: Best caddy for yacht towing w\ bling

florida_sailor
01-21-07, 02:38 PM
I'm looking for a 3rd vehicle as I need to have one capable of towing my racing sailboat. Any bling is a bonus. My requirements are:
- tow 4,000# boat w\ 5 passengers and baggage
- fun to bomb around town w\ wife and kids
- reliability a plus
- economical to fix, find mechanic,... a real plus
- cheap ($$ goes into the boat)

I've gathered the 93-96 Fleetwood with V4P towing package is the way I need to ride, any other comments\suggestions?

They seem to be hard to find w\ the towing package, or perhaps they are not advertised that way, would a carfax check show the tow package?

Not in a real hurry so think I can find one for $3k if I give it a month or two, realistic???

The Ape Man
01-21-07, 04:50 PM
Your tow vehicle should always weigh more than the stuff which you tow. Tongue weight and sway will be critical. Not fun. Been there. Braking can be very dangerous also even with a good trailer brake. I'd look for the largest boat Cadillac available. A '76 Deville is easier to maintain than an Eldorado and weighs 5000 lbs. First choice '71-'76 Deville or Fleetwood. 2nd choice similar vintage Eldorado. See you at the pump :D

JoCan
01-21-07, 08:27 PM
How about an Escalade? After all it is a truck and it has bling.

Cadillac Giovanni
01-21-07, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I hear escalades are quite beefy in terms of HP and towing capacity. They also have alot of room.

But I wouldn't be caught dead pushing those stupid things. They're a disgrace to the Cadillac name.

Red_October_7000
01-22-07, 12:25 AM
Agreed.
I'd buy a Chevrolet if I wanted a truck -a GMC if I wanted an esepcially luxurious truck. If I wanted a Cadillac I'd buy a Cadillac. The V4P cars are towing beasts and even more powerful than the usual Fleewoods. The way I understand it, you WILL have fun in one of these cars... I've never driven one but I'm trying to track one down now to give one a test drive and see if I like it.

BCs71
01-22-07, 02:28 PM
A V4P FW can be hard to find, just keep in mind that a standard FW or FW brougham 1993-6 can be easily converted to accomodate larger tarilering loads. There is a mechanical fan that can be added to the front of the engine and also rear end gears in either 3.42 or 3.73.
Aside from slight tranny line pressure and shift point changes, that is the only difference primarily.

I believe all FWs got the external tranny cooler, so you should be ok there...

bicentennialcadillac
01-22-07, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I hear escalades are quite beefy in terms of HP and towing capacity. They also have alot of room.

But I wouldn't be caught dead pushing those stupid things. They're a disgrace to the Cadillac name.

Why? The BOF V8 Escalade has more in common with the grand beasts of yore than anything else Cadillac is currently selling, both in structure and spirit.

90Brougham350
01-22-07, 09:23 PM
Yeah, but a lot of people see SUV's as modern-day station wagons.

caddycruiser
01-23-07, 12:15 PM
An Escalade is probably by far the best fit for towing power, room for people and their stuff, and having the bling factor. AND, if you want to get technical, they're the CLOSEST to representing what Cadillac has stood for across the test of time--big, brash, powerful, and a vehicle that a lot of people lust for. A lot of that may be a bit out of touch with the more recent turn of Cadillac, at least in sizing and construction, but they're one of the best.

But if you're still dead set against any kind of Escalade for whatever random reason, a '93-96 Fleetwood Brougham could very well be your ticket. A standard Brougham model should be able to do 5,000 lbs in towing with a fresh or firmed up ride, and a V4P model is completely set to go with the lower rear gear, firmer ride, and performance tuning.

The latter is quite hard to find, yes, and even more so because most sellers don't realize the package is there and don't mention it, but you can ultimately find one if you keep searching and keep your eyes peeled. Look, #1, for a round mechanical fan shroud in the front of the engine compartment, and beyond that, the SPID label in the trunk would be the other key source of info (V4P the main code, with FE2, GU6, V08, etc.).

From the sound of things, scoring a '94-96 LT1 powered Fleetwood Brougham with the V4P package might be just the right ticket, if there's nothing else that attracts you.

caddycruiser
01-23-07, 04:41 PM
Speak of the devil--a V4P! About 2 hours north of me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-Cadillac-Fleetwood-NR_W0QQitemZ120078440375QQihZ002QQcategoryZ6149QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some trim issues inside and out, but otherwise looks solid...and still a 7,000lb towing beast.

