: Cost for a new starter in a 93-97 Northstar?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-07, 09:33 PM
I've heard that it's quite expensive to install a new starter in a Northstar, how much could it be? Is it the labor or the part that makes it so expensive? We had a '96 K2500 with the 7.4L in for starter problems at my work, I looked at the bill and the starter was $400, and I believe the total service was like $563 or so, the service writer said most starters went for $250-$350. If the Northstar starter was about as much as the starter in the K2500, that wouldn't be so bad.

One of the main things my dad's got against the Northstar is the potential expensive starter repair, and the potential HG problem. He knows the HG problem is avoidable, but a starter could go out on any car, no matter how it was maintained (correct?). Now the odds that it'll go out are slim to nil, but my father and I both think of what's it's gonna cost me in the worst case scenario.

Ranger
01-20-07, 09:39 PM
Check rockauto for a price. Not a hard DIY job. That will save labor costs. Starter is under the intake manifold. Most people who have done one say in and out in about 1 hr.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-07, 09:47 PM
Really?! Wow! I heard it was incredibly hard and complex from the techs I work with, but then again, they're used to Chevys, not Caddys.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-07, 09:57 PM
Rockauto has the starter motor (is that right, it's the only thing I could find) for a '95 ETC anywhere from $133-$305.

For comparison purposes, the starter motor for my '92 deVille is anywhere from $60-$140. The starter motor for that '96 K2500 7.4L on rock auto is anywhere from $135-$240, so for a customer, at the dealer, a Northstar starter would be around $450-500 I'd assume, but I'm lucky on that aspect because I get pay wholesale prices on parts.

Cad tech
01-20-07, 10:06 PM
20 mins prop intake.....gravy job make sure to clean heads so you wont get intake leak

Ranger
01-20-07, 10:07 PM
Different prices are probably different manufacturers. I'd stick with A/C Delco. They are pretty reliable though. You'll probably never need one.

Cad tech
01-20-07, 10:14 PM
They are so protected from the elements they are rare to go out dont worry about starter since 92 I can count on 2 hands how many starters I have replaced or seen replaced....usally the only problem is that the main power nut becomes loose, you just tighten it up (13MM) and done...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-07, 10:18 PM
Cad tech, I take it you're a Cadillac technician working at a Caddy dealer. Do you Caddy techs think the Northstar is a total PITA to work on like the Chevy techs I work with? I wonder if they think that because it's so much more complex than the stuff they're used to. The Northstar is more like a BMW or M-B V8 than anything else GM makes.

Cad tech
01-20-07, 10:25 PM
Nope, it is to hard and complex for them to absorb...that is why they hate them..All engines have their faults...I work with guys that all they work on is duramax and allisons, I happen to think they are a pita, (cause I dont know them like they do lol) see how it works...Try out a Catera every Cadillac tech hates those OPel things lol....but once you get used to them they are fine...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-21-07, 12:16 AM
Ah ok. That solves one problem, the dealership I work for is a part of a chain of dealers, theres a Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC in that chain too, I could get a Northstar worked on there, and still get a discount on parts/labor.

Mountie
01-23-07, 02:20 AM
Do what I did when I replaced my entire Northstar. Talk to the Cad service mechanic about replacing your starter. You can do it, and not too much trouble. Everything is on top. Hell, 4 bolts ( ONLY the bolts for the injectors - not the injector cover bolts) and lay the sparkplug wires aside, raise the injectors assy, up & the starter is right there. Clean the underside while you're there.

Have a beer.

blb
01-23-07, 10:03 AM
He knows the HG problem is avoidable, but a starter could go out on any car, no matter how it was maintained (correct?).

How is the headgasket problem avoidable? If you are going to say proper maintenance is the answer, explain the failures that occur before the first scheduled coolant change. Although proper maintenace (scheduled coolant changes) will help the longevity of the gasket itself, it won't prevent the failures that occur when the headbolts pull out of the aluminum block. The starter is way at the bottom of the list when considering likely and expensive repairs you will be faced with as a Northstar owner.

