: I'm surprised at how easy it is to drive a V in the snow

mdc
01-18-07, 05:02 PM
We finally got our first snowfall this week in Toronto and because it was unexpected, I had left my "winter car" (an old '94 Jeep Cheerokee) at work. When I woke up in the morning, I thought it would probably be a good idea to just stay home rather than risk driving the V through the snow.

I do have a good set of snow tires mounted (Blizzacks) and the first 10 minutes were interesting ... but once you get used to it, I find that I am having absolutely no issues with snow or ice ...

I used to drive an AWD WRX before the V and to be honest, while the AWD was nice, I can't say I really miss it ... the traction control and stability control rarely kick in, but when the do, they do their jobs well ...

rand49er
01-18-07, 05:13 PM
Agreed. No issues here, either.

I've got Avon Tech 550 A/S, and they work great! Bet your Blizzacks are even better.

BUT, since I got a beater, I don't have to take 'er out in precipitation any more. :)

ctsvflorida
01-18-07, 05:30 PM
He couldn't believe how easy it is either!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/26693d1168897777-ice-hits-texas-cts-v-hits-img_0642.jpg

MescalVto
01-18-07, 05:35 PM
Blizzaks rule . . . are they runflats? are they available in stock size now??
. . . not that I really want my V out of the garage much til spring rains wash the salt of the roads anyway, but driving the minivan does get tired fast . . .

vmoving
01-18-07, 06:06 PM
Damn Florida,,, that hurts my eyes!:cool2:

1Sonterra
01-18-07, 07:46 PM
Damn Florida,,, that hurts my eyes!:cool2:

Yeah.....tell ME about it!! :tisk:

1Sonterra

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/95978-ice-hits-texas-cts-v-hits.html

mdc
01-18-07, 09:33 PM
Blizzaks rule . . . are they runflats? are they available in stock size now??
. . . not that I really want my V out of the garage much til spring rains wash the salt of the roads anyway, but driving the minivan does get tired fast . . .

The Blizzacks aren't runflats, but I do have them mounted to the stock wheels using the same size as my Goodyears. I have a separate set of wheels for the summer

rand49er
01-18-07, 09:44 PM
. . . driving the minivan does get tired fast . . .My "beater" is a Ford Focus ... great fuel economy and 5-spd! Trouble is, the clutch feel is much different than the V and I feel clumsy going from one to the other. :annoyed:

Jon
01-18-07, 09:51 PM
Are you talking about Wednesday?

I have Blizzaks on the V too, but I never drive it in the winter anymore lol.

mdc
01-18-07, 09:58 PM
All the days just blend together ... heh

I think it was Tuesday when the morning was really bad ... might have even been Monday ... I am so shortstaffed at work right now that I am basically working 7 days a week and every day feels like a Monday ... heh

One guy just got foot surgery ... one guy is home sick ... another scheduled a 2 week vacation that was non-refundable. The problem is that two of those people are managers and none of the others at the restaurant are capable of making any decisions so I have to be here all the time :bighead:

Oh well ... maybe I'll use their salaries for mods ... heh

Jon
01-18-07, 10:14 PM
You should hire me ;) Then we'd have 2 V's in the parking lot! lol j/k.

Monday was the really bad day, you're right. I dunno why I said Wednesday.

Jschmank
01-18-07, 10:28 PM
Running Dunlops run flats and they seem fine. Had the first ice/snow storm in Kansas that I had to drive in. It does get along fine, going around corners is the one place you need to watch the gas. No problems stopping and getting going though. I have always had rear wheel drive for snow, and if you know what you are doing and aren't on summer tires you can get around fine.

Woody_MI
01-18-07, 11:08 PM
I also have the Blizzak's. Stock size, non-runflats. Had gotten them from a recommendation on my Saab 9-3 Aero which came with P-Zero summer tires, turned the car into a tank in the snow. Since it worked so well on it, I got them for the V. Like others have said, no problems, 30psi cold.

Albertan
01-18-07, 11:31 PM
MDC
Ah, the restaurant industry. An industry I'm glad I'm not in. Three kids were in it and they have lots of stories about incompetent managers, working double shifts, working 7 days a week, Fickle public, I would think snow would be the least of your problems!!
Bruce

kueh
01-19-07, 12:18 AM
My Blizzak ARE run flats. I got the EMT version. They Discount Tire ordered it for me. It was a little more like $10 or $15. They're great. And I don't have to worry about flats.

f2000keith
01-19-07, 01:14 AM
After considering a set of good snow tires and a spare set of wheels are about half the cost of a decent winter vehicle, I considered it well worth the extra vehicle. These Chicago winters can be pretty rough! As a result of that, I can also now enjoy lifting my Jeep a few inches with a set of mudders on it and go off-roading with it during the summer months too!

