: STS 06 Traction Control

jpanagia
01-18-07, 02:22 PM
I have 2006 STS RWD w/1SC package (6 Cyl). A couple of weeks ago I lost control of the car in wet weather. The traction control seemed to do nothing. Previous cars BMW 528, Lexus es300 and Acura TL spoiled me with their TC.

I brought the car in for service and they said they had to update the TC program. Fine. Now when I accelerate in wet conditions the rear tires kind of thump as they prevent spin. It kind of feels like anti-lock brakes more than TC.

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Thanks,
John P

jgrade
01-18-07, 02:32 PM
Similar only for the loosing control part. I have lost control several times, once doing 2 360's and back with a 180! I don't corner fast (except that one time) but the OEM rubber on this car sucks. Do yourself a favor and replace them. TC is only part of the equation; without decent rubber your still SOL. While I enjoy the benefits or RWD, I won't make that mistake again.

The Tony Show
01-18-07, 06:03 PM
TC is only for standing starts- what you're describing would be where the Stabilitrak would come into play. Did the DIC ever display "Stability system active"?

Also, the thumping in the rear is wheel hop. Hard start + wet tires + IRS = wheel hop.

jpanagia
01-18-07, 09:34 PM
I've never noticed "Stability system active" message. I have noticed the "Traction Control Active" message. Yes the thumping was occurring when accelerating hard from a standing position on wet pavement.

I will look into what Stabilitrak does.

Thanks for your comments.
John

bigdog9586
01-19-07, 05:50 AM
mine comes on as I goose the gas pedal going around a snowy corner.
==================

I've never noticed "Stability system active" message. I have noticed the "Traction Control Active" message. Yes the thumping was occurring when accelerating hard from a standing position on wet pavement.

I will look into what Stabilitrak does.

Thanks for your comments.
John

ewill3rd
01-19-07, 05:58 AM
The traction control uses the ABS system to apply the brakes to a slipping wheel, the reason it sounds like ABS is that it is the ABS system performing a different function.

Stabilitrak is more effective under certain conditions. The responsibility of driving safely is on the driver, not on the car to take care of whatever you do. No car can outengineer stupidity.
I don't mean to imply that you are stupid or driving in an unsafe fashion, just that the systems are designed for normal driving conditions. When driving in inclement weather you still have to use your head, don't rely on some fancy gadget to save your behind.
Its just like every winter where people in their 4WD SUVs go toodling around like it is the middle of summer and can't figure out why there car won't stop when they slam on the brakes in the snow, and then come to me complaining.

I am not trying to pick on you, just trying to make a point.
I am confident that your car is working the way it is supposed to.

BobBass
01-19-07, 10:25 AM
IMO, you can't really compare how the ES300 and TL behave in slippery conditions to the STS because they are FWD. My '02 STS handled just great in the snow because it was FWD.

The 528 would be a fairer comparison. And, jgrade's comment on tires is very appropro. Is there really a significant difference between the STS and 528 under similar slippery conditions? What kind of tires were on the latter?

Enquiring minds need to know.

jpanagia
01-19-07, 01:37 PM
I had the 528 a while ago (it was a 2000). The thing I remember is the tires never spun. So I would say what it was doing was transparent to the driver. I drove the BMW much harder than the STS, so I would expect the opposite. I think the tires were Continental all season radials, but I'm not sure.

Maybe the stablitrac is not work properly. I will have the dealer check it.

Thanks

uiwchris
02-08-07, 11:07 AM
These cars are not made for winter weather. I just put a new set of winter Michelins on the car and it has helped with the traction control from the summer high performance onces previously on the car. However, I am always getting "stability System Active" & "Traction control active" and the noises coming from those 2 system activating is offensive! Alas, with a RWD and V8, it just comes with the territory. I stay away from wet roads, icey roads, and snowpacked roads when in the car.