: Battery Warranty? Such a thing?

CTS-BV
01-14-07, 11:00 PM
So who else can leave their headlihgts on for 10 minutes, only to find that the car won't turn over?

I've had this happen a few times now and after complaining to my local Cadillac Dealership (Ettleson Cadillac) they tested the battery and found that since it passes their GM test, I am SOL. They went on to mention that all the brand new Caddy's on the lot will exhibit the same thing if lights are left on for 10 minutes. I say BS!

My CTS-V's battery starts it just fine every morning. It starts when I leave it at the airport for as much as a week. But leave the lights on for a little while and -- nothing.:ill:

CTS-BV

pabstcadillac
01-14-07, 11:05 PM
Next time it happens maybe call roadside. I believe policy for Cadillacs on dead batteries is to replace them. That way you may be able to circumvent having to deal with the dealership. Just a thought.

sefa01
01-14-07, 11:13 PM
I learned my lesson early on with my '04. When waxing it, I left the radio on. The job took about an hour and the battery was dead. Just to prove how stupid I am, I did it the next time, too. Same result.

CTS-BV
01-14-07, 11:34 PM
Good thoughts, but the dealership won't do anything because it passes their test. It's a matter of capacity, rather than CCA. The GM tester doesn't account for this anomally. They test the battery by connecting it to the test unit via battery cables, press a test button and it prints out a report. If that report says "FAIL" you get a new battery because they have proof and can get reumbursed by GM. If it says "PASS" you get nothing except a long discussion about how they ALLLLLLLLL act this way....have I bitched enough yet? God, I must be on my period! lol :mad2: :crying: :cookoo: :ill: :bomb: :annoyed: :crying2: :drool:

The other problem is that our batteries are only 6 5/8" tall. They have to be short to fit under the hood properly. Have any of you tried to cross our battery to a much better aftermarket one? Good luck! I personally like Optima Red Top Batteries. They're almost 8" tall -- won't fit. Odyssey makes one that's the right height, but those are dry cell batteries. Most used for specific racing applications -- still not a solution.

CTS-BV

ewill3rd
01-15-07, 07:22 AM
In order for us to be able to replace the battery, you are correct, we MUST have a failure code.
The problem is that Delco batteries are really good at holding a "surface charge" and will usually test good if you don't know how to kick them in the you know what properly before they are tested.

If I know a battery is bad but the tester keeps saying good there are a few things I try. First of all some guys get fooled because the tester says "charge and retest". If you actually charge it and retest it, then it will tell you it is good. What you have to do is put a carbon pile tester on it and hit it a few times with about a 300 amp test.
Then disconnect the battery and test it with the right test adapters. Usually that is all it takes. It sound like yours is on the edge of dying, you could try another dealer?

Batteries are sized by "group" numbers. The CTS-V has a 101 series battery. If you are shopping for a battery, ask them if they have a replacement for a 101 battery. If they give you the deer in the headlights look, find someone else to talk to.
The group number indicates the physical size of the battery and the location and type of terminal connection.

CTS-BV
01-16-07, 08:32 PM
In order for us to be able to replace the battery, you are correct, we MUST have a failure code.
The problem is that Delco batteries are really good at holding a "surface charge" and will usually test good if you don't know how to kick them in the you know what properly before they are tested.

If I know a battery is bad but the tester keeps saying good there are a few things I try. First of all some guys get fooled because the tester says "charge and retest". If you actually charge it and retest it, then it will tell you it is good. What you have to do is put a carbon pile tester on it and hit it a few times with about a 300 amp test.
Then disconnect the battery and test it with the right test adapters. Usually that is all it takes. It sound like yours is on the edge of dying, you could try another dealer?

Batteries are sized by "group" numbers. The CTS-V has a 101 series battery. If you are shopping for a battery, ask them if they have a replacement for a 101 battery. If they give you the deer in the headlights look, find someone else to talk to.
The group number indicates the physical size of the battery and the location and type of terminal connection.

I understand and agree with your knowledge of the procedure by which a customer's battery is assessed. However, I doubt a tech is going to "carbon pile test" it for me so it actually fails like it should anyway.

Should I try another dealership? Why? Why can't the one right by my house do the right thing and issue a new battery to me? Oh, and this got me REALLY pissed :rant2: later, that night the service manager (or so he said he was) called me at home and through our conversation, asked me if I bought the car at his dealership. Can you believe that??!! :tisk: It is illegal to show prejudice to customers who haven't purchased the car from that dealership, first of all, and secondly, it's just poor business.

I don't blame tech's. Many of my good friends are auto tech's, just at other manufacturers dealerships.

