: Traction control Question???????

TrazzNJ
01-14-07, 10:01 PM
Is ther a way to COMPLETELY turn of the T/C ??? It seems like its on even in "Agressive Driving" mode. Am I imagining this ??? :wtf2:

The Tony Show
01-14-07, 10:12 PM
When everything is on (no TC light in the dash), press and hold the TC button on the steering wheel until your Nav screen says "Stability system disabled".

Please be careful when doing this, or you risk joining the ranks of crashed Vs. This car can get out of hand real quick without Stablilitrak watching over you.

HiTechRV
01-14-07, 10:31 PM
You can turn it off entirely. DO you really want too? I understand TC being off, but Stabiitrak is my friend...

ctsvflorida
01-14-07, 10:33 PM
Maybe someone else can chime in here and Tony should know this answer as well as I have been having this problem for a year and no one can figure it out. Yes, I have the same problem as you my friend! The question is: When in competetion mode shouldn't your tires be able to spin off the rim?

Now, I will tell you what my car does and has been doing it for a long time without anyone knowing what the hell it is. In any mode, including 'stability system off' it always seems like T/C is on but only when shifting hard and the car wants to bite hard! I can flat punch it in first and get 3-5 rotations of tire spin and then hit second hard at 6000 rpm's, when it may get a 1/4 of a tire spin and then the rpm's lay down, like the T/C is kicking in and then go again! It will repeat this everytime I shift hard till 5th where there is no biting to the pavement because of no tire spin. Again, with T/C off mode or the stability off mode it will spin tires but from flat punching only. Shifting is where the problem lies! If this is the same with you, then good luck in finding a fix but maybe someone will chime in here and finally have an answer. People have replied to my earlier posts about this but nothing has solved the problem yet! Any more suggestions for me and TRAZZNJ will be appreciated, I'm sure!

I hope this is understandable as it is difficult to explain in writing...especially for me! RIGHT Tony?

CTS-BV
01-14-07, 10:43 PM
I too, noticed this right away. Even when in "Competition Mode" Ctability Control still activates when you're sideways. This is not the case in the Vettes so what gives???!!:thepan:

CTS-BV

HiTechRV
01-14-07, 10:53 PM
Competition mode is NOT full off - in 'vettes or the V. You can engage full off but that is not competition mode, which is instead higher limits for Stabilitrak and I *think* TC full off.

CTS-BV
01-14-07, 11:21 PM
Competition mode is NOT full off - in 'vettes or the V. You can engage full off but that is not competition mode, which is instead higher limits for Stabilitrak and I *think* TC full off.

On the C5's (1997-2004) there are three modes (as I understand them):
1. Full Traction and Stability mode (no buttons pressed)
2. Traction Control Off (one momentary press of the TC button)
3. Competition Mode (for those that have it) TC OFF and Stability Off as TC button is pressed and held up to 10 seconds steady.

I've driven Vettes (many) since 1999 and I can tell you that in Comp Mode there seems to be no impedence to driving from either the Traction Control functions nor the Stability Control functions. In this mode the driver is free to spin the rear tires at will for as long as he likes without any warning or engagement of....anything in his way.

On the V, there seems to be no way to get free from these constaints 100%.

Others?

CTS-BV

HiTechRV
01-14-07, 11:36 PM
On my 2004 C5 I think I could turn every thing off. With Comp mode (hidden easter egg - 6 seconds holding the TC button down) it would engage the Stabilitrak with high limits. At the track I'd have to get about 45 degrees sideways before Stabilitrak would gently engage on the slaloms with my automatic. If you were a better driver at the track than I was you'd never know it was there ;-) But it would keep you from a 360 spin.

CTS-BV
01-14-07, 11:43 PM
On my 2004 C5 I think I could turn every thing off. With Comp mode (hidden easter egg - 6 seconds holding the TC button down) it would engage the Stabilitrak with high limits. At the track I'd have to get about 45 degrees sideways before Stabilitrak would gently engage on the slaloms with my automatic. If you were a better driver at the track than I was you'd never know it was there ;-) But it would keep you from a 360 spin.

I'm a part time tuner (that's where I have access to driving a lot of Vettes) and I'd have to say that in high Hp, supercharged auto's or manuals, (Competition Mode) I really can't remember feeling an intrusive control of any kind. I guess we'll have to look this up to be sure.

