: got a estiment on fixing my 90 brougham

pcm
01-15-07, 07:09 PM
a guy painting cars out of his shop behind his house quoted me 2000.00 to fix my baby. he does pretty good work. i gotta buy the parts but its alot cheaper than every one else. he's going to cut the damaged part out and weld in another. do you think its worth saving. my brougham has over 300,000 miles on it. I found a coup for 100 bucks that i was thinking of turning into a convertable. using parts from mine it wont be that much more money what do you all think. here is some pix of my wrecked brougham

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-15-07, 07:33 PM
With over 300k on it, I'd be sending it straight to the junkyard, but that's just me. I'm not sentimental at all when it comes to cars, and $2,000 is a lot to spend on a car with zero blue book value.

Benzilla
01-15-07, 07:46 PM
Chad? Are you feeling well? that doesn't sound like you at all.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-15-07, 08:42 PM
Heres how I explain my logic. There are 300k miles on that car, which means in fair condition (which it's not), it's worth $1100 from a private party..what you'd expect to pay for that car when buying from another person. Now if the bodywork is gonna run you $2,000, which is a steal, you're $500-$900 in the hole if the car was to get rear ended on the way home...worst case scenario.

So basically, lets say you pay $2,000 to have the bodywork done, and on your way home from the repair shop, you get rear ended (it could happen easily enough, but then again, it's a worst case scenario), the insurance company totals your car and writes you a check for around $1,500, because the car is in fair to good condition after the bodywork. So even after that, you are $500 in the hole.

So maybe I'm too financially concerned, and not sentimental enough, but I hate losing money, more than most other car related things.

That, and I don't like and trust cars with high mileage such as that. It may run excellent, but 300,000 is a hell of a lot of miles, and whenever I'd look down at the odometer, it would sort of nag me.

I hope I didn't come off as being harsh or arrogant, I'm just trying to be realistic here. :)

Benzilla
01-15-07, 08:52 PM
Okay, but I think everybody here has more money in their cars than they'll ever see back. If you love your car it's not about money, I mean, if it was a Sentra, then yeah, total it. But these cars, to most of their owners are about more than getting here to there. I remember when Rick's '79 was totaled, you said he should bring it back like a phoenix, and that had a bent frame. That's all I'm saying, it just doesn't seem like you. Has something happened with the '92?

90Brougham350
01-15-07, 10:07 PM
The fact it has 300,000 is significant. Chad is correct in that it's not worth anything on the books, but the sentimental value a vehicle has can dwarf any repair costs. Honestly, I would send it to the boneyard and find another beautiful 90-92. Ebay always has a fair selection, carsoup, local papers, etc. I can see both sides. Fiscally it only makes sense to cut losses and find a newer, lower-mileage vehicle. Emotionally, that's a different story.

JRau
01-15-07, 11:32 PM
If you junk it, I'd love a shot at a few parts there, PCM. Love the color combo. Too bad about the wreck......

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-16-07, 12:48 AM
It just doesn't seem like you. Has something happened with the '92?

I guess I've just realized that most any stock newer car is replaceable whether it be my '92 deVille, a '98 Camaro SS, a '01 Civic DX, or an '98 Mark VIII LSC. There is nothing real special about my '92 deVille, nothing that would make me want to restore it or throw a ton of money into it if it needed an expensive repair. For example, lets say I lose overdrive for whatever reason tomorrow on the way to work, I need a new transmission, $2200. I'm not gonna put $2200 into my $1000 car, just because it's a Cadillac, or my 1st Cadillac. I'd rather put that $2200 towards a new car, not making this one driveable. I can see what you're saying though, it's like I've lost my automotive soul, but don't worry, it's still there.

Classics are different though, monetary concerns go right out the window when you're talking classics like your cars Ben. For example, I really want a 77-78 Eldorado Biarritz or 72-76 Mark IV, and I'd want one in excellent shape, but I'd buy one in decent shape and put money into it, knowing I'd never make a profit, just to make the car nicer and me happier in the end.

Destroyer
01-16-07, 08:26 AM
I say part it out and junk it. This way the good parts will still be used to keep another from meeting the same fate. At 300k miles you could do all the body work then need a new drivetrain shortly thereafter. There are still plenty of these cars around and that $2k can buy a very decent one. Hell I only paid a little over $1k for mine and it was mint save for the motor which ran great but smoked.

Benzilla
01-16-07, 01:20 PM
I suppose in this case, parting it out would be the best idea, I mean it's not as if the car had been in his family since it was new or something. It's white on white, but still, just for the reasons he has it, if I were him I'd but a different and and part this one.

Although I'd replace it with a '79 coupe, '76 Fleet, or '70 convertible. But that's just me :D

jayoldschool
01-16-07, 01:29 PM
I would think that you could part it out on the forum, ebay, and Craigslist and make more than enough to buy another one. These cars are not expensive or highly desired (by the general population, of course). My mint 81 FWB D' coupe was advertised at $1200, and I got it for 1K (no rust, original paint, all power works, mint interior, low miles).

I am very sentimental about cars (I have 6...lol), but that one is easily replaceable for low bucks.

pcm
01-16-07, 08:35 PM
Thanks thats what I was thinking also. Should I buy the Coupe and turn into a convertible and use the front clip and the motor and trans (rebuilt of course) from the 90. Does ne 1 know if there is a convertible that I can use to turn the Coupe into a LaCabriolet:stirpot: . I would probaly have it white on white also. Has ne one ever heard of a Coupe having a v6? :confused:

Destroyer
01-16-07, 10:41 PM
Thanks thats what I was thinking also. Should I buy the Coupe and turn into a convertible and use the front clip and the motor and trans (rebuilt of course) from the 90. Does ne 1 know if there is a convertible that I can use to turn the Coupe into a LaCabriolet:stirpot: . I would probaly have it white on white also. Has ne one ever heard of a Coupe having a v6? :confused:
Grafting the front clip onto a coupe is a great idea and looks cool as hell cause it looks factory but its not. The convertible idea? Sounds like fun but also sounds like a PITA. Instead of rebuilding the existing motor I'd take all the accessories off it and drop in a crate motor. The tranny could be rebuilt fairly cheap or just get a tranny in a crate too and use your stuff for the core. I know the Devilles came with v6 motors in the very early 80's however I dont recall seeing any Coupe Devilles with one. I dont see any reason why they wouldn't have though.

1990CaddyBrougham
01-20-07, 11:21 PM
i had a coupe deville witih a v6. It was mad slow. lol.

Id def reccomend parting/unloading yours as is. with 300k.... woof thats alot to put in it. I have a blue on blue 91 parts car, it has 77k on it.. its heavily rusted underneith and needs paint. Unfortuanly deeming it a parts car.

Where are you at?

The Ape Man
01-20-07, 11:27 PM
What happened to your car just plain sucks and I know it makes you sick just to think about it. How about looking around for another one while the old car cools off? You could always go back to the idea of fixing it back up.

dkozloski
01-21-07, 12:46 AM
What happened to your car just plain sucks and I know it makes you sick just to think about it. How about looking around for another one while the old car cools off? You could always go back to the idea of fixing it back up.
A real convertible has about a thousand pounds of steel in the lower body that a coupe doesn't have and it's still a flexible flyer. A coupe with no top is going to fold up like a cheap suit the first big bump you hit.