: 2004 SRX N* noisy on cold start up

King3244
01-21-07, 10:38 AM
My newly purchased SRX has what sounds like a top of the engine rattle on cold start up. Sounds like a lifter noise although I realize they don't have lifters. It goes away as soon as it warms up. Mileage is 48,000.

I am taking it in shortly under warranty..... I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Also I have a clunk in the right front when turning while going over bumps much like the dreaded clunk in the STS.

Thanks, King

King3244
01-21-07, 10:49 AM
Sorry about that people I just noticed the other post about the same noise and I couldn't get my original post deleted.

SoccerDad
01-22-07, 11:10 AM
Hey - no problem - actually a blessing - I have an 04 srx with 33K miles and just noticed the same noise! I was on the site looking for a similar posted problem. Almost sounds to me like a timing gear that gets some oil and quites down - I swear I can hear a slight knock for a while longer until warm - only does it after it sits quite a while - all other starts are whisper quiet and smooth. I just scheduled a warranty session at the dealer for Thursday morning.

What turned out to be the problem with yours!?!?!?!?

King3244
01-22-07, 07:54 PM
I haven't had mine in yet. I need to make arrangements as I will need to leave it overnight so they can start it cold and I need a service loaner or something.

Let me know how your warranty session goes.

BTW....I was checking on Technical Service Bulletins and there is one for N* engine rattle on cold start up......two actually, one for a noise that goes away within 2-3 seconds .......number 01454 and one for noise that persists awhile.....number 01454A (same number with an A) Thats my problem.

SoccerDad
01-26-07, 06:50 AM
Well, day one of the session began early - our dealer is awesome - brand new DTS as a loaner and hot coffee and I hit the road - unfortunately this is going to be a long process I fear - they have heard the noise and are still trying to "isolate" the cause.

That can mean 2 things - #1 it is minor and they want to have the extra day to make sure they caugt it - or #2 they are all laying hands on it and praying because it is serious.

At least the DTS has satellite radio - I already miss this SRX!!!!!!!!!!

King3244
01-26-07, 03:36 PM
I took mine in Wednesday evening and when I phoned Thursday afternoon my service adviser was out but the guy I talked to said that "we are waiting for parts". I called my adviser again today but haven't heard back from her yet. I am wondering the same thing.......parts for what? from where?

SoccerDad
01-26-07, 05:09 PM
Day #2 - Hmmmmm...........They are still the best bunch of guys in town, but they're at a loss.

They hear it. It's not normal. It may be serious. They want to keep it another day, and work on it on Saturday?!?!?!

No problem here, but man I have never heard anyone more frustrated that they can't isolate the cause. Exploratory surgery may come next.

dcarr66
01-27-07, 07:56 AM
BTW....I was checking on Technical Service Bulletins and there is one for N* engine rattle on cold start up......

Where can I get a list of TSBs?

King3244
01-27-07, 01:02 PM
Google search Technical Service Bulletins

SoccerDad
01-27-07, 05:39 PM
OK they found it. They described it to me as one of 4 actuators for the camshafts - researching it I think they mean camshaft position sensors.

They hold they camshaft still until after start up to insure quiet starts.

The more I learn about this engine the more impressed I am and the more helpless I feel. Gone are the days of tearing down my '71 Camaro's 350 in my dad's garage overnight. You need a degree in electrical engineering now.

Check out - http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1569/article.html - pretty amazing technology........

I'll never feel guilty about letting this one rip again!

King3244
01-27-07, 08:20 PM
Okay so how much to fix it and how long to fix it and did they find it under a tsb?

I contacted my service adviser yesterday (friday) and she said waiting for parts. Which parts says I? A new module for the automatic park assist and some trim parts.

What about the engine noise on cold start and the clunk in the front end. "Oh we didn't hear any engine noise and he hasn't looked at the front end yet". It should be done by monday afternoon.

So now it sits all weekend. I believe even though I took it in so it could sit overnight so they could hear the cold engine noise that the guy didn't read the work order, fired it up and drove it into the bay. Then he tries to replicate the problem after the car has warmed up.......which it won't do.

He will fire it up monday sometime and unless he is deaf he will hear the noise and only then start trying to fix that problem and finally maybe at some point he will road test it so that he can hear the front end clunk. I can see that I am going to be driving the service loaner (a 07 dts) for awhile yet.

This problem I fear is heading for a showdown between me and the service manager.

Sorry to be so long and for the rant but I needed to vent!

King

FarEast
01-28-07, 01:49 AM
OK they found it. They described it to me as one of 4 actuators for the camshafts - researching it I think they mean camshaft position sensors.

They hold they camshaft still until after start up to insure quiet starts.

The more I learn about this engine the more impressed I am and the more helpless I feel. Gone are the days of tearing down my '71 Camaro's 350 in my dad's garage overnight. You need a degree in electrical engineering now.

Check out - http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1569/article.html - pretty amazing technology........

I'll never feel guilty about letting this one rip again!

It is impressive. Now I know where the starter motor was hiding all this time :thumbsup:

As to your problem - actuator actually sounds right as a source of a problem.
Sensors are not in physical contact with anything spinning inside and should not produce sound under any condition. They would be damaged pretty soon if they were.

SoccerDad
01-28-07, 08:42 AM
Rant away - it's cool - that's why we're all here - support. Just remember Cadillac is way better than the other guys..............nobody looks the same or can claim the pre-WWII heritage.

Cost to me is zippo - under warranty - & time to repair is a day. If not under warranty I'm sure it would be costly - especially if you would have to rent transportation. After warranty I will use my back up 99 Aurora. That thing never breaks. Monday tear down and parts order - hopefully they arrive and I get it back as promised Tuesday - hey they've got to answer to Caddy for the loaner.

As for the diagnosis - that took 3 days. Remember that we live with the noise - we hear it a lot and probably didn't notice it the first couple of days either. There is a TSB out there but I can't find the notes on the fix - but the website link above talks quite a bit about the noise at start up if the accuators/sensors aren't there.

I think that the noise it prevents is more a desire for a quiet start up and less to prevent major damage.

When you get it back - drive it hard...............