: You all see the Top Gear review for the CTS-V?

sy1172
01-17-07, 06:39 AM
Not a bad review but I've got to say they tend to beat on US made cars. He even says at the end that it just feels cheap but he can't put a finger on it. Huh, granted the interior's not Audi perfect but come on, cheap? :cookoo: Funny thing about reviews on our beloved cars, it's either all that and a bargain compared to an M5 or E55 or like this tool, cheap.

Just thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ2CPWyXr74&mode=related&search=

CIWS
01-17-07, 06:52 AM
Certainly cannot speak for everybody, but if it's posted on the CadillacFAQ site, it's a good bet many have. :)

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/video/index.html

RunningOnEMT
01-17-07, 07:10 AM
the fact that its posted on the FAQ aside....

lets talk turkey

i LOVE my V, don't get me wrong. But i can see where the "cheap" comments ome from. for christ sake the "antlers" on our steering column are the same levers that come in the cobalt etc. (not that thats saying much, the ford GT steering column comes from a focus)

Its the little stuff like that, had they redesigned the tiny little details that would have put it on the level as the german cars for these two retards on top gear

I love my V damnit, wouldnt want a german sedan. As expensive as our cars are to fix sometiems, its 1/8th the cost of repairing a german car.

sy1172
01-17-07, 08:06 AM
I too love my V but yes, do see the cheapness here and there. But, for me, I bought mine used with 4K miles on it for $34,500 and can't touch a lesser powered M3 or S4 for that scratch. Sh$!, I paid less than a mid level Maxima. So, to sum that up, I'll do with some cheapness. Truth is, every car has this. And as far as GM using common components from their parts bin, they all do it. An A8 has the same interior buttons and such as an A4 too.....hmmm. Those Brits on Top Gear have a feather up their arses :)

svassh
01-17-07, 08:09 AM
The cheapness due to reused components from other cars does help reduce engineering costs hence the cost of the car. Sometimes you WIN, the steering wheel. Sometimes you LOSE, the GetRag rear end.

StealthCTSVJJL
01-17-07, 08:42 AM
I agree about the quality of some components, but it's common to see honda switchgear on Acura products, the difference of course is that the cheapest Civic turn signal stalk is much much better quality than the Cavalier stalk we get. But if our interiors were Audi grade we would not be paying 50K for a new cts-V, look at how much Audi charges for CTS-V level performance, the RS-4 is more than 20K more expensive than the CTS-V, and our car is still superior to the RS-4 in some sectors, such as interior space, torque and in my opinion handling, because in the end all quattros understeer at the limit.

RunningOnEMT
01-17-07, 08:52 AM
it's all about the price point fellas... the all mighty dollar

alright who's up for a nice drive in our v's?

ctsvflorida
01-17-07, 09:50 AM
None of us should be offended about the negative comments because as many have said...price, price, price! If you compared the ZO6 to any competition there would be a few things better on the competitions car but not worth the difference in price! The ZO6 is a no brainer just like the V!

P.S. What does V stand for anyway? Is it Vette?

svassh
01-17-07, 10:03 AM

Velocity

BowenCT
01-17-07, 10:12 AM
Velocity

I'm not sure it originally stood for 'velocity' either.

Maybe a dealer can chime in here, but I thought I heard or read that the "V" was representative of some Cadillac nomenclature from back in like the 50s or something.....??

RunningOnEMT
01-17-07, 10:15 AM
None of us should be offended about the negative comments because as many have said...price, price, price! If you compared the ZO6 to any competition there would be a few things better on the competitions car but not worth the difference in price! The ZO6 is a no brainer just like the V!

it is a throwback to the 50's and 60's cadillacs where the shield didn't have a wreath around it but had the big wide "V" underneath... it explains it on the cadillac webpage

its just like the new shelby cobra isnt really a shelby its a ford with the shelby name on it to harken back to the original shelby mustangs built in the shelby plant

fcuk
01-17-07, 10:21 AM
vroooom

lawfive
01-17-07, 11:27 AM
It stands for "velocity," according to Bob Lutz.

HiTechRV
01-17-07, 06:34 PM
I think it's "Very prone to supercharging"

RunningOnEMT
01-17-07, 08:36 PM
:want:
I'm not sure it originally stood for 'velocity' either.

Maybe a dealer can chime in here, but I thought I heard or read that the "V" was representative of some Cadillac nomenclature from back in like the 50s or something.....??

:want: :bouncy:

it is a throwback to the 50's and 60's cadillacs where the shield didn't have a wreath around it but had the big wide "V" underneath... it explains it on the cadillac webpage

its just like the new shelby cobra isnt really a shelby its a ford with the shelby name on it to harken back to the original shelby mustangs built in the shelby plant

lol

Slapshot
01-17-07, 09:57 PM
From the 2004 brochure "V" stands for

"Velocity" Also "visionary." And "Viceral." And "very, very, serious."

"If the CTS breaks the rules - and it does - then the CTS-V throws the book out the window and never looks back"

Cheers...

Dennisscars
01-17-07, 10:21 PM
my favorite...
when I asked the doorknob salesman for a brochure for a CTS-"V" he was quick to correct me stating it was a CTS-"Roman numeral 5"... :gah: if would have been drinking milk it would have shat out my nose... :cow:

sy1172
01-18-07, 06:19 AM
my favorite...
when I asked the doorknob salesman for a brochure for a CTS-"V" he was quick to correct me stating it was a CTS-"Roman numeral 5"... :gah: if would have been drinking milk it would have shat out my nose... :cow:

What a tool, that's great!

