: How do the Tire Pressure Sensors work in the 06??

TheCaddyKidd
01-16-07, 12:25 PM
I have a 2006 Escalade EXT... When I bought the truck I had the dealer install 22 inch rims... anyway i noticed they switched the tire pressure sensors out of the stock rims and threw them into the 22's... well when i first got the truck and after driving for a while when i checked the tire pressure sensors from inside it would read like 35-38.. somewhere in that range.. now when i check them they read like 27-28....I havn't noticed a difference in the ride however if there is air getting out of them that cant be good.. the truck is less then a year old... just wondering why my sensors never went off or anything like that... and the wierd thing is that they all went down in pressure.. not just 1...

also on a side note.. does anyone know the correct pressure for the 305/40/22 tire?? some people said to look on the tire however i have heard that rim shops never put the recommened pressure because too much will make the ride worse.. just wondering if anyone knows what would be good..

hcvone
01-16-07, 12:53 PM
It is not uncommon for tires to lose 10 lbs of pressure from summer to winter, I just got done not 20 minutes ago filling all my cars and SUV's tires, they were all 6-12 lbs low on every car and SUV, and I check them at least 3 times a year.

TheCaddyKidd
01-16-07, 02:57 PM
well thats some good news.. however shouldnt the tire pressure sensor have set a warning off that they were that low? i mean from what i have read i should have about 40 pounds of pressure in the tires.. given that when the tires were hot and driven on in the summer they had 38 but when they werent driven on they were 34 or 35... now when they are driven on they are 28 or so.. shouldnt the sensors have gone off when that kind of change occurs?

hcvone
01-16-07, 04:15 PM
I think they go off under 24 lbs, I know several of my cars use that as their low limit.

ewill3rd
01-16-07, 05:45 PM
When the tire sensors are initially calibrated the module is set for the expected pressure reading. This tells the computer when to "alarm" for low or high pressure.
I think it has to get to 24 psi for the light to come on indicating that a tire is low.

The pressure will drop in cooler weather.
Set the tire pressures to the specification on the tire plackard, usually in the door jamb on the driver's side unless specifically told to use a different pressure by the tire installer.
The size of the tire really shouldn't matter, although I am confident that some would argue differently.