: Great Cadillac Commercial

KaddyKat
01-19-07, 09:44 AM
Think this is a very good commercial. Only thing is they left out a
RWD Fleetwood/Brougham! How can they do that?
Maybe they can do different versions with different vehicles.
Anyway it's fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXjpDlJoXr0

Barrister_07101
01-19-07, 10:07 AM
I agree. I think that the 93-96 Fleetwood is more respectable then that 80s seville they are showing.

Red_October_7000
01-19-07, 02:16 PM
True, but I think they were going for the most visually distinctive cars, and the Seville, with its rear slanted trunklid, is more visually distinctive than the rather large Fleetwoods. I do love that commercial, though. Glad to see that Cadillac, even if they have abandoned the names, has not forgotten their heritage.

KaddyKat
01-19-07, 02:28 PM
True, but I think they were going for the most visually distinctive cars, and the Seville, with its rear slanted trunklid, is more visually distinctive than the rather large Fleetwoods. I do love that commercial, though. Glad to see that Cadillac, even if they have abandoned the names, has not forgotten their heritage.

I think for Cadillac and GM to stop using names was a huge marketing error.
Cars and people are emotional attachments and for the cars to become just
numbers and letters takes that away. There may be a move back though
with the new Camaro and others in the other divisions. I couldn't tell you
which Cadillac is which for 2007 by looking at the letter names except the Escalade.

Red_October_7000
01-19-07, 06:33 PM
I'm amazed at Cadillac's actions.
They seem to be 20 years behind the times in that respect. Everyone is resurrecting their old names now, and going for Retro style, and Cadillac is just now going geometric and 3-letter designation happy. The El Dorado, perhaps the most inspiring name, was the first to go (and hasn't been replaced). The Coupe DeVille died long ago, and the Seville followed suit. There is a Bizarre logic to the acronym names that I think I saw supported somewhere...
STS: Seville Touring Sedan
DTS: DeVille Touring Sedan
CTS: Catera Touring Sedan (? This was never the same car renamed, but it fits, unless they're trying to suggest the Cimarron, which also fits.)
XLR: Who knows. Back when they had names this was going to be the Evoq.

FYI: The song is "Punkrocker" by Teddybears Stockholm.

David W. Bailey
01-19-07, 08:46 PM
I don't think the old names appealed to the younger market, and that is where Cadillac's future lies.

Red_October_7000
01-19-07, 09:23 PM
The old names had soul. They had recognition. Meat Loaf sang about not finding a Coupe DeVille in the bottom of a crackerjack box, not a "DTS". And when people sing about Cadillacs today they tend to sing about the Escalade, because it has a name, not a designation. They need names. Maybe Seville was lost, but I think El Dorado needs to come back, as does DeVille just so that there can be a "Coupe DeVille".
There is no soul in "DTS" or "CTS".

JRau
01-19-07, 10:17 PM
The old names had soul. They had recognition. Meat Loaf sang about not finding a Coupe DeVille in the bottom of a crackerjack box, not a "DTS". And when people sing about Cadillacs today they tend to sing about the Escalade, because it has a name, not a designation. They need names. Maybe Seville was lost, but I think El Dorado needs to come back, as does DeVille just so that there can be a "Coupe DeVille".
There is no soul in "DTS" or "CTS".

Totally agree here on this!!!!:thumbsup:

JRau in central Iowa

David W. Bailey
01-19-07, 11:46 PM
I hear what you're saying, but the hard facts are that Cadillac must broaden their appeal to avoid the fate of Oldsmobile. The "crushed velvet" crowd are aging (I'm probably one of them) and unless we want to see every kid under 35 driving some gutless Asian box, Cadillac has to be more appealing to a younger demographic. Kids are so brainwashed that all they think is "foreign car" and there is a double standard in the automotive press regarding car names. Foreign cars can have goofy names, but US cars cannot. If GM had a car called a Prius or worse yet, a Matrix, the car magazines would still be making jokes. What the hell would have happened if Ford had named a car the "Touareg"? I can hear Car and Driver having a field day with that!

GM and Cadillac must survive and the last thing we need right now is a car with a name like "De Caballero", "Talisman", or D'Marchand . That will send the young folk running to the nearest Toyota store! Until the "CTS" came along, there had not been a Cadillac on Consumer Reports' recommended list for years!

I love the old names too, but I want Caddy to thrive, more than I want to keep old names and an old stuffy image. Remember, even the "This is not your father's Oldsmobile" campaign could save that marque.

Red_October_7000
01-20-07, 01:26 AM
They need something.
True, the special marks had little going for them... only people like us know about the "De Caballero", "Opera Coupe" and so forth, but C'mon, EVERYBODY knows what an El Dorado is!

I agree that there is a double standard for foreign cars, especially furthered by Consumer Reports (who actively downrate American cars and actually seem to use different standards of testing for domestic cars.) Don't even mention Honda. I will not have anything to do with Honda. I'd drive a Gremlin before I drove an NSX. Too many auto mags, C&D included in this, seem to uprate anything Honda. I firmly believe that Honda is basically greasing palms somewhere along the lines and this is somethign I cannot abide.

arivera
01-20-07, 01:02 PM
I think it's true what everyone's saying about changing names to survive the game. But I think style has a lot to do with how well the brand does. We talk about these gutles foreign cars, but cadillac is beginning to produce these cookie cutter vehicles. The brand is losing it's uniqueness and grand style. what ever happened to the different trim levels? everything has become very beige in the industry.