Seattle CTS-V
01-19-07, 01:37 AM
I have the GSD3 summer tires on the car and I thought I'd drive the car to work the other day since the radio said the highways were all open. Only the first 50 feet on my very slightly inclined driveway was still covered with snow and I absolutely could not get Baby-V to go more than 2 feet up the incline...and I grew up driving my dad's '95 Mustang GT in Michigan! Needless to say, the Mustang had snow tires but damn I was so disappointed. I jumped into my 4wd F250 and drove the 50 feet up the driveway to find that, indeed, the rest of the drive was snow and ice-free.

sy1172
01-19-07, 07:59 AM
I have to disagree. I think the V is rather terrible in the snow and I too have good snows on. Now, coming from an Audi S4, A4 and 9-5 Aero, I suspect I was rather spoiled in that regard in the past.

f2000keith
01-19-07, 09:38 AM
...and I grew up driving my dad's '95 Mustang GT in Michigan!

You too huh? I grew up with Mustangs as well. If you can learn to drive a Mustang in the snow, you can drive just about anything!

StealthViggen
01-19-07, 11:38 AM
I am in Toronto aswell, and I completely backup MDC's statement. I have Pirelli 240 snowsports(non run flat) and the combination with traction and stability control is great. Found it's better to start in 2nd, and you have to keep your foot out of the throttle, but no issues you would traditionally associate with a high HP RWD car. In fact on Tues night I purposefully went out to my parents neighborhood because it hadn't be plowed yet. I spent about 1/2 hour trying differnet techniques, getting used to the ABS tresholds etc. I even specifically tried to get trouble( late braking, throttle oversteer, etc). Every time the Stability came in and righted the car. In summary, you either have to be an idiot ( IE disabled TCS and stability in poor weather) or simply trying to get into an accident to get into too much trouble with the V in the snow.

HiTechRV
01-20-07, 11:29 PM
I'd be fine with real all seasons. Actual snow & ice tires would be heaven.

wkontes
01-21-07, 04:48 PM
I am glad to hear that you are using your vs in the snow because that is what I plan to do and I was interested to hear people's experiences. I have blizzaks on my current winter car now, 99 vw golf, but I am would want to be able to drive the v in the snow. I have found the blizzaks to be phenomenal and I am getting very good wear out of them

TNT V
01-22-07, 03:46 AM
I have Dunlop M3's and they are great. I chose them because Tire Rack rated them higher than Blizzacks.

v-ape
01-22-07, 11:19 AM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here...

I just had the V out in snow/ice (well nothing is good on ice). It was hard to climb up hills. It seems with this high hp of a car there is a fine line between grip and spinning. A lot finer than on any of my other cars. Once its going I had TC/SC kick in many a time (I only made it 1/4 mi before abandoning my car on the side of the road. I live at the bottom of a hill and wasnt going to try the "down direction" after having a lot of fun trying to get up the hill.

It was DC's first snow fall and it was a bit icey, but I wouldnt call it easy to drive in the snow. Its the worst car I've ever had in the snow. Also the most powerful RWD I've had in the snow too...

mdc
01-22-07, 12:54 PM
are you using snow tires?

We had some really icy conditions and it was never a problem ... you just have to watch the right foot and not get carried away ...

Like I said, the first 10 minutes were interesting ... now it is like second nature. No problems at all

RunningOnEMT
01-22-07, 03:06 PM
I drove around NoVA and DC yesterday on the runflats and didn't have too muh of a problem

just have to be careful and let esc and tc do their jobs

AmesCTS-V
01-22-07, 03:32 PM
I bought a water bag deal for weight in the back and put the Dunlop M3's all around. I had no problems with the go/stop last winter. Stopping was actually pretty good. The problems are all about the lack of ground clearance. Driveways with some snow piled up was really bad.

I just bought a ZR2 truck to drive in the winter.

doc-V
01-22-07, 03:37 PM
here in detroit
i am on dunlop wintersport m3 runflats
have no problem with these tires and have not even had to put the extra weight in the trunk
if you are dealing with snow tho you should go with "snowflake rated" tires

SilverBullet
01-22-07, 04:27 PM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here...

