: Is Seafoam safe to use in a Northstar?

STS127
01-21-07, 12:37 PM
A friend of mine used Seafoam in his old dodge pickup and said in his opinion it worked well. I know Cadillac does not reccomend any oil additives to be used but has anybody ever tried it or is it lethal to the engine.

CadillacSTS42005
01-21-07, 12:52 PM
its specifically said on their web sight i believe DO NOT USE IN THE CADILLAC NORTHSTAR

codewize
01-21-07, 02:03 PM
I think we've discussed oil additives to death here. The general consensus is the N* was tested for several days at WOT and 5W-30 in the crankcase. There's no reason to add anything to the oil or fuel.

Use the recommended oil and that's it. This isn't an old Dodge or a 69 Camero. It's a new generation of engine.

I used Lucas in every car I've ever owned and if I had to choose an additive that would be it. After reading around the board here I have stopped putting anything in my oil in the N*.

Cadillacboy
01-21-07, 02:12 PM
From a friend of mine .He had a '93 Cadillac STS and he put a Restore in car prior to doing that he well praised that stuff.What happened later ?
He complaint about more piston slaps .
Today's oil suppliers add some additives in their products so that it well does its purpose to the end .
For old engines additives might be useful but especially for a new engine that would do more harm than good imho

eldorado1
01-21-07, 03:16 PM
You mean you want to put.... water, alcohol, and lighter fluid in your engine oil? Does that even make sense?:thepan:

Submariner409
01-23-07, 10:30 AM
:banghead: We've been through this a hundred times over the past year. If your '96 has had somewhat regular oil and filter changes, using any sort of decent oil, the inside of the engine is as clean as the day it was built. You would accomplish the same result as solvent cleaning if you would change the oil and filter at the end of a long highway trip, when all the microscopic soot and dust is suspended in the oil. Drain it out, don't wash it out.

Murphyg
01-25-07, 10:55 PM
Better Q even....
Is there a problem that you feel you need to address and you believe an additive will fix it ??

If so, then would recomend that you fix what needs to be fixed properly.