: ICE hits Texas.....CTS-V hits ICE.....then....

1Sonterra
01-15-07, 05:54 PM
:crying: :crying2:

North of San Antonio, the Wife's morning commute turned dangerous when she hit ice at 52 mph. No one hurt but the car......that is the important thing!

Already have her in the shop and have a rental CTS (no V). Thought you might want to know what a fire hydrant does to the side of a CTS-V that is sliding backwards off the side of a highway.

The Tony Show
01-15-07, 05:57 PM
Holy mackeral! Sorry to see the V hurt, but glad your wife is okay. Insurance can't buy you a new one of those.

heavymetals
01-15-07, 05:59 PM
That ain't gonna buff out!:crying:

Glad no one was hurt.

CIWS
01-15-07, 06:09 PM
Definately glad no one was hurt !!

Look at the bright side, it missed the wheels :D

:hide:

Thanks for taking pics and posting them to see what happened.

HushH
01-15-07, 06:09 PM
Glad your wife is ok. That's the important thing.

The V is definitely not easy to handle in the ice and snow.

lawfive
01-15-07, 06:12 PM
All that's important is that your sweetie is safe...

... and that serendipity has given you a perfect opportunity for a Lambo door mod.

RICADDYMAN
01-15-07, 06:18 PM
You had better get some rubbing compound.......all in all , glad that your wife & nobody was hurt!!! That is what Insurance is for!

CVP33
01-15-07, 06:21 PM
1Sonterra,

Glad to hear your wife was uninjured in the accident. It's only money. On a side note, I had similar damage to my car after washing my CTS-V naked. I really can't go into the details here, but if you pm me..................

1Sonterra
01-15-07, 06:28 PM
I learned a long time ago things come and go....can be fixed or replaced.....I am very thankful for her safety.

And....now I know what the inside of the door mechanicals look like without taking off that bothersome interior door trim!

:thepan:

LS1Mike
01-15-07, 06:38 PM
Ouch! Glad no one was hurt...Should not be to hard of a fix, dosen't look like there is any unibody damage.
What road was she on?

I lived in San Antonio for a year in 93.(some time in the Army) I love it! Would move back in a hearbeat! I remeber they got some ice that winter too. Suprised the hell out of man.

50 4Ever
01-15-07, 06:40 PM
Glad your wife is uninjured.

DILLIGAF
01-15-07, 06:57 PM
Reason number 500 why my car sits all winter.Glad the woman driver(your wife) wasn't hurt.

mocts
01-15-07, 06:58 PM
damn i felt like crying after i saw that pic. its good that your wife is ok. im getting ice tomorrow so im hoping school will be closed.

urbanski
01-15-07, 07:14 PM
1. i am sorry, truly. glad all are ok.
2. do NOT let Batchelor touch it. DO NOT. Trust me here. They royally screwed my car up on a repair similar to yours. Get it towed NOW to Cavender downtown, ask for John, and PM me so i can tell you who to say "sent you".

3. just trust me on #2, ok?

1Sonterra
01-15-07, 07:25 PM
1. i am sorry, truly. glad all are ok.
2. do NOT let Batchelor touch it. DO NOT. Trust me here. They royally screwed my car up on a repair similar to yours. Get it towed NOW to Cavender downtown, ask for John, and PM me so i can tell you who to say "sent you".

3. just trust me on #2, ok?

Too late.....I have always had my service at Ken Batchelor, and I have an H2 that I have taken there for years. Unfortunately, I am very familiar with the body shop there, as the H2 has been in there twice. I have not had any problems with the body shop, other than they tend to take in more work than they can handle! I wanted to get it in ASAP and get the claim going since all S.A. area body shops / rental cars will be swamped in the next 72 hours with this winter ice storm hitting.

moldowan
01-15-07, 07:39 PM
dealership body shops always suck. I have my work done by Bob Haines custom coach work here in San Antonio. Billy gibbons has many of his custom hot rods painted by him So.... if its good enough for "pearly gates" its good enough for me!!!
-moldy

P.S. i saw urbys car after batchlor.... good luck to you sir:duck:

heavypedal
01-15-07, 08:40 PM
Oh man....feel for you Texas boys. Can't believe the weather...it was 74 today in NC. Talk about a little role reversal. But I know how quick Texas weather changes...

