: Looking to purchase aftermarket Nav system

maggie may
01-15-07, 11:52 AM
Looking for feedback, opions or suggestion on an aftermarket DVD/NAV system.

I have an 06 Escalade standard Bose stereo. I was looking at the Pioneer AVIC Z1. Anyone have this? Thanks for your feedback or suggestions.

benamaster
01-15-07, 12:25 PM
The AVIC-Z1 is a great unit. At CES they showed the AVIC-Z2 which isn't that big of a change. Alpine also has the new IVA-W205 which holds a portable navigation unit inside. Both are pretty cool and work well.

Airn23
01-15-07, 05:25 PM
I have been eyeing the Avic-Z1 too. any feedback would be great!

maggie may
01-16-07, 08:14 AM
I read some reviews of the system on some other sites, they seem to be mixed, more towards the positive. Biggest concern seems to be the functionality of the nav. You have to have the parking brake set in order to set a new destination. Having that bypass the parking brake sends a warning signal everytime at start up. IPOD functionality seems to be cumbersome, you can only use the touch screen to control your ipod and the functionality takes getting use to. Overall it seems to be a good system. Still looking at others if any one can recomend.

yourgmsolutions
01-16-07, 10:37 AM
Biggest concern seems to be the functionality of the nav. You have to have the parking brake set in order to set a new destination. Having that bypass the parking brake sends a warning signal everytime at start up.

if You go to AVIC forums, few guys posted fix how to overide e_brake on AVIC Z1.
I also seen this fix posted on avalanche forum as well

benamaster
01-16-07, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about functions in drive because just about every one of the aftermarket NAV systems have an over ride.

8ball
01-18-07, 05:15 PM
With an after market nav system do the controls on your steering wheel still work and do the bose speakers still sound good?

joshswiderek
01-18-07, 07:48 PM
I just installed an avic z1 in a 2007 Denali. LOVE IT! This things is awesome. Yes, steering wheel controls still work and the rear monitor too. Very nice unit. Bluetooth, XM with Navtraffic and Ipod interface. Sounds much better than the stock Bose IMO.

benamaster
01-18-07, 08:07 PM
I just installed an avic z1 in a 2007 Denali. LOVE IT! This things is awesome. Yes, steering wheel controls still work and the rear monitor too. Very nice unit. Bluetooth, XM with Navtraffic and Ipod interface. Sounds much better than the stock Bose IMO.

Did you use the factory BOSE amp or go directly to the speakers?

Sloppy D
01-18-07, 09:43 PM
I have had the Z1 in the caddy for a year now and overall I am mostly happy. The bypass is cake and overall it is a great unit. deffinatley stick to the z1 the Z2 is the identical unit with a software upgrade that will be offered to the Z1 owners for a nominal fee. The Navi is HD based and is pretty much right on the money.
My only complaint on this unit is the ipod interface, IF you are not a heavy ipod user then this unit is flat out awesome. About the only thing I use is my IPOD and it is a pain, the screen layout and information is nice but the functions are slow with a 1 to 2 second pause after a button is pushed, and getting to a particular song is a nightmare if you want to get to song 4,763 good luck you will be there all day as there is now way to fastscroll or look up by letter, also when you go to search a new song it starts you off from A not from the song your at, I have learned to deal with this by setting up playlists with my favorites and useing shuffle to jump through songs till I find one Im in the mood for. Don't take this as a Knock on the unit other than this I love it, it is sweet. If you are an avid Ipod user there is another option which I am probablly going to end up going with which is installing the D3 which is due out in march, I wrote a post on this on Avic411.com titled disapointment. Basically it looks like the D3 is going to be a far more superior unit and it kind of irritated me a little as the Z is supposed to be the flag ship. But the D3 offers direct cable ipod control that is the same speed as direct ipod use, ipod layout on screen, offers everything the Z1 offers minus the voice control which isnt that great, and it has a non morotized screen that is 6.1 instead of 7in I actually like this as there are less to break. the D3 is a DVD based navigation and alot of people have two complaints about this, it is said that it is slower and less acruate than HD I had an N1 before this and cant say that I have noticed a difference in either, the second is that if you want to use the DVD/CD player you must remove the navi disc to use the player which puts the navi in memory mode and only shows the basics, the easy fix for this is the Pioneer XDV-P6 in dash dvd/cd unit this way you leave the Navi disc in the head unit and have a 6 disc dvd/CD changer problem solved, the other cool the about the D3 is that the colors of the hard buttons and the soft buttons can be changed to more than 3000 different colors thereisa color wheel to change it. Avic411 is the place to go for information but overall both units are sweet the Z1 just has a poor design for the ipod other than that it is sweet I personally think I will end up swapping to the D3 with the In Dash Changer these two items can be bought for the price of the Z1 all in all it comes down to choice but I would definatley go with the pioneer units I have had an Eclipse 5935 and a Kenwood 8019 both with navi and the pioneer units are superior in both Navi and overall functionality.

joshswiderek
01-19-07, 08:13 PM
I used the Factory Bose amp. Not enough bass for me so I am gonna add an amp and custom sub enclosure. Other that that highs and mids sound good to me