CaddymanTom
01-23-07, 05:58 PM
How is this for Bling? I used to tow my boat with my 1985 FWB. It wasnt the quickest off the line but sure got the looks at the boat ramp:bouncy:

florida_sailor
01-23-07, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info, I've got no problems with an Escalade .... except the price is bound to be way above my budget

Test drove a 94 fleetwood today and liked the ride, that car had been ridden hard but I know thre are some cherry ones out there

Caddyman, I looked at the link but didn't see it advertised as V4P, am I missing something?, I'll look again

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-23-07, 09:10 PM
Do you have any issues against a 472 or 500 powered '70s Calais, DeVille or Fleetwood?

caddycruiser
01-23-07, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the info, I've got no problems with an Escalade .... except the price is bound to be way above my budget

Test drove a 94 fleetwood today and liked the ride, that car had been ridden hard but I know thre are some cherry ones out there

Caddyman, I looked at the link but didn't see it advertised as V4P, am I missing something?, I'll look again

Like I said in the other post, almost no one selling a Fleetwood so equipped even knows it, let alone mention it in their ad. So, to re-iterate:

Look, #1, for a round mechanical fan shroud in the front of the engine compartment, and beyond that, the SPID label in the trunk would be the other key source of info (V4P the main code, with FE2, GU6, V08, etc.).

The car at the Ebay link has the mechanical fan shroud (that's always the most common giveaway when it isn't mentioned nor the SPID label under the trunk shown)--and ONLY V4P tow package '93-96 Fleetwood's were so equipped. Take a look at the underhood pic and it's pretty clear--that's a V4P car.

Even for more help, here's a little comparo.

Base/Brougham/else not Towing equipped (dual electric fans and no bubble shroud):
http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/79/59/2db7_3.JPG

And a V4P car (mechanical fan & shroud):
http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/86/8a/1a83_3.JPG
http://i14.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/86/8a/1e5a_3.JPG

florida_sailor
01-24-07, 08:22 PM
Cruiser, thanks for the explanation. I now know enough to be dangerous. All that is left to do is find a nice one near my house.

Cheers,

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-24-07, 08:29 PM
With the electric fans, does the 350 sound a lot different? My Roadmaster had the V92 (that's correct isn't it) towing package, so it had the mechanical fan and whenever I'd rev it up, I'd hear the roaring of the fan, not the V8 sound.

caddycruiser
01-24-07, 08:35 PM
With the electric fans, does the 350 sound a lot different? My Roadmaster had the V92 (that's correct isn't it) towing package, so it had the mechanical fan and whenever I'd rev it up, I'd hear the roaring of the fan, not the V8 sound.

Uh, good question. Technically, the engine "sound" is the same, it's just that where there's that relatively strong air roar at times with the mechanical fans that overpowers it, there's nothing with the electrics (unless they've kicked on, but even then, you hardly hardly hear that from inside). Not LT1's, but our '92 Roadie with the L05 and mechanical fan does have more air sound than anything, and the '93 FWB with the L05 and electric fans is still almost silent but you definitely can hear the true engine note more under power.

I've never actually heard an LT1 with the mechanical fan in person, but I have wondered--as is, my electric fan'd '95 has even less of an engine note than the '93, so again, you'd likely just hear mostly air roar in stock form.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-24-07, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I can remember driving up my street with the windows down, with a cold motor, and all I could hear was the roar of the fan over any sounds the 350 might have been making, I didn't like it at all, I wanted to hear more of the 350!

One customer at my work has two '96 Caprices, both with LT1s and I think both have the trailer tow packages, so I've yet to hear an LT1 without the mechanical fan!

caddycruiser
01-24-07, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I can remember driving up my street with the windows down, with a cold motor, and all I could hear was the roar of the fan over any sounds the 350 might have been making, I didn't like it at all, I wanted to hear more of the 350!

One customer at my work has two '96 Caprices, both with LT1s and I think both have the trailer tow packages, so I've yet to hear an LT1 without the mechanical fan!

We're completely opposite then--and yes, drive dad's Roadmaster when it's cold down the road, and you'll think you're a helicopter with no exhaust note.