Sucks that had to happen to your wife and to the car. That must have scared the krap out of her.

1Sonterra
01-15-07, 08:49 PM
Oh man....feel for you Texas boys. Can't believe the weather...it was 74 today in NC. Talk about a little role reversal. But I know how quick Texas weather changes...

Sucks that had to happen to your wife and to the car. That must have scared the krap out of her.

:bonkers: You have no idea how shaken up she was......I have had a long day of tears from her. Mainly because she knows how lucky she really was, and the complete lack of control really freaked her out. Not to mention...this is her daily driver!

Holmes815
01-15-07, 08:54 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of tires were on the V; runflats???? Glad everyone was ok!!!

--James

1Sonterra
01-15-07, 09:01 PM
Out of curiosity, what kind of tires were on the V; runflats???? Glad everyone was ok!!!

--James

Stock Eagle F1 Supercar EMT's. Could have had anything on them and not made a difference. It was black ice on asphalt hwy.....then more ice on tall weeds......then ice on dirt.....and then fire hydrant!

joshdctsv
01-15-07, 09:06 PM
Told my wife she had to stay home today (us Texans and ice do not play well together) ... and then took HER truck to work :D

1Sonterra
01-15-07, 09:20 PM
See original post for the "after" pics....but here are some views of the "before" pics!!

http://buzzlot.com/includes/showpicture.asp?vehicle_id=1G6DN56S250153840&img=/root/data/automanager/ReataChevroletBuickPontiacv2/153840.jpg

theloanman219
01-15-07, 09:38 PM
im very glad that the your wife is safe and a good driver because it could have been much worse! She is safe and like many people have already said you can't buy a new wife. or at least one who speaks english. On the bright side even though your VBEAST has a boo boo it is still the best looking car at the shop and with a few bandaids and some gause it will be good as new. And if it can't be fixed you will get a new.

P.S. Move to southwest florida those things don't happen with ice.

urbanski
01-15-07, 09:44 PM
P.S. Move to southwest florida those things don't happen with ice.

we dont get this very often, last i recall was like 2-3 winters ago.

CIWS
01-15-07, 09:48 PM
Stock Eagle F1 Supercar EMT's.

:eek:

KTSwanson
01-15-07, 09:50 PM

--James
The only tires that work well on ice are studded, and they don't work very well on anything else (besides being illegal in most states, noisy, and tarmac-destroying...other than that they're a good option!). I still recall from my years driving in Minnesota how awful that feeling is in the pit of your stomach, heading down the road at 55 mph, sideways, then backwards, then...hopefully...feeling that sudden decelleration sliding into the snowbank in the center ditch without injury. Horrible sense of zero control...

caddyv8v
01-15-07, 09:54 PM
again, glad everyone is ok. now is the perfect time to add those mods while it's in the shop getting repaired.

CadillacSTS42005
01-15-07, 10:40 PM
dude im so sorry...

Albertan
01-15-07, 10:42 PM
Gee, is no where safe from ice and snow? My brother moved to Dallas to avoid it. We got snow here on weekend and many accidents and we are used to the snow. It's a real bummer when you aren't expecting it though.
Bruce

CadillacGurl
01-15-07, 10:47 PM
I'm glad your wife is ok. I'm sorry about your V, I can only imagine what that feels like.

heavymetals
01-15-07, 10:55 PM
People here in Southern Calif don't know how to drive in the rain, let alone snow and ice.

Albertan
01-15-07, 10:59 PM
Heavy
Didn't I just see a news piece about frozen Oranges in California? The other day it was snowing in Vegas!
Bruce

heavymetals
01-15-07, 11:09 PM
Heavy
Didn't I just see a news piece about frozen Oranges in California? The other day it was snowing in Vegas!
Bruce

They are saying that they lost half of the citrus crop in Calif.

erp2863
01-15-07, 11:31 PM
Sorry to see that.

1Sonterra
01-16-07, 11:54 AM
we dont get this very often, last i recall was like 2-3 winters ago.

Most of the S.A. area and the Texas Hill Country are shut down with ice today...I am sure the accidents will continue to pile up. We are staying home! I have an H2 and I am still not going anywhere. :thehand:

daytripper
01-16-07, 07:35 PM
Gee, is no where safe from ice and snow? My brother moved to Dallas to avoid it. Bruce

No ice or snow here in Southeastern, PA, but its still early...

Damage doesn't look too bad. Pretty lucky not to damage the wheels, fenders, rocker panels, bumpers, etc. -- not even pop the glass in the doors. I presume the airbags didn't deploy either and no unibody damage. Looks like only front fender needs paint (aside from the doors, of course) As accidents go, this seems about as lucky as you could get.

Good luck with the repairs.

Brian R.

HiTechRV
01-16-07, 07:37 PM
Stock Eagle F1 Supercar EMT's. Could have had anything on them and not made a difference. It was black ice on asphalt hwy.....then more ice on tall weeds......then ice on dirt.....and then fire hydrant!

I wonder if Blazzaks would help - They seem to work better even on ice.

C66 Racing
01-16-07, 11:42 PM
Holy mackeral! Sorry to see the V hurt, but glad your wife is okay. Insurance can't buy you a new one of those.

I agree!

Weather's been pretty nasty here in the Puget Sound this winter. We had ice and snow again today. My CTS-V has been parked in the garage so as not to end up like yours and I've been driving my 4x4 F350 tow vehicle to work for most of the last two months. :(

DILLIGAF
01-16-07, 11:49 PM
My V is in the garage with a dead battery because I left the door open for a couple of days.I can't get my garage door open,froze shut.I really need to move the car,I parked it crappy.In the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aresuu
01-17-07, 12:53 AM
I thought I saw some ugly things yesterday driving my 20 miles to work on the ice - in my Tahoe - but that is the ugliest for the day.
Thankful your wife was not hurt.

Our Metroplex ice was all but gone by last night so took the V today. :)

CIWS
01-17-07, 06:50 AM
Our Metroplex ice was all but gone by last night so took the V today. :)

But go outside this morning and find what I found, it's sleeting again and the weather shows 90% chance precip with wintery mix and snow for today, temp is 27deg. It's all urbi's fault !!!

http://www.ciws.info/snowradar.jpg

rand49er
01-17-07, 06:59 AM
Four degrees here right now ... ice covering everything ... people without power just north and east of us ... ours was off for three 1-second outages (just enough to have to reset ALL the digital clocks in the house) ... going to NAIAS this morning with Woody_MI. :)

We're a bit more used to this, but have to "learn" how again each year. Hope all you guys warm up soon.

Dang global warming.

CIWS
01-17-07, 07:03 AM
The folks down here are about as used to this as you guys would be getting 110 deg days for weeks on end during the summer. :) I called work to make sure nothing pressing was broke, so I'm planning on using a day of leave and stay home so I don't have to drive in it with the other nuts who may slide into me. That is as long as nothing major breaks.

Aresuu
01-17-07, 09:47 AM
Another Tahoe day, for sure.
And I am going to Ohio on Saturday. What was I thinking. :banghead:

CIWS
01-17-07, 09:49 AM
Here's a couple just taken from outside my front door.

http://www.ciws.info/texice1.jpg

http://www.ciws.info/texice2.jpg

urbanski
01-17-07, 10:21 AM
where is sweet lady K?

CIWS
01-17-07, 06:59 PM
Inside one of those garages :)

50 4Ever
01-17-07, 09:23 PM
I agree!

Weather's been pretty nasty here in the Puget Sound this winter. We had ice and snow again today. My CTS-V has been parked in the garage so as not to end up like yours and I've been driving my 4x4 F350 tow vehicle to work for most of the last two months. :(

I just realized where you live, I thought it sounded familiar. I was all over the Puget Sound area in July. We stayed in Port Townsend and the next night was in Bremerton. We passed through Silverdale. You didn't see about 10 Corvettes going thru town did ya...

lawfive
01-17-07, 09:34 PM
One of my guys at work called in late to deal with day #2 of frozen pipes in his mobile home. Frozen water pipes in Southern fcuking California, and not in the mountains, either! "Arctic air mass," indeed.

C66 Racing
01-17-07, 11:13 PM
I just realized where you live, I thought it sounded familiar. I was all over the Puget Sound area in July. We stayed in Port Townsend and the next night was in Bremerton. We passed through Silverdale. You didn't see about 10 Corvettes going thru town did ya...

Wish I had but I must've been working... :(