I track my V in parkng lot events and high speed auto cross, as well as some "spirited driving" occasionally in the local industrial parks near my house. I have just become accustomed to going into Comp Mode as I'm waiting for the car to warm up every time. Except when it's raining.

Bottom line, though, is that Stability Control is so intrusive on the V that I can't tell the difference between TC off and Competition Mode on. Barely, anyway.

CTS-BV

ctsvflorida
01-14-07, 11:45 PM
Bottom line, does your car do what my car is doing or are you trying to drift or do donuts in the parking lot?

HiTechRV
01-14-07, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure what your car is doing - what is spinning a tire "off the rim" or "lay down"? It does seem like my TC is only on when it says so on the NAV screen in giant letters. When I turn off TC it seems to stay off, but I am not side stepping the clutch or doing any severe manuvers.

CTS-BV
01-15-07, 12:13 AM
When everything is on (no TC light in the dash), press and hold the TC button on the steering wheel until your Nav screen says "Stability system disabled".

Please be careful when doing this, or you risk joining the ranks of crashed Vs. This car can get out of hand real quick without Stablilitrak watching over you.

I didn't see this post before. I am going to try this tomorrow.

Thanks.

CTS-BV

TrazzNJ
01-15-07, 11:26 AM
CTSVFlorida, sounds like we are on the same page. I have tons of quarter mile passes in very fast stuff and I(sounds like you too) can tell when a can feels like it Lays down. For those who don't know what this means, sorry, its a racing phrase. I do the button trick and go into comp mode and it still won't kill the tires???(I understood spinning them off the rim) I think it has to do with the T/C is not able to be turned off, just turned down from the cockpit(drivers seat) I think you can shut it way off with LS1edit or EFI live but I am not a tuner(yet)
If anyone else has suggestions , I'm all ears!! It sucks have 400hp and being able to use 250 of it!!

ctsvflorida
01-15-07, 01:11 PM
So TRAZZ your car pretty much does what mine does? I have a tune and tried to fix it thru that to no avail!

Tags63
01-15-07, 01:15 PM
Hey!!! I relate to all the posts here but I have one question. What is the difference between the button on the steering wheel & the yellow one in the glove box??

Thanks,
Paul:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ctsvflorida
01-15-07, 01:17 PM
Also, I was first told that it was torque management and I still believe that it is T/M more than the T/C but I am just baffled at this point and will wait until I get it tuned with a dyno when I do the other mods. For now I'll just deal with it as I have for over a year already!

ctsvflorida
01-15-07, 01:20 PM
Hey!!! I relate to all the posts here but I have one question. What is the difference between the button on the steering wheel & the yellow one in the glove box??

Thanks,

The yellow one in glovebox opens the trunk! :histeric: I had to write that!

Seriously good question though! I am actually going to my garage to look at that button that I never even knew was there! Jokes on me now!

edit: Mine in black but very interesting!

Now I say...YEAH...what he said!

Tags: ur Linden right?

stkshkr
01-15-07, 02:03 PM
With the TC off, I could spin the wheels in a burnout till there was no rubber left. On hard launches I use the Comp mode which desensitizes the Stabilitrac or it would sometimes activate the Stabilitrac.

ctsvflorida
01-15-07, 02:34 PM
With the TC off, I could spin the wheels in a burnout till there was no rubber left. On hard launches I use the Comp mode which desensitizes the Stabilitrac or it would sometimes activate the Stabilitrac.

Maybe my stabilitrak just always works and it won't shut off! I really have no idea!

C'mon, someone chime in on the T/C button in the glovebox! What's it there for? Where are you Tony?

V-Smooth
01-15-07, 02:47 PM
The way I understand it...is that the TC button located in the glovebox truns everything off. Use the steering controls to activate comp mode, etc...

urbanski
01-15-07, 03:28 PM
the glovebox one activates the cloaking shield and is quite useful if ninjas are chasing you

The Tony Show
01-15-07, 06:03 PM
The one in the glovebox is the result of parts sharing between CTS and CTS-V, as that's the only TC button on a CTS. It performs the exact same functions as the steering wheel mounted switch, so it doesn't matter which one you use, just how many times you tap it, or how long you hold it.

Someone made the comment earlier (I'm too lazy to look and see who) that there is no way to be 100% free of computer assistance in this car, and I just wanted to reiterate that yes, there is. When you first start the car and all the nannies are on (no orange TC light on the dash), press and hold the TC button until the NAV screen displays "Stability system disabled". You can now do smoky donuts in the parking lot while bouