: PCM Tuning Progam for NorthStar V8's?

N0DIH
01-18-07, 09:31 PM
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9364&highlight=northstar

Show your interest!!! Only serious interest please, be honest if you would buy it if they had it.

stbtt
01-19-07, 03:31 PM
i started that post its to bad that only a few of us posted on it :banghead:
i know i would get it for my car and a few of my customers that want it i need this for 2 2003 97 and 00 modles

N0DIH
01-19-07, 03:37 PM
I have a friend with a 96 that needs it.

I just stumbled across it when I put in Northstar just for giggles and low and behold there is interest.

Is the 95 and older REALLY a plug in PROM? Or is that just a guess??

Anyone got a N* PCM that can take some detailed pictures of each IC for me? Maybe we can find out something on that it might take to make it work.

Worse come to worse, we unsolder the flash part, put it in a real programmer and do it the old fashioned way. I just wish they wouldn't have adopted this goofy OBD2 protocols.

CadillacSTS42005
02-28-07, 11:35 PM
ITS ALIVE
ive given those bastards there something to think about....

N0DIH
03-03-07, 02:18 PM
Anyone got a spare PCM to work on?

It might be faster to pull the flash memories and then read them to get a actual code.

You need to determine which IC's they are, what processors they are and then decipher the communication they are to use.

But like they said, screwing up can "blow" a PCM. But, rarely is the PCM "bad', it is just a corrupt flash. So you simply toss back in your programmer and flash it back and solder it back down. The PCM is back in business.

The fun is then breaking down the OS and figuring out which table is what, which switch setting is what and what constant is what.

I work on hardware, I am not a software junkie. So the first part is pretty easy. Second isn't my forte....

CadillacSTS42005
03-03-07, 02:31 PM
i can prob get one
but i know ebay sells them all day for like 20 bucks

N0DIH
03-03-07, 07:55 PM
That cheap?? Wow, I wouldn't suspect that cheap. Hmmm.....

N0DIH
03-10-07, 09:42 PM
Owch. HP Tuners is ticked at Cadillac owners!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9364&page=3

Not quite sure what sent them over the edge, but I guess that is how they handle it.... Oh well.

My guess it would take $2-$5K to do the work to break the code and get a solid definition file. Salary, PCM's, technican work to pull parts and fix things, and software guys to do the work.

How long to break even and then how long to be profitable?

90Brougham350
03-11-07, 10:46 PM
A long time. The number of people that own N*-powered vehicles and have shown significant interest in a tune sure wouldn't be enough to motivate me as HP Tuners to get to work on it.

N0DIH
03-12-07, 12:07 AM
Well, EFILive has done some work on the 4T80E in the 06-07 Devilles. Maybe they are next on the list!

Everyone who is seriously interested, email TC@tunercat.com, he is the software engineer and designer of TunerCat OBD1 and 2, which 2 is now Jet Spectrum Tuner, but he still is the software guy to convince....

stbtt
03-12-07, 10:24 AM
i have emailed him a couple of times over the past 2 years about this but it cant hurt to try again have you emailed him yet if so what did he say last time i talk to him he told me that he dont have anything that can read them the software is not bad i have all the obd1 and obd2 programs he offers and it is a lot cheaper than others i use and it does the same thing

stbtt
03-12-07, 11:07 AM
i have emailed westers and they told me that they will have something for the n* sometime april they also have software for the new n* now
http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/
the progam looks alot like tunercat

N0DIH
03-12-07, 07:08 PM
Darn pricey too!!!

CadillacSTS42005
03-14-07, 03:44 PM
rofl
i already talked to westers decades ago
they needed a car to test on thats the hold up but since no one was local no one wanted to go for it...

N0DIH
03-15-07, 01:03 AM
I have been talking with them and I understand why everyone won't mess with it. It would really take a pretty good overhaul of the existing program to make it work right. They do it now, but have to apply some manual processes to the .bin before they can write it back into the PCM.

Looks like Tunercat OBD2 (now called Jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuner) IS working on it, if anyone would mess with it, they would.

From what I gather, keep watching, support might be closer than you think. Westers CAN do it now, but the PCM must be shipped to them for it (I agree on the reason)

Call Westers now and see what they have.

N0DIH
03-15-07, 01:09 AM
I have been talking with them and I understand why everyone won't mess with it. It would really take a pretty good overhaul of the existing program to make it work right. They do it now, but have to apply some manual processes to the .bin before they can write it back into the PCM.

Looks like Tunercat OBD2 (now called Jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuner) IS working on it, if anyone would mess with it, they would.

From what I gather, keep watching, support might be closer than you think. Westers CAN do it now, but the PCM must be shipped to them for it (I agree on the reason)

Call Westers now and see what they have.