I just had the V out in snow/ice (well nothing is good on ice). It was hard to climb up hills. It seems with this high hp of a car there is a fine line between grip and spinning. A lot finer than on any of my other cars. Once its going I had TC/SC kick in many a time (I only made it 1/4 mi before abandoning my car on the side of the road. I live at the bottom of a hill and wasnt going to try the "down direction" after having a lot of fun trying to get up the hill.

It was DC's first snow fall and it was a bit icey, but I wouldnt call it easy to drive in the snow. Its the worst car I've ever had in the snow. Also the most powerful RWD I've had in the snow too...

Hey v-ape, that wasn't you I saw in a V struggling up Braddock road was it? I got trapped at an event in PG county yesterday (didn't hear the forecast---doh!) and was trying to get home at about 5. The V was a complete nightmare!!! Given PS2's are probably the WORST thing to have on ice/snow but I finally gave up and checked into a hotel in Tysons! At one point I was stuck with a guy in an M3 on a hill on Braddock before the cops turned us around. That's when I saw a guy in a Stealth Grey V fighting up the same hill. I tried to give him a sympathetic thumbs up but I think he was as pissed as I was and didn't see me. Oh well...next time I need to check the forecast and bust out the 'winter beater'.

Kadonny
01-22-07, 05:20 PM
I am glad to hear that you are using your vs in the snow because that is what I plan to do and I was interested to hear people's experiences. I have blizzaks on my current winter car now, 99 vw golf, but I am would want to be able to drive the v in the snow. I have found the blizzaks to be phenomenal and I am getting very good wear out of them

wkontes, I'll tell you that you'll best be served to not take the V out in any snow in our area. Some of these guys have pretty flat areas to drive in, not like our hills here in PA. The V will be ok in an inch or so, but beyond that forget it. Trust me, I tried it once with a Mustang GT years ago and have never tried it again. I thought I would never get home.

Even that crap we had on Friday would have spelled trouble for the V.

wkontes
01-22-07, 08:02 PM
kadonny, I guess I was overyl encouraged based on the post from toronto. I will most likely keep my winter car, I was hoping not to have to give into the audi s4/s6 crowd when it comes to driving in the winter

Rich H
01-22-07, 10:01 PM
If you remember that the V is RWD car with low ground clearance, and not try to tackle deep snow, you'll do allright as long as your tires are at least all-season. I'm using the RSA EMTs and they are as good as any all-season I've owned. Of course I've been driving RWD cars in snow my entire life so I'm used to it. When it comes to ice, it doesn't make much difference what the tires are unless they are studded.

Kadonny
01-23-07, 10:40 AM
The car will do fine in flatter to small slope inclines with some weight in the trunk and a set of all season tires, the problem comes in when you have to start/stop on a hill. Getting the car to bite in those situations are just impossible. I have seen way too many RWD vehicles stuck in our area going up hills in even a little bit of snow. Just last year I saw a brand new 3 series car totally spinning going nowhere when he had to start on a hill. I'll assume it had all weather tires on it and still he was in crap trouble. I had my A6 back then and I pulled right around him and proceeded on.

Moral of the story? V + snow + Pennsylvania = trouble

stivzuno
01-24-07, 01:44 PM
He couldn't believe how easy it is either!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/26693d1168897777-ice-hits-texas-cts-v-hits-img_0642.jpgmy heart goes out to this guy,i hope you did not get hurt?? i live in Michigan and had to take it out twice before i put it away for winter and with only a light coat of snow i though it was the worst car i ever drove in the snow!! i have the Good Years on it i'm sure the tire has lot to do with it !! but with light peddle and down shifting the rear of the car wanted to go every where but straight!! but need not worry about that any more! just my 2 cents worth!! i glad that some of you have a easy time with it though, i'm sure youre not rolling on the rs-a's!!

mdc
01-24-07, 06:32 PM
of course ... if you use summer tires, there will be absolutely no traction ...

The same reason you don't use snow tires in the summer ... ;)

HiTechRV
01-24-07, 08:41 PM
The F1's on mine claim to be the new "All Weather" F1's LOL. They drive ok in snow right up until the treads fill up (at maybe 1/4" of snow). From that point it's like drifting on steel drums. Gotta be in a gear so high you are worried you'll stall, and ride the crown of the road if possible.