The car you're looking at is 07 with an LS2. Similiar power, no "maggie" available. You'll love the car. I have a lot of cars and always look for a reason to drive it. Also, if you get it your car won't have the skip shift 1-4 feature that some here have complained about on previous years but the one mod I'd would suggest to anyone would be a short throw shifter. Join the Club, it's a great car!

Jschmank
01-21-07, 10:15 PM
I bought my V in Topeka at Doug Richert, so far I am very happy. Check out this website, especially the surveys. You will see that most CTS V owners dont have many problems. http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html Also lots of good info here.

sy1172
01-22-07, 07:15 AM
Buy the V. They are built very well and drive as well as or in some areas better than a BMW, Mercedes or Audi.....plus they can be had for cheap ... used!

Mine is rock solid and I love it. Like any car, you drive it like an ass and yes you're going to have issues. Drive in a spirited manner and all will be ok.

Go drive one!!

PS. I've owned Audi, Benz and BMW products and this particular car is right up there, no question.

zozmanCTS-V
01-22-07, 07:41 AM
The wife wanted a"4-door Corvette" so she bought the CTS-V. This is our first Cadillac. We don't use it in the winter as we drive 4x4s here in Illinois. The car is luxurious and fast, reasonably priced and solid. No issues with the car. The CTS-V is a consumer's best buy. Test drive one if possible.

Randy