: don't let your buddy drive your V

crypto_coyle79
01-20-07, 10:10 AM
I'm moving last weekend and I had an intern helping me move my cars and since he had worked pretty hard ALL DAY for me I let him take the V and I drove the H2 ( I have a thing for good mph cars). No more then 2 min after getting on our way a car cuts in between use and my bud thinks he will just whip around the other car and mashes the gas in 2nd going about 40 on a patch of black ice, needless to say the back end got "a little lose" so he slams on the brakes forgetting the #1 rule of driving, Gas AND brakes hurt traction. All I see is a redline V doing 360s across 4 lanes of traffic till it comes to a crashing halt against an on coming car. He's so not getting a job and being brought in after his internship is up. Any ideas how to put this in his review.

ctsvflorida
01-20-07, 11:01 AM
So, you let him drive your 400hp car with 'the possibility' of black ice around? Obviously very cold weather and you can't tell me that you have never seen it before around there! IMO, hang yourself...not him!

I am sorry to hear about the mishap either way and hope it all gets resovled easily and quickly. As everyone will say 'at least no one got hurt'.

crypto_coyle79
01-20-07, 11:32 AM
It was the 1st cold day in weeks and hadn't rained in days. the only reason there was a patch is arlington had been running a fire hydrent in the day time when it was about 55 out. I'm only joking about messing with him, well kind of.

DILLIGAF
01-20-07, 11:45 AM
It was the 1st cold day in weeks and hadn't rained in days. the only reason there was a patch is arlington had been running a fire hydrent in the day time when it was about 55 out. I'm only joking about messing with him, well kind of.
:postpics:

BowenCT
01-20-07, 11:45 AM
:postpics:

crypto_coyle79
01-20-07, 11:52 AM
there will be no pics, car got towed to the dealer and haven't seen it since. I think I'm better off not having anything to remind me of that night anyway. they said 3weeks to repair so we shall see what it's like when she comes back.

ctsvflorida
01-20-07, 12:39 PM
there will be no pics, car got towed to the dealer and haven't seen it since. I think I'm better off not having anything to remind me of that night anyway. they said 3weeks to repair so we shall see what it's like when she comes back.

I couldn't agree more, why want pics! Why would you guys want to see his misery? It's a crashed car! Go check some slavage title wrecks online if you need to see wrecked cars so badly! :hmm:

It is incredible that many guys crash their car and then immediately take pics and post them! That's the last thing I would do. Everyone's different though, I understand that!

nxlr8
01-20-07, 01:06 PM
I let my buddy drive my V to my new house (~40 miles), but I was along side/behind him the whole way on my Gixxer... he did mess with an M5 though... he was amazed at the power of the V...

"Never underestimate the power of the V-side"...

Ok... maybe that was a little cheesy...

BadCad
01-20-07, 01:12 PM
pix of a crashed V? Morbid! :eek:

heavymetals
01-20-07, 01:32 PM
A friend will help you move.

A real friend will help you move a body......:lildevil:

HiTechRV
01-20-07, 02:29 PM
The winter traction on the F1's is so bad that when the snow hit 1/4" on the way home friday I had to get in to the center lane on the expressway to ride the crown of the road. The car would walk out the back end, at idle, in 3rd doing about 10 mph.

It's not a trivially easy car to drive in slick conditions.

Dennisscars
01-20-07, 03:26 PM
Let me get this straight.. you had a guy from work help you move your stuff on the weekend, crashes your car and now you want to shit-can him at work?

Don't :tisk: mix work and home... take it up with insurance.

:nono:

The Tony Show
01-20-07, 04:27 PM
I opened this thread with certain expectations based on the title, and well....

....it's exactly what I expected. You have my sympathy.

rpm_69
01-20-07, 10:31 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

It brings into question the CTS-V's stability control though. I recent got my CTS-V and noticed that it's stability and traction control were much more loose than my 2002 M3. I used to tell friends to try and spin the M3. They couldn't. I even drove it across ice covered roads on the highway. The little BMW DSC light was on almost the whole time, but the car felt completely controlled.