RunningOnEMT
01-18-07, 06:35 AM
From the 2004 brochure "V" stands for

"Velocity" Also "visionary." And "Viceral." And "very, very, serious."

"If the CTS breaks the rules - and it does - then the CTS-V throws the book out the window and never looks back"

Cheers...

sounds like more of something a marketing company would come up with, than the original intent, but who knows, it could mean anything

but this is what i was talking about with the emblems

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/avatars/excellence.jpg

heavypedal
01-18-07, 10:22 AM
Yep...saw the video a while back. Loved watching him run the Audi S-4 around the track and "leaving him for dead" on the straight-aways. Wonder who was the driver they got to do the track test time... Stiggie? Did ya'll see we were in the same 10th of a second with the Noble in the dry (British car) and the SL55 in the wet. Loved that he hit 163 MPH top speed ;)

And of course they are going to diss our car. They are the bloody pompous British for Christ's sake. This video reminds me how annoying I think the British are (except for British women ;) Unfortunately, it seems all of Europe feels that way... their cars are "better" than ours. They think American cars are big brutes, gas guzzling, only go in straight line fast (and not "track" cars), not sophisticated (sloppy), and wasteful. They make tiny cars that don't use much gas (gas = $$$$ over in Europe, and you need a tiny car to park anywhere in Europe). Me? I think we have way different demands and likes for our car cultures. Are they better than us?...everyone will have a different opinion. For me, I will give them a limp-wristed wave with a "ta-ta" when I beat them on the track or in a straight line.

Well, our car is just the beginning of turning those European heads around and competing not just in the U.S. market, but on the world market. (Hello...GM...ya listening (because your stockholders are)). Plus, its a start to erasing that old-lady-in-Florida stigma that the pompous Top Gear guy was talking about.

gergreg
01-18-07, 07:36 PM
American cars, for the most part, are rubbish and cannot handle. Want proof? Drive some of our cars ie Buick LaCrosse, Chevy Impala etc. The CTS-V is the only American car, besides the C6 that I would even consider buying. I do own a GTO, but that is Australian so that doesn't count. And on interior quality: gm finally got it right with their newest cars, the STS (06 and newer in particular) and new DTS are pretty good. But before those cars, there wasn't a single american made interior that was acceptable. I would have taken an Audi A3 over an older Deville. GM cars also suffer from very poor steering wheel feel (the way it turns). Most, save for CTS, Escalade, and DTS, clunk and are disgustingly disconnected. The progression isnt smooth at all. However, I think that in perhaps 5 years GM will be up to the European standard, which I do believe there is.

kojack
01-19-07, 06:55 AM
yep....the cts I love, however, the interior of my passat was tighter, and less Cheap, than my cts. but, pull into any store, station or lot and what will get the comments and looks? the CTS hands down...I never once got a comment on nice car with the passat, I get them on a regular basis in the caddy...gotta love it.

The Tony Show
01-19-07, 08:33 AM
V evokes the Cadillac heritage of the V shaped emblem below the La Mothe Cadillac family crest, as well as the V shaped grilles and the fact that Cadillac was the first to build a V16 engine.

....oh yeah: Jeremy Clarkson can suck my balls. His review of the XLR-V is hilariously biased- he talks about how cheap the interior is, but I've driven many SLs and Jag XKs, and they are no better. What a tool.

The Tony Show
01-19-07, 08:38 AM
American cars, for the most part, are rubbish and cannot handle. Want proof? Drive some of our cars ie Buick LaCrosse, Chevy Impala etc. The CTS-V is the only American car, besides the C6 that I would even consider buying. I do own a GTO, but that is Australian so that doesn't count. And on interior quality: gm finally got it right with their newest cars, the STS (06 and newer in particular) and new DTS are pretty good. But before those cars, there wasn't a single american made interior that was acceptable. I would have taken an Audi A3 over an older Deville. GM cars also suffer from very poor steering wheel feel (the way it turns). Most, save for CTS, Escalade, and DTS, clunk and are disgustingly disconnected. The progression isnt smooth at all. However, I think that in perhaps 5 years GM will be up to the European standard, which I do believe there is.

That's typical uninformed Anti-American bias. "The Eurpoean standard"?? Ha! The Europeans wish that their cars were in the top 3 for inital quality in JD Power's study, like Cadillac and Buick are.

Plus, you're comparing generic grocery getter American cars to the premium foreign cars that get imported here, such as A3s and 330is. You want a fair comparison? Let's see how the Impala and LaCrosse handle compared to an entry level Puegot, Citroen or Renault. Reserve the Audi and Mercedes comparisons for the CTS.

rpm_69
01-20-07, 12:35 AM
One of the first things he says is the price: 45K pounds. With the exchange rate that is over $80K in US dollars (just about $90K). Maybe sales tax, tariffs, or other european taxes drive the price up, but I wouldn't pay $90K for a CTS-V either. So think $90K when you watch the review and you'll know where they are coming from.

The US MSRP new is just over half that. I bet if we dropped the price in half the review would be decidedly different. Also, I spent many years as a BMW M3 snob (hell I still have one in the garage) and the Caddy interior is cheap by comparison. The good news is that the pics I saw of the '08 interior look fabulous. As long as Caddy stays the course the CTS-V could be an historically great car for them.

Don't get wrong, I love my CTS-V. But it is inspite of its interior not because of its interior that I love it.