Cad tech
01-23-07, 10:15 AM
Want to avoid it? fix coolant leaks as they appear, fix and overheat immediatly and 1/4 movement on needle above halfway, dont stomp on it on heavy inclines, watch also not to mix coolant and keep it fresh and if you add water add distilled...

blunted
01-23-07, 02:34 PM
I don't think the starter is that hard on the earlier years 93-94.. I was cleaning my phenolic spacer plates a few weeks ago and I was looking right at the starter the entire time. I had the intake held up by a couple 2X4's with only the plugs wires and air filter hose moved aside.. I might have need just a couple more inches of clearance to lift it off if I needed to replace it, otherwise you could probably change it out in an hour.. and that's coming from someone NOT mechanically inclined!

thatwolfofmine
04-23-07, 05:20 PM
They are so protected from the elements they are rare to go out dont worry about starter since 92 I can count on 2 hands how many starters I have replaced or seen replaced....usally the only problem is that the main power nut becomes loose, you just tighten it up (13MM) and done...

I think my starter just went today. All I'm getting is a grinding sound. I checked the battery connections, fine. Could a loose power nut cause this? Where is the power nut? I know you know I am a newbie, but I can do a lot with a little instruction. Please help!!:bouncy:

eldorado1
04-23-07, 07:18 PM
He means on the starter.

You'll have to pull the intake to find out either way... Better have a starter ready in case the terminals are tight and clean.

Ranger
04-23-07, 09:10 PM
I think my starter just went today. All I'm getting is a grinding sound.
Does it "screech"?

thatwolfofmine
04-24-07, 10:40 AM
Does it "screech"?

No. It just tries to turn over, and won't.

Ranger
04-24-07, 11:35 AM
Maybe a weak battery or a bad cable or connection if it won't turn over.

tiptoe
04-25-07, 02:56 PM
I am a complete novice and I changed my starter today in my wife's 97 eldorado. The head that extends into the flywheel was busted and grinding against the flywheel. Took me all of about an hour to take off what I needed to. The starter was about 115.00 at my local auto parts store with core exchange. I noticed a small crack in the block below or to the side of the starter so I mixed up some JB weld and patched er up a little and let it sit overnight. I put the whole thing back together in about a half hour " cause I didn't have to hunt for tools". That was easy. I hope my patch holds. For now I just put water in it. What should I but back in it as far as anti freeze goes????
Thanks
Stephen

Ranger
04-25-07, 09:34 PM
What should I but back in it as far as anti freeze goes????
Depends on what year you have. Pre '96, 50/50 green coolant and distilled water. '96+, 50/50 Dex and distilled water.

MonzaRacer
05-06-07, 01:33 PM
Heck it only shows 2.5 hrs flat rate and AZ has a new starter for 170.00 in my area.

UNCLLUIE
05-07-07, 08:53 PM
Don't know if this helps:

Had a new starter installed in my 02 ETC, at City Cadillac in Queens NY. $750

Tommy Deville
08-06-07, 03:56 PM
Mine just went out on me, left me stuck, Got the estimate its $494.00 I;m not sure if that was with or without the tow

rbrandon
08-06-07, 06:13 PM
Don't know if this helps:

Had a new starter installed in my 02 ETC, at City Cadillac in Queens NY. $750

you got ripped. big time. :alchi:

Tommy Deville
08-07-07, 04:48 PM
Mine just went out on me, left me stuck, Got the estimate its $494.00 I;m not sure if that was with or without the tow

$534.00 with the Tow......

:mad:

z06bigbird
08-08-07, 12:07 PM
If you are not afraid of headgasket problems and oil leaks in main case, then do a search here. Very expensive repair, even if you do get a discount.

Dad has been down the route.

Ever wonder about buying a lux car 10 years from now. These veh have tons of expensive hi tech parts on them. What 20 or 25 year old will be able to afford to fix some of these problems?

e.g., Lincolns have spec shocks, up to $900 each X 4. I like some Lincolns, but I have stayed miles away from buying one.

STSs with adaptive steering is another question that I have re expenses. Adaptive headlights, alum frames on BMWs. In a small fender bender on series 5 and 6 BMWs, you typically have to buy the front (one piece) cradle/front frame. About $2,000 plus labor.

My 87 FWB parts prices:
shocks--$20 for gasmatics X 4
ignit coil--$45.
Ignit module--$15.

Not much else to go wrong other than normal maint.

Compare these prices to a newer car and its repairs. The heater fan in the newer caddies looks like an armature from the space shuttle. Old heater fan motors--$30. This part--$350--FOR A HEATER FAN MOTOR.

Be careful re cars with expensive parts and labor.

Friend of mine bought a large older Mercedes for almost nothing. Car was somewhat famous because it was owned by a Texas millionnaire (Mr. HEB, grocery store chain.)

Problem was that car had a suspension system that originally cost about $5,000 20 years ago. No one today knows how to fix it; and, if you could buy parts, you and I could not afford them even if we pooled all of our $$.

Listen to Dad.