The Caddy seems helpful but hardly foolproof like the BMW. If the Caddy has a competition mode, and traction/stability control can be completely turned off, why so lax on the default mode for a 400hp rwd car?

HiTechRV
01-20-07, 10:34 PM
Was your M3 an automatic?

rpm_69
01-20-07, 10:44 PM
Was your M3 an automatic?

No such animal in the E46 series. It was an SMG. Which is highly misunderstood. The SMG is a fully manual 6-speed. The same transmission in every M3. SMG just automates the clutch and rev matches the shifts. DSC has no control over shifting.

HiTechRV
01-20-07, 10:47 PM
I asked because automatics use upshifting as a wheel torque management strategy to avoid spin.

sy1172
01-21-07, 07:41 AM
SMG = total garbage

BeagleBrains
01-21-07, 11:39 AM
I am in a circle of car-nut friends. Whenever one of us brings home a new vehicle, we get together and take turns test driving. The second day I had the V, I call Dan. He jumped into the driver's seat when I arrived at his home. The Interstate is about one mile away. He hit the on-ramp, down shifted and floored the foot-feet. Onto the highway at about 90 mph, he says: "how fast have you had her?" My response: "55mph. I always observe the new car break-in recommendations."
His response: "OOOOOPS!" He was kind of quiet on the way home. We are still very good friends. He has since driven my new Jeep Wrangler, albight, very conservatively. I drove his new Ducati motorcycle, after I asked what limits applied. Very nice ride.
My drive with friend Krooog's new Escalade elicited this caution: "Don't be cranking my new Stereo to the max. I like to break in the Subs!"
:D Friends, indeed.:)

rpm_69
01-21-07, 01:22 PM
I asked because automatics use upshifting as a wheel torque management strategy to avoid spin.
Nope. THe BMW is not an automatic, and DSC has NO control over the tranny.

SMG = total garbage
Really? I owned one for 2 yrs and loved it. It did take some getting used to, but it was fabulous at the drag track w/ it's 4K RPM launch mode (13.1 @ 107 MPH) and it was a delight on Virginia International Raceway and Roebling Road race tracks.

What was wrong with yours? Or are you just repeating some garbage you heard or read somewhere?

SOOOO.....

Is the default CTS-V stability control setting too permissive, especially considering it offers a competition mode? Anyone else able to get their Caddy way to sideways for a car w/ stability control?

CIWS
01-21-07, 03:06 PM
I couldn't agree more, why want pics! Why would you guys want to see his misery? It's a crashed car! Go check some slavage title wrecks online if you need to see wrecked cars so badly! :hmm:

It is incredible that many guys crash their car and then immediately take pics and post them! That's the last thing I would do. Everyone's different though, I understand that!

Yes it's curiousity about what kind of damage our cars take under different circumstances. Not gloating over someone elses damage / loss. If mine ends up getting whacked you can bet I'll do my best to take and post pics.

atdeneve
01-22-07, 10:56 AM
That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

It brings into question the CTS-V's stability control though. I recent got my CTS-V and noticed that it's stability and traction control were much more loose than my 2002 M3. I used to tell friends to try and spin the M3. They couldn't. I even drove it across ice covered roads on the highway. The little BMW DSC light was on almost the whole time, but the car felt completely controlled.

The Caddy seems helpful but hardly foolproof like the BMW. If the Caddy has a competition mode, and traction/stability control can be completely turned off, why so lax on the default mode for a 400hp rwd car?

Is the default CTS-V stability control setting too permissive, especially considering it offers a competition mode? Anyone else able to get their Caddy way to sideways for a car w/ stability control?

If you intentionally try to spin the V out while all the electronic nannies are on, it will severely cut power and apply the brakes to prevent you from doing so. However, that will only occur if the clutch is fully engaged. If the clutch is not fully engaged or you are feathering it, this will limit one of its two avenues of intervention - the power applied - and, likewise, it's ability to maintain control. Lacking a clutch pedal, I don't believe you would ever encounter this situation with an SMG or any other automated manual.

With that being said, no electronic nanny, BMW or otherwise, can save you from being an idiot. :D