: Downside to the New '07 Interior

b4z
01-15-07, 03:20 PM
I have a '07 SRX rental while my '04 is getting the mufflers replaced for the second time and the and rear driver's side window stopped working.

Overall the design is visually head and shoulders above the '04-06s, but what the Lord Giveth He Also Taketh away.

There is no magic bullet and some shortcuts were taken in typical GM fashion.

The '04-06s actually have more soft touch surfaces.
The new binnacles is hard as are the sides of the armrests among other things.

The biggest dissapointment is the lower door pockets which have to be made out of the thinnest plastic I have ever encountered on an automobile.
It is so flimsy that i see somebody jamming something wide into them causing it to crack and the whole door panel will have to replaced.

The other problem was the cool storage area over the glove box and behind the wood strip. It rattles like crazy on this 4K mile rental. I am talking non stop, if the car is moving.

Overall I would say a huge improvement but GM's execution is the same that is always is. Not quite there. But as a GM loyalist it wouldn't stop me from buying since I like my '04 a lot.

louisn
01-15-07, 04:42 PM
I am sure the 2007 interiors are an improvements; but I was told that much of the interior (which some complain about because of its use of plastic-like materials) is actually coated in some space age "fabric" that while resembling plastic-- is actually a very expensive and high quality material.

Lord Cadillac
01-15-07, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the review, b4z...

BaseBoy
01-16-07, 12:19 PM
The odometer on my 07 SRX turned 1,000 this morning. There are about 4 irritating rattles in the dash. I have not had it serviced yet.

cfishkin
01-17-07, 12:16 AM
Wait, what about the mufflers ? Why did they have to be replaced twice ? I haven't heard of that yet. Is it something I should expect in the future ?

naplesam
01-19-07, 10:11 AM
The odometer on my 07 SRX turned 1,000 this morning. There are about 4 irritating rattles in the dash. I have not had it serviced yet.

If I were you, I'd take it in RIGHT NOW and not wait! My '04 rattled like crazy and has been back in MANY times. While they have fixed some, not all and as I posted elsewhere here, I am getting rid of my "rattler". I almost bought a new '07 last fall, but now after seeing your post, I'm glad I didn't.

Hope you have better luck getting it fixed than I did.

Mike_S_30189
01-20-07, 07:52 AM
Do not throw in the towel. I have a 2007 with 4k on the odometer with zero rattles.

chiefmjk
01-20-07, 10:21 AM
I have a 2006 AWD with 18,000 rattle free miles. :duck:

TSS
01-20-07, 01:04 PM
2006 rattle free with 6500 miles AND I have the Ultraview!

leeclapp
01-20-07, 02:13 PM
We just purchased an 07 Sport SRX and the only annoying feature that I find is the reflectivity of the trim around the A/C outlets in the front cabin. They really glare off of the inside of the drivers and passengers side windows. While looking in the rear-view mirror, you sometimes think that there is another vehicle when in fact it is only the reflection of the air vent trim pieces...................Lee Clapp Fort Myers, Florida 33967

MortnCyn
01-21-07, 11:10 AM
We just purchased an 07 Sport SRX and the only annoying feature that I find is the reflectivity of the trim around the A/C outlets in the front cabin. They really glare off of the inside of the drivers and passengers side windows. While looking in the rear-view mirror, you sometimes think that there is another vehicle when in fact it is only the reflection of the air vent trim pieces...................Lee Clapp Fort Myers, Florida 33967 I agree. Any shiny interior trim is annoying. No need for it. Even the chrome around the shifter will reflect sun to the eyes on occasion. Have considered covering the chrome with a good flat black tape.

c5 rv
01-21-07, 12:32 PM
I agree. Any shiny interior trim is annoying. No need for it. Even the chrome around the shifter will reflect sun to the eyes on occasion.

Amen! I don't even like the bright rings around the gauges.

Kalibr
01-22-07, 02:40 PM
I have a '06 with 6400 miles. It's been to the dealer twice for the same annoying rattle that seems to emanate from somewhere in the dash; quite possibly a loose wiring harness (who knows). The dealer has advised me that they have tightened every screw and bolt (so they say), but to no avail. The rattle continues. Unfortunately, it makes an otherwise fine vehicle unappealing to drive.

One of the times I had my car in to be serviced, I was given a ’07 SRX loaner, which I drove for several days. I definitely liked the design of the new interior. It’s a great improvement over the previous model years. More importantly though, it did not rattle!

jdanek
01-25-07, 02:59 PM
I also agree. The shiny trim reflecting in the driver and passenger side mirrors is very annoying.

Also, the Bose 5.1 radio in my '07 is by far the worst sounding stereo I've ever owned...

The bass booms so bad you can't tell when one beat ends the next begins. It just becomes road noise after a while. I thought I might have a bad unit but the service manager said they've received a bunch of complaints about it.

The automatic volume control is worthless. You can't adjust the compensation level, it's either on or off. When turned on the volume range is ridiculous, way too quiet when stopped then too loud when traveling. I keep it off.

and while I'm at it... not being able to scroll through MP3 folders or XM categories when the car starts rolling is also really annoying. I almost fell over when the dealer said this was a "safety feature". It's bad enough I have to pull over to let my wife (in the passenger seat) enter an address into Nav. They've really gone too far with this legal crap. Next time I'll pass on the Nav unit and buy a $400 portable Garmin unit that I can actually use :rant2:

Well I can't end on a negative remark... the interior is still a big improvement over the '06 version, no rattles at 2K miles, and the V8 w/MAG ride is awesome. :2thumbs:

Mike_S_30189
01-28-07, 09:28 AM
Rgearding the radio, I may be in the minority but I love the radio. Maybe your issue is the bass setting? My family and I really enjoy the sound and the ability to plug in our Ipods.

dcarr66
01-28-07, 03:14 PM
I noticed in my '06 that it was very bassy, especially when the kids' hip-hop was playing. ;) I had the fade set toward the rear, which I always do since the front speakers in every car I've owned always seem too tinny. I reset the fader to be centered, and the bass is much more bearable now.

Not sure if it's the same in the '07, but it's worth a shot.

jdanek
02-02-07, 11:12 AM
I had the fade set toward the rear, which I always do since the front speakers in every car I've owned always seem too tinny. I reset the fader to be centered, and the bass is much more bearable now.
Not sure if it's the same in the '07, but it's worth a shot.

Yes, that does help along with keeping the bass level very low. It's still disappointing that the premium SRX/Bose 5.1 audio system doesn't sound as good as the base CTS stereo.

On a different matter.... my SRX was delivered with a slight scratch in the instrument cluster (left lower side over the rpm gauge). I almost let it go but last week asked the dealer if this could be replaced. They agreed and ordered a new cluster assembly. They claim to have replaced the cluster with a new part from GM yet there is still a slight mark in the same location and the area has clearly been re-polished. The dealer assures me the cluster was replaced so I have to assume that GM had a batch of scratched clusters and is trying to pass them off of new parts. Also the gear selection display no longer works so I actually believe they did replace the unit. Ugh!