: Product Loyalty???

Infrared in Idaho
01-20-07, 05:19 PM
Recently purchased a 2004 Cadillac SRX in October 2006. Since that time I've only driven it two months. The rest of time it's been at the dealer. First visit was to diagnosis "Service Stability System" in the DIC. Result unknown, system fixed itself, service tech could not find cause. However, while checking under vehicle tech noticed front and rear pinion seals leaking. Seals replaced. Integrity Issue: Service Tech wrote up work order stating customer said vehicle was leaking oil. Apparently to jack up the bill. Second visit (three days after first visit), went to different dealer. Both dealers are Cadillac dealers located in the local area. Not thrilled with the first dealer, went to the second dealer. This time for the stupid "Check Engine" Light and rough idling. Computer throw back the following codes: P0016, P0018, P0302, P0303, P0305, P0306. This is where the product loyalty starts to be questioned. Codes P0016 and P0018 call for removing the cradle and oil pan and an inspection of the cam. Three "dots" have to line up in a certain way with a gear. The T.O. states 19 hours. Or $1,300 in labor and $54.00 in parts. Now this is where it gets good. While the Service Tech was finishing up underneath the vehicle he noticed two of the six bolts holding the drive shaft in place gone. That's right gone, as in NOT THERE! Now how could that have had happen? That's right, three days prior the other dealer replaced the pinion seals. And there is where product loyalty when up in smoke. According the Service "Advisor" the bolts are special order. GM only makes them when they need them. But there's a "kit" that contains the same two bolts costing $115. The Service Advisor found a "kit" at a dealer in a neighboring state. That was Tuesday morning. Five days later, the car is still sitting at the dealer waiting for two flipping bolts. Waiting for a "spec-tech" to be preformed before the part can be sent. I have never had so much grief with a vehicle. My 1993 Volvo 940 with 175,000 only one thing go bad, a coil pack. And that only took two hours to replace back in 1999. I will never buy a GM product again, especially when Cadillac is suppose to be the premier line of General Motors. NOT!!!:ripped:

syrob@MSN.COM
01-20-07, 06:14 PM
Recently purchased a 2004 Cadillac SRX in October 2006. Since that time I've only driven it two months. The rest of time it's been at the dealer. First visit was to diagnosis "Service Stability System" in the DIC. Result unknown, system fixed itself, service tech could not find cause. However, while checking under vehicle tech noticed front and rear pinion seals leaking. Seals replaced. Integrity Issue: Service Tech wrote up work order stating customer said vehicle was leaking oil. Apparently to jack up the bill. Second visit (three days after first visit), went to different dealer. Both dealers are Cadillac dealers located in the local area. Not thrilled with the first dealer, went to the second dealer. This time for the stupid "Check Engine" Light and rough idling. Computer throw back the following codes: P0016, P0018, P0302, P0303, P0305, P0306. This is where the product loyalty starts to be questioned. Codes P0016 and P0018 call for removing the cradle and oil pan and an inspection of the cam. Three "dots" have to line up in a certain way with a gear. The T.O. states 19 hours. Or $1,300 in labor and $54.00 in parts. Now this is where it gets good. While the Service Tech was finishing up underneath the vehicle he noticed two of the six bolts holding the drive shaft in place gone. That's right gone, as in NOT THERE! Now how could that have had happen? That's right, three days prior the other dealer replaced the pinion seals. And there is where product loyalty when up in smoke. According the Service "Advisor" the bolts are special order. GM only makes them when they need them. But there's a "kit" that contains the same two bolts costing $115. The Service Advisor found a "kit" at a dealer in a neighboring state. That was Tuesday morning. Five days later, the car is still sitting at the dealer waiting for two flipping bolts. Waiting for a "spec-tech" to be preformed before the part can be sent. I have never had so much grief with a vehicle. My 1993 Volvo 940 with 175,000 only one thing go bad, a coil pack. And that only took two hours to replace back in 1999. I will never buy a GM product again, especially when Cadillac is suppose to be the premier line of General Motors. NOT!!!:ripped:

WOW!!, LOL, Was this a dealer recertified car??

Dont forget to check for a leak around the jack, a warped light bar on the back, a CD that changes disks when the ignition is off, side view mirrors that dont return to their proper position, rear washer malfunction, fenders than dont line up etc, etc, etc,...

I had all these fixed...

SYROB

robhersch
01-20-07, 09:45 PM
My 2 cents: any used vehicle that was delivered to another state, operated 2 to 3 years as a rental, and purchased from an auto rental agency without an extended warranty from the vehicle manufacturer does not qualify as the brightest purchase decision regardless of carfax or brand. Sorry to hear that you were "taken" on a "used car" but it is not the manufacturers fault.
I suggest that maybe you do a better job in evaluating any likely purchase.

c5 rv
01-20-07, 10:19 PM
Problems with first year vehicles, like the 04 SRX, are legendary. But, I've had pretty good luck over the past 10 years with some first year cars:

97 Ford Expedition: no problems for 54K miles except a blower motor.
99 GMC Sierra 1500: no problems for 72K miles except some minor piston slap.
02 Chevy Avalanche: no problems for 57K miles except some minor piston slap.

Northern SRX
01-21-07, 09:29 AM
I've had a number of small and not-so-small issues with my '04 V8 - a subset of which might convince a buyer to never buy another Cadillac or GM product. I am not yet prepared to be so categorical for 2 major reasons: 1) the SRX is loaded with new technology and new (in 2004) adaptations of the CTS platform to provide for AWD and a host of other unique-to-SRX challenges; 2) The vehicle performs so well when it's not in the shop - which, fortunately, is most of the time for me.

What Infrared has is a frustrating situation - a problem that is disabling his new (for him) ride for a long time so early in his ownership experience. I fully sympathize and might also, in his position, be a little more categorical in reject the possibility of another GM vehicle in my future. If he gets past this and learns to appreciate the handling and performance features of his SRX, the tune might change - but that will depend on the degree to which he values those attributes and can put them above the odd frustration (of which the current situation is hopefully the most extreme example).

Good luck with this repair though.

By the way, I note his integrity concern on the first invoice. My understanding is that GM's warranty rules require the customer to notice the problem so the service advisors write the invoices that way. Still, this might not have been Infrared's situation and, in any case, it should have been explained to him.

robhersch
01-21-07, 02:31 PM
......1) the SRX is loaded with new technology and new (in 2004) adaptations of the CTS platform to provide for AWD and a host of other unique-to-SRX challenges; 2) The vehicle performs so well when it's not in the shop .......
What Infrared has is a frustrating situation - a problem that is disabling his new (for him) ride for a long time so early in his ownership experience. I fully sympathize and might also, in his position, be a little more categorical in reject the possibility of another GM vehicle in my future. If he gets past this and learns to appreciate the handling and performance features of his SRX, the tune might change ....
Good luck with this repair though.

By the way, I note his integrity concern on the first invoice. My understanding is that GM's warranty rules require the customer to notice the problem so the service advisors write the invoices that way. Still, this might not have been Infrared's situation and, in any case, it should have been explained to him.

Very well stated! Another thought on purchasing "preowned": modern hi-tech vehicles & engines - especially those multivalve OHC with VVT, etc that specify very thin (5w-30) synthetic oils probably can be "degraded" by improper service or by using incorrect lubs, ie 20-50 generic brand - and unless the vehicle history is "known to be properly serviced as specified by the manufacturer" - the new owner has HIGH RISK, maybe mitigated by an independent pre-purchase qualified service and inspection.
I recall an acquaintance that never changed oil in his leased V6 pushrod Chev - said he saved over ... $200 ... during his .... 30 mo lease ..... I don't know how such service is incorporated in a carfax report, but I would not recommend or consider buying a vehicle that was owned/ leased by such person.

Infrared in Idaho
01-24-07, 09:48 PM
Oops. What I should've said is the support from the Dealer sucks. The SRX itself is awesome. It is one hell of a technological master piece. I love it. Even though I haven't had the pleasure of water in the jack compartment. (yet) The thing that stinks is the intelligence level of the Service Department from some Dealerships. Not all are the same. I do not mean to offend any techincians out there. I'm sure there are more good techs and than bad. Cars are mechanical, no matter how many computers and sensors it has, and mechanical things do act up. I guess I just got spoiled with a car that had no problems for 14 years. With that said, I do admire the the styling, comfort, and performance of the SRX. And dealerships aren't perfect. It just pisses you off when you run into one that's not up to par with the quality of automobile they sell. Thank god, the city I live in has two Cadillac dealers and I found the best of the two. Unfortunely, it was the second dealership I went to. And by the way, the first dealership is paying for a rear drive shaft because of replacing the pinion seals incorrectly.

inline6
02-01-07, 02:31 PM
As someone who purchased a red 04 SRX new in Idaho, we have had a totally different experience. The car has had only one major problem which was the CD shuffling and trip computer resetting issue that GM took a year to figure out, but the smaller town dealer we purchased from always took car of us; in fact even when it goes in for normal maintenance we get a loaner.

When you buy a used car there is always a risk. Your SRX could have been abused from delivery, had an accident or zero maintenance. Dealer incompetence, while reflecting poorly on the car and GM, is really a separate issue. The same issues apply to any car or manufacturer; I know local Volvo owners who purchased their's new (S60 and XC90) that have problems that they cannot get fixed by the dealer. Unfortunately every manufacturer has a poor dealer somewhere and built at least one bad car.

djfcars
02-05-07, 01:05 AM
I had a 1998 Volvo V90 T-5. Worst car I ever had. I will never buy another Volvo again. My '05 SRX had an electrical issue in the beginning but now it runs flawless. By now my piece of crap Volvo would be in the shop 15 times by now. "Volvo for life" NOT!!!!!
A few issues I had with the piece of crap:

ABS computer fried
Frame on drivers side cracked
Air conditioner not cooling
Brake lights peiodically not working
Back door plastic falling off
Front hood latch not releasing hood
door lock switch inoperative
Top motor mount replaced twice

And more but I just don't want to recall that horrid past in my life.

Infrared in Idaho
01-09-08, 04:21 AM
Just reviewed all these posts to a post I made several months ago. And thanks to you guys and this forum, I love the Cadillac SRX!!!! Yes, it does have it's problems - what car on the road today doen't. As for my 93 Volvo 940, I was just lucky - simply put. Living in Idaho, I love passing Lexus and MB in the snow and ice. I just want to pull them over and ask them, "What, your pretentious little car can't handle a little snow and ice?" I am sold on Cadillac. Bu tit has diffenitely opened my eyes on what's out there.:thumbsup:

ewill3rd
01-09-08, 09:44 AM
It looks like you have really changed your mind.
It really wears me out when people have problems with one car and then blames the entire corporation.
As with most tales like this, the problem is more related to the dealer than to the manufacturer. Cars break, it doesn't matter where they are from or how much they cost, they break. My boss in California had more trouble with his Lamborghini than any Chevy we had on the lot and it cost substantially more.
It is from overseas and expensive.

Not sure why someone dug up this year old post, but as I said it seems they fixed your problems and you have decided you like your car.
I just wanted to ask that next time you vent, try to say stuff about the people doing it and not condemn all of us for the actions of a few specific folks. ;)
I know how frustrating this stuff can be when you are in the middle of it.

GMJim
01-09-08, 12:09 PM
design, engineering, manufacturing, dealers, service.....................we are responsible for their....... awe never mind...............