Gwokable
01-20-07, 06:53 PM
The market has definatly changed from 30 years ago.

It's focusing more on faster, inexpensive, manuverable, sporty cars that are disposable. SUV's have even taken a lighter sportier turn in recent years. The sedan as we know it is slowly becoming a race car and people are forgetting what a cadillac is supposed to feel like. That's why I like my brougham; I can sit back and relax while I drive, even if I'm going 80mph.

Quality needs to be maintained, and that's the only downside to it. People don't seem to understand a properly maintained cadillac will last 50 years or longer. Life shouldn't be so rushed and sometimes, listening to some music while driving on a cloud is a good thing.

That's what cadillac needs to relay to their customer base and that's what they need to build. A comfertable car.

Adam
01-20-07, 07:04 PM
I'm amazed at Cadillac's actions.
They seem to be 20 years behind the times in that respect. Everyone is resurrecting their old names now, and going for Retro style, and Cadillac is just now going geometric and 3-letter designation happy. The El Dorado, perhaps the most inspiring name, was the first to go (and hasn't been replaced). The Coupe DeVille died long ago, and the Seville followed suit. There is a Bizarre logic to the acronym names that I think I saw supported somewhere...
STS: Seville Touring Sedan
DTS: DeVille Touring Sedan
CTS: Catera Touring Sedan (? This was never the same car renamed, but it fits, unless they're trying to suggest the Cimarron, which also fits.)
XLR: Who knows. Back when they had names this was going to be the Evoq.

FYI: The song is "Punkrocker" by Teddybears Stockholm.

that is what everyone says. its actually:

S series Touring Sedan
D series Touring Sedan
C series Touring Sedan
and i forget the XLR, iirc it was something with an X Luxury Roadster.

Benzilla
01-20-07, 09:50 PM
I'm in the younger demographic, and I hate the three letter names. Not much else to say. I fell in love with Cadillac when you could still go to a dealer, and buy a brand new Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. When you hear that, you know nobodies talking about a honda. I'd see massive Coupe Devilles in parking lots, and be drawn to them because they didn't look like anything else. I never gave a shit about tight handling, I never in my life got what people see in cramped up tiny hard riding cars. I was heartbroke when they stopped making the Fleetwood. The day I heard that, I knew it was the end of an era never to be seen again. I want to live in a world where guys buy a Cadillac just to have the longest damn car on the block with the most arrogant name. That's what Cadillac means to me.

Adam
01-21-07, 01:54 AM
i dont see what the big deal is and why a lot of you are complaining about it. heres my angles:

first angle-the new names match the cars, a name on a CTS would not be right.

second angle- a lot of you say that the new Cadillac's arent "true" Cadillacs. so according to your logic, why should it have a name? as i agree with everything you guys think, save for the "true" part, i dont think they should have the name that graced such beautiful cars as the Fleetwood, the Deville, the Seville, etc. etc. its not the way Cadillac is anymore. Cadillac has always been about change and being leading edge. big boats arent leading edge anymore. so Cadillac has to change with the times to stay leading edge and what customers and critics agree is "leading edge." i would love to see the return of the Fleetwood as an ultra luxury sedan. it wont happen, but i would love to see it.

eldorado99
01-21-07, 02:12 AM
I'm in the younger demographic, and I hate the three letter names. Not much else to say. I fell in love with Cadillac when you could still go to a dealer, and buy a brand new Fleetwood Brougham d'Elagence. When you hear that, you know nobodies talking about a honda. I'd see massive Coupe Devilles in parking lots, and be drawn to them because they didn't look like anything else. I never gave a shit about tight handling, I never in my life got what people see in cramped up tiny hard riding cars. I was heartbroke when they stopped making the Fleetwood. The day I heard that, I knew it was the end of an era never to be seen again. I want to live in a world where guys buy a Cadillac just to have the longest damn car on the block with the most arrogant name. That's what Cadillac means to me.
I don't know what to say other than "ditto". :highfive:

Red_October_7000
01-21-07, 04:32 AM
I agree almost 100%, except that I appreciate a fine-handling, hard-riding car as much as I appreciate a luxurious motorized mattress with all the finery. I have both -a 1984 Corvette and a 1988 MR2, and my big Buick LeSabre, rides almost as nice as a Caddy. Just wish is were rear-drive. I love both kinds for differnt reasons, but I can tell you which kind I associate wiht Cadillac!

David W. Bailey
01-21-07, 08:55 AM
It's great that you young guys are so attached to the Cadillac tradition, but I'm afraid that there are not enough of you! Most of the young people I know laugh at the old Cadillacs. Don't get me wrong, I love the old cars (look at my list on the "Caddys you have owned" thread) and I really do appreciate your sense of loyalty.

Cadillac is fighting it out in a tough segment of the market right now. They must stay the present course or vanish. Better that we have a dot-Comillac, then no Cadillac at all! Besides, if you have not driven a CTS-V, try it, you'll like it.