: Coolant Additives?

STS127
01-16-07, 04:34 PM
Does something like water wetter or purple ice actually reduce engine temperatures? Also do you reccomend them.

Submariner409
01-16-07, 04:47 PM
I'd be very antsy about putting coolant additives in a N*. If the engine was designed to run at 16 psi, 195 degrees, that's where the thermostat will keep it, "water wetter" or not. Different story on a high flow or electrical pumped drag engine. The N* is also prone to rewarding your tinkering with a coolant leak here and there. Stick with the factory coolant and Barr's pellets, per Factory Service Manual. An engine that is designed to run at around 200 degrees is about as efficient as you can get in the coolant department. If you pull the thermostat, or replace it with a "low-temperature" unit, you open a can of worms that the onboard computers can't fix, and your gas mileage will go down the tubes.........Nuf ced......

Cad tech
01-16-07, 05:58 PM
I'd be very antsy about putting coolant additives in a N*. If the engine was designed to run at 16 psi, 195 degrees, that's where the thermostat will keep it, "water wetter" or not. Different story on a high flow or electrical pumped drag engine. The N* is also prone to rewarding your tinkering with a coolant leak here and there. Stick with the factory coolant and Barr's pellets, per Factory Service Manual. An engine that is designed to run at around 200 degrees is about as efficient as you can get in the coolant department. If you pull the thermostat, or replace it with a "low-temperature" unit, you open a can of worms that the onboard computers can't fix, and your gas mileage will go down the tubes.........Nuf ced......

Cant agree enough, except for one thing no barrs, use gm coolant system seal tabs p#12378254....

GreenMachine
01-16-07, 07:57 PM
I think he is refering to Bar's version of the GM tabs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/BigEd2006/coolant-oil-changecroped.jpg

Cad tech
01-16-07, 09:38 PM
I would still stick with original but Ive been known not to LMAO.....if you guys have used it and seen no issues I'm game...

I_Finally_Have_A_Cad
01-16-07, 10:15 PM
If memory serves me correct, they are one in the same. In fact, I think Bar's makes the supplement for GM.

Ranger
01-16-07, 10:15 PM
Our old Guru told us that Bars makes the tabs for GM. Exact same stuff (Crushed Ginger root).

CandyRedDHS
01-16-07, 11:13 PM
where do you get these pellet's from i've been to autozone and pepboys and they just say "i don't know", like brain dead zombie's and then i might get the occasional "if it's not on the shelf we don't have", it crap...

Ranger
01-16-07, 11:53 PM
I am told WalMart has them. Farm & Fleet, if you live around here. Should not be hard to find. You can always go to any GM dealer.

GreenMachine
01-17-07, 11:59 AM
Got mine at CarQuest, worst comes to worst dealer couldn't charge to much could they? :P

Rag64top
01-17-07, 03:34 PM
I could not find them anywhere, so I ended up ordering them from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KKIBO/103-4024940-7699805

I gladly paid the shipping rather than keep looking around in stores, which burned up a lot of time and fuel....

Rags

STS127
01-17-07, 03:44 PM
Never heard of these. I'll check local stores for them.

Ranger
01-17-07, 09:51 PM
Got mine at CarQuest, worst comes to worst dealer couldn't charge to much could they? :P
I am sure they are more at a dealer than WallMart, but still cheap. Probably less than $5 I'd guess.

CandyRedDHS
01-18-07, 10:21 PM
YES!!!! there's a carquest right across the street from my school, and if green machine is right I'm in luck...

dkozloski
01-19-07, 12:06 AM
FWIW, ethylene glycol is an excellent wetting agent. It's the major ingredient in anti-spotting wash for photographic processing.

Cad tech
01-19-07, 11:23 AM
FWIW, ethylene glycol is an excellent wetting agent. It's the major ingredient in anti-spotting wash for photographic processing.

WOW...I am going to soak my digital camara in that today:hide: LOL, that is very interesting. Not being an ass either I love leaning new things.