CadillacSTS42005
03-15-07, 10:00 AM
westers doesnt have any tuning for the obd2 fwd northstars....

N0DIH
03-15-07, 11:33 AM
They do, but not that you can do yourself. Again, there is a GOOD reason for it, it is how the PCM is setup and how the flash is setup and saved. There is no interface out there for it, so much must be done manually in a text editor editing direct addresses in the memory blocks.

Send an email to mailto:nwester@eidnet.org and ask questions about what they can/can't do.

stbtt
03-15-07, 11:38 AM
We should have a major amount for Cadillac done by April end...We've got to
satisfy our V6 clients first...

this is what westers told me last week so i quess they are working on it and might get it done atleast there will be something that can be done they also said you can with a lp yourself
it would be nice if tunercat will do it they have a messge board that a few people use start another thread let them know

http://www.monodax.com/forums/

N0DIH
03-15-07, 04:11 PM
Yup, they are finishing up 03-up 3800's IIRC.

I believe that TunerCat OBD2/aka Jet Spectrum Tuner might get this to, but you would need to talk to John @ tc@tunercat.com about that, but N* is planned.

CadillacSTS42005
03-16-07, 11:07 AM
yuh
its been planned since the N* was inducted to gms line up
here we are over a decade later...
and STILL nothing...

eldorado1
03-16-07, 09:50 PM
Owch. HP Tuners is ticked at Cadillac owners!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9364&page=3

Not quite sure what sent them over the edge, but I guess that is how they handle it.... Oh well.

My guess it would take $2-$5K to do the work to break the code and get a solid definition file. Salary, PCM's, technican work to pull parts and fix things, and software guys to do the work.

How long to break even and then how long to be profitable?

You're kidding, right?

First, HP Tuners isn't ticked at Cadillac Owners, they're ticked at CadillacETC1997. He's impatient and has a tendency to rub people the wrong way.

That said, they shouldn't deny us this for something he said.

As for costs, you're talking a couple years salary for a couple of programmers specialized in reverse engineering. Lets just round it off to $100k. How many of their tuning packages will they have to sell to recoup that? How much more can they make by hacking some diesel truck computer instead? ;)

N0DIH
03-16-07, 10:54 PM
Exactly, it is simply $$.

eldorado1
03-16-07, 11:24 PM
Somebody should hack a modern GM computer and turn it into an open source PCM project.

N0DIH
03-17-07, 12:35 AM
I thought about putting tunes up on SourceForge, but I figured being the OS is in that, GM would sue the crap out of me.

CadillacSTS42005
03-23-07, 02:56 PM
rofl
those guys were fu**in idiots...
all i kept doing was asking for updates they got all pissy and i told them they couldnt do it and thats why they wouldnt
so they cried like a bunch of babys thus proving my point they couldnt do it, easier to blame a consumer than admit their failure, they werent gonna hack it, in 2 months they never responded with any information...

AJxtcman
04-18-07, 09:06 PM
I am close to having tuning 96 - 03 Northstar PCMs tunable. I have some great 96 To 99 programs. I have some great programs for 00 to 03. )4 and 05 have a different PCM and I have not researched them. I have a great 00 vin 9 program that is set up for no converters, open speed limiter and all OBD II test marked as passed. I have some great 03 programs they are very nice, but I am not finished. I also need to set up a northstar with a manual trans. In the next two weeks I hope to get a lot done. as you all know it may be two months. I currently have a Northstar that runs a 99 PCM vin Y and it runs 0 to 60 in 4.2, 0 to 100 in 9.6 sec and the quarter in 13.4.

AJxtcman
04-18-07, 09:22 PM
This is not a joke I am a Cadillac tech with a lot of friends at GM :eek: I have found a way. I am waiting for some more parts for my PC. :stirpot:
How much money do you all have. :worship:
The programs I have that are complete, but Locked. I am looking at a way to open them up to you. I can do some custom calibrations as of today. VIN 9s are very easy.

AJxtcman
04-22-07, 08:18 PM
What is it that you need to have re-calibrated?
I can do a lot currently.
I would need to know your emissions testing requirements. I can remove the speed-limiters and alter several other items.
I can set it to run without post O2's. Leaded fuels. The list goes on.
VIN 9s are the easiest, But I have completed several VIN Y Performance upgrades on 2000 to 2003. I have done several 97 to 99 cars.
The parts I ordered for my PC will not work. It is the second one I purchased for my PC that is not compatible.
I will fix my laptop and just use it.

stbtt
04-23-07, 01:10 PM
If you don't mind me asking how are you doing this and do you plan on doing the tunes for people your self or making a program that we can buy to tune?