CTS-BV

pabstcadillac
01-16-07, 08:37 PM
later, that night the service manager (or so he said he was) called me at home and through our conversation, asked me if I bought the car at his dealership. Can you believe that??!! :tisk: It is illegal to show prejudice to customers who haven't purchased the car from that dealership, first of all, and secondly, it's just poor business.

CTS-BV

How do you know it was to show prejudice? Did he/she say you would be treated differently if it was? Perhaps they were hoping to simply get a little more history from the vehicle. Maybe it had died on the lot & already has been jumped a couple of times, but there is no record of it in service because the lot attendant(s) were responsible for the fix.

Going back to my original post though, have roadside come. That is what they do & they aren't going to test the battery, just replace it. :2cents: :alchi:

CTS-BV
01-16-07, 08:46 PM
How do you know it was to show prejudice? Did he/she say you would be treated differently if it was? Perhaps they were hoping to simply get a little more history from the vehicle. Maybe it had died on the lot & already has been jumped a couple of times, but there is no record of it in service because the lot attendant(s) were responsible for the fix.

Going back to my original post though, have roadside come. That is what they do & they aren't going to test the battery, just replace it. :2cents: :alchi:

To answer your question about the Service Manager's motives, I have to admit, I don't know for sure. But it was in his tone. Talking to me like I was 18 years old and naive. Very disrespectful.:thehand:

As for the Roadside Assistance.....what are you saying? If I called them, they wouldn't jump me and get me going? They would replace my battery? Who's to say they'd have my particular battery on board? That sounds a bit optomistic. Do you have experience in this matter?

CTS-BV

pabstcadillac
01-16-07, 09:00 PM
To answer your question about the Service Manager's motives, I have to admit, I don't know for sure. But it was in his tone. Talking to me like I was 18 years old and naive. Very disrespectful.:thehand:

As for the Roadside Assistance.....what are you saying? If I called them, they wouldn't jump me and get me going? They would replace my battery? Who's to say they'd have my particular battery on board? That sounds a bit optomistic. Do you have experience in this matter?

CTS-BV

Tone I can understand & you're right, nobody should have to deal with that.

As for the battery I believe that is Cadillacs Roadside policy I could be wrong. There are however only a hand full of batteries that are used still under factory warranty, including CPO's. Not too mention roadside assistance personnel also come from local dealerships where they should have the proper battery in stock. The number to call is 1-800-882-1112. At a minimum if they only jump it (Which if there's a history of failure I doubt they would because that creates more work for them to come out every 2 weeks) you would be less likely to void any warranty by doing it yourself. You paid for the vehicle & the warranty, use it when necessary. :2cents: Fyi- when mine died this summer at a mall in Phoenix, yes it was replaced no questions asked. :alchi:

nikon
01-16-07, 09:29 PM

CTS-BV

I can attest to the fact that they will change your battery for you, no questions asked....but its all in what you say to the cadillac cust service rep..they may or may not ask you if you want a jump so you can drive to your local dealer and have the problem "properly taken care of" I simply got lucky, by battery died on a saturday an hour before the shop closed and did'nt open till monday...so I said, bring me a battery not jumper cables...mainly because it died when I was at my house and even a charge would'nt bring it back, but nonetheless..it happened to be the shop foreman that came out there and replaced the battery next time I went in for service (couple days later) he said the battery tested fine, but it did'nt matter since they don't need to test it for roadside anyways....so insist that you dont have time to take your car to the dealer and say you want a battery and that you'll wait for them to come...obviously make sure the car wont start before the tech gets there or he's not gonna do anything....good luck.

edit: apparently I have an issue with run-on sentences tonight, please excuse me.

ewill3rd
01-16-07, 09:35 PM
Some dealers place a great deal of emphasis on where you bought the car.
It is sad but true. We try not to do that at our dealership unless we feel that the customer is using and abusing us, and some do try.

It's hard to answer some of these questions, some techs just haven't gotten used to knowing when a battery is bad and trying different test methods to prove it and get the failure code and with a flat rate pay system, it doesn't really pay us very well to go out of our way to try to prove the battery is bad anyway. As with anything it takes knowledge combined with practice and with the special tool we have to use and GMs restrictions on replacement sometimes it is really hard to find a guy who can pin it down.

I think it's been suggested, you could kill the battery on purpose and call roadside. It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to make it happen and roadside will usually replace the battery and tell you to have it checked out at the dealer to make sure the charging system is okay and the generator is working properly.

ewill3rd
01-16-07, 09:36 PM
Oh, if you tell them what kind of car you have and that you have been having battery problems they should look up the battery type and have one in his truck when he comes to your door.