: RPM VS Speed

srxfrank
01-19-07, 10:24 AM
I have a '05 SRX with V-6 AWD. I have noticed the RPM to seem to be high when driving at highway speeds. When I'm cruising at 70 MPH the RPM on the Tach. reads 2400 RPM. Is this normal for a 5 speed SRX ? My wife drives a Yukon with a 4-speed and it runs about 1800 RPM at 70 MPH. The car has 43k on it and I would like to get this repaired before it runs out of warranty if there is a problem. I have owned the car about 2 months and love it. The only complants I have are the door sills are to wide and this car loves to shifts gears all the time. I have read in other post that this is normal.

harryctsv
01-19-07, 11:06 AM
I have a '05 SRX with V-6 AWD. I have noticed the RPM to seem to be high when driving at highway speeds. When I'm cruising at 70 MPH the RPM on the Tach. reads 2400 RPM. Is this normal for a 5 speed SRX ? My wife drives a Yukon with a 4-speed and it runs about 1800 RPM at 70 MPH. The car has 43k on it and I would like to get this repaired before it runs out of warranty if there is a problem. I have owned the car about 2 months and love it. The only complants I have are the door sills are to wide and this car loves to shifts gears all the time. I have read in other post that this is normal.
Hi Frank,
I would say these are the right numbers for the V6 engine. Don`t forget your wifes Yukon got a V8 in it.

Harry

TSS
01-19-07, 04:54 PM
That sounds right. My v-8 SRX is at about 2000 RPM @ 70MPH.

srxfrank
01-20-07, 08:27 AM
Whats the purpose of having a 5 speed if the car is runnig 2400 RPM at 70 MPH. Seems like if you have lower RPM at highway speeds you could get better MPG. I just figured out the answer to my question-make a 5 speed it constantly changes gears during non-highway driving.

Smokin' SRX
01-22-07, 04:34 PM

Hi! I have '04 Yukon with V-8 and it does 2500 RPM, on level ground @ 70 MPH, w/cruise on. My SRX does 2300 @70MPH. Rear end gearing is an issue here too. But you're OK! Twice fast idle is not bad, for a brisk 70MPH.