: Welcomed to 'Lade ownership the hard way

m31ab
01-15-07, 12:33 AM
Hey group,

I bought my first Caddy late December, an '04 Black 'Lade with 32k miles on it, traded in an '02 X5. Anyways, was at my local watering hole and get a phone call from my wife's mobile... she's right next to me, I'm thinking she accidentily hit her Sidekick button or its going crazy, turns out she left it in the 'lade, and boom, we rushed out to a broken front passenger window. Apparently it was the 4th vehicle that night SO FAR to get broken into. Naturally I call the police blah blah, bastids stole a Sidekick and my brand new Lenovo Thinkpad tablet I just got Wednesday. Luckily nothing was on it. When we were leaving a guy was next to to the entrance and was talking with a different cop, I asked if his got hit too, he said yep and lifted up his shirt revealing a badge, undercover cop baby, so maybe theres a little hope.

Anyways, I've been reading through the forum as I usually do trying to learn as much as I can, I guess I'm off to find a replacement glass tomorrow and get some quotes on alarms. Gotta get retinted too, PO had put some killer tint on her. Looking forward to being here with ya guys...

Synergetic
01-15-07, 05:20 AM
Same thing happened to me, but they did $20,000+ worth of damage. How did it feel coming out a broken passenger window? I know it felt terrible walking up to mine. Sucks that it happened so soon after your new purchase. I've learned since my experience to bring all my valuables with me. Sorry about the stolen items. Some people just don't know what to do with their lives than to mess with others who are doing bigger things than they are.

hcvone
01-15-07, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the Forum, and sorry for your problem. :(

jrs05caddyext
01-15-07, 09:42 AM
Welcome. Good Luck

djmodifyd
01-15-07, 11:20 AM
welcome...hope it all works out for you!

hornyjuan
01-15-07, 12:13 PM
Most of these guys are petty thieves. Like Syn said, never leave anything valuable in your car including your registration. All they're looking for is small valuable items that can be easily pocketed. Breaking into a car these days is barely even a misdemeanor and in some cities isn't even a slap on the wrist. Now GTA is another story so the chances of someone trying to drive your car off are slim. As far as alarms go, most of these guys are pretty slick. They use spark plugs to shatter the glass...it's almost silent other than the sound of the glass hitting the floor. Alarms going off are pretty common these days so most people won't even take a second glance. I would suggest putting a couple of air horns in the cabin of your car as well as under the hood. That type of alarm will definetly attract some attention.

m31ab
01-15-07, 12:26 PM
Synergetic,

Felt kind of weird, obviously I'm nowhere in your class, this is my first theft, so I don't know what to feel, I know I'm out at least $1150 so far. It did suck driving home in the cold, we're in the midst of an ice storm.

hornyjuan,

Guess I've been living in a bubble until now. My father-in-law had his truck stolen a few months back, they got him at church, took his briefcase, found out where he lived, went to his house, broke into the house, then stole his truck. They found it 2 weeks later adandoned and apparently the idiots tried to take out a ATM with it (2 ton Diesel). He has the worst luck. Needless to say, I try to keep anything that has our personal information out of the car. Theres a fingerprint system on the laptop so I'm confident they will not be able to break into that, even if they do, theres nothing on it, I never got a chance to break it in.

Right now I'm looking at an alarm that will send an email or text message when it goes off.

Synergetic
01-15-07, 03:48 PM
Synergetic,

Felt kind of weird, obviously I'm nowhere in your class, this is my first theft, so I don't know what to feel, I know I'm out at least $1150 so far. It did suck driving home in the cold, we're in the midst of an ice storm.

hornyjuan,

Guess I've been living in a bubble until now. My father-in-law had his truck stolen a few months back, they got him at church, took his briefcase, found out where he lived, went to his house, broke into the house, then stole his truck. They found it 2 weeks later adandoned and apparently the idiots tried to take out a ATM with it (2 ton Diesel). He has the worst luck. Needless to say, I try to keep anything that has our personal information out of the car. Theres a fingerprint system on the laptop so I'm confident they will not be able to break into that, even if they do, theres nothing on it, I never got a chance to break it in.

Right now I'm looking at an alarm that will send an email or text message when it goes off.

There are definetely alarms out there that do this, send you a message when your alarm goes off. Obviously sending an e-mail is not the best solution compared to a TXT message or loud alert on your phone if that can be done. Even then, it just maybe too late! Hornyjuan is correct. Never leave anything valuable, including your registration. I also had to drive in the rain back to the house. It was only 2 days later, my alarm was going off again and came out to the side door in the garage wide open.

Again, sorry about the stolen items. We live and learn from these kind of experiences. You will think twice on where you park and how far next time. Its unfortunate that it has to be this way but the only thing we can do is avoid it as best as possible.

m31ab
01-15-07, 09:40 PM
There are definetely alarms out there that do this, send you a message when your alarm goes off. Obviously sending an e-mail is not the best solution compared to a TXT message or loud alert on your phone if that can be done. Even then, it just maybe too late! Hornyjuan is correct. Never leave anything valuable, including your registration. I also had to drive in the rain back to the house. It was only 2 days later, my alarm was going off again and came out to the side door in the garage wide open.

Again, sorry about the stolen items. We live and learn from these kind of experiences. You will think twice on where you park and how far next time. Its unfortunate that it has to be this way but the only thing we can do is avoid it as best as possible.

Heh, what I've read about what you went through, man, what's happened to me is nothing. I've always wanted to do an incar surveillance, mostly for door dings, I'm already about to do an inhouse surveillance so I might as well go all out, especially since they are cheap.

Got my window fixed and got the whole vehicle retinted with Llumar. Hopefully it'll make them at least WORK next time.

This has got me thinking tho, what if I was packing? Man, that could turn into a serious situation quick.

Synergetic
01-15-07, 11:13 PM
Heh, what I've read about what you went through, man, what's happened to me is nothing. I've always wanted to do an incar surveillance, mostly for door dings, I'm already about to do an inhouse surveillance so I might as well go all out, especially since they are cheap.

Got my window fixed and got the whole vehicle retinted with Llumar. Hopefully it'll make them at least WORK next time.

This has got me thinking tho, what if I was packing? Man, that could turn into a serious situation quick.

I do it but a lot of people I know are against it. I have my stuff in a place where it can't be found unless you really dig and try to find it. I wouldn't waste the money on in car serveillance. I started thinking crazy when I got broken into, then realized that I just need to find smart places to park. If where I'm going won't be too easy to park, I won't take the Escalade.

Nasty Black Lac
01-17-07, 02:23 PM

The guy was already gone with your stuff. It would be pretty tough to confront your theif without a paging alarm...

m31ab
01-17-07, 07:20 PM
I should've specified, what if my the 'Lade was packing. Regular thieves turn into armed and dangerous, I dunno, I don't own any weapons, was just thinking because of all the owners here who are packing.