AJxtcman
04-23-07, 01:23 PM
That is the hold up. I can reprogram or recalibrate PCM's to most specs. I can not finish a Package to sell yet. SOON. I will need to unlock more options. As you can see I am into them. I have completed some programming that removed all OBD II functions. This would mean it was no longer OBD II be the definition of OBD II. I have actualy by passed all OBD II test. The good thing on what I did was I set the OBD II readiness codes to Pass. If you when to an emissions test you would PASS the test. Some other systems just turn off the DTC's.

stbtt
04-23-07, 01:36 PM
have you made programs for other cars?

AJxtcman
04-23-07, 02:52 PM
No, but I have a accomplis that does 3.8L SC

stbtt
04-23-07, 03:30 PM
i have been tuning GM cars for 4 years if you need any help with beta testing or dyno tuning or anything i could try to help in any way to get this to work

dyno tuning wont cost anything i will suply the dyno

mrnuke7571
05-28-07, 10:02 PM
AJXTCMAN, so you can successfully tune a '98 seville SLS with the Northstar in it? Please email me at : mrnuke7571@yahoo.com and let me know what you can do, etc..

Thanks chief.

stockup
07-04-07, 08:04 AM
I have one. If you want it, call me.

618-732-6215

I bought it off of ebay to check out a problem on my 94 seville which this one is for. I also have a wrecked 95 Eldo, but I need to keep the puter with it so I can sell the drivetrain. It only has 91k miles on it and is in great shape. I also have all the suspension parts and the Bose stereo that I can't figure out how to put in my seville which has the stock GM system in it. Seems like the amps or the gadget next to the antenae are different.

Dan

Anyone got a spare PCM to work on?

It might be faster to pull the flash memories and then read them to get a actual code.

You need to determine which IC's they are, what processors they are and then decipher the communication they are to use.

But like they said, screwing up can "blow" a PCM. But, rarely is the PCM "bad', it is just a corrupt flash. So you simply toss back in your programmer and flash it back and solder it back down. The PCM is back in business.

The fun is then breaking down the OS and figuring out which table is what, which switch setting is what and what constant is what.

I work on hardware, I am not a software junkie. So the first part is pretty easy. Second isn't my forte....

stockup
07-04-07, 02:18 PM
I have one I am not using. I bought it off flea-bay to test a problem with a code I am having with my transmission. I think my torque converter lockup solenoid is not working, but the dealer told me it was not a big thing and not to worry about it except for a small amount of gas milage I will lose by it not locking up. It is a cheap part, but you have to take the tanny out to replace it. I wish they would have put an inspection panel or access panel on the drive chain cover and then I could have replaced the solenoid easily.

I bought a 95 Eldo that has 91k miles on it that was hit hard on the passenger side, but I drove it home and everything works. I have sold some parts like the bumpers and the ABS pump, but everything else is still there and in excelent shape mechanical wise. Obviously, the passenger side is shot and along with that a lot of the interior. It is shale in color and the fenders, hood, trunk and just a bunch of stuff are in great shape.

I am new to this place and am having a hard time navigating and figuring things out like not being able to send PMs yet and where everything is. I am a computer tech, although software is not my strength, but this site is hard for me to figure out. Hopefully with a little time, I will figure it out. I even use a site that uses this software and should be able to easily utilize it, but I can't. My messages disappear, they don't go to the top like I am used to. I don't know if my messages are being seen as I have never gotten a reply to questions and offers of a PCM. Maybe I am posting wrong or in the wrong places. Hopefully someone will straighten me out so I am not doing anything wrong.

Dan Lemke
618-732-6215

Maybe someone could call me and give me a quick lesson on the way to use this site.

N0DIH
07-04-07, 04:35 PM
You are posting fine, I'll give you a call later on, I am in the midst of a compressor clutch plate removal that is not going too well....

You have to have like 50 messages to get PM's. Lord Cadillac or Urbanski might be able to help, but don't post bogus messages like one liners to get the post count up, they get pretty fussy about that. Maybe they can override the PM min count for you.

This site is a bit more restrictive than most when it comes to things like base
(not paid subscriber) PM messages, Avatars and some other things. But don't let it discourage you, it is by far the best Cadillac site on the net, and overall one of the best forums there. It is worth the subscription in my book, when I get a few duckies freed up I will sub again....

befarrer
07-09-07, 01:51 PM
Shot in the dark here, but does anybody have tuning information on a 03 Northstar? This one is running a BigStuff 3 ECU, but so far we have had to figure out all the values for timing, crank position refrence, etc... It would be nice to have a baseline timing curve, and all the values for the crank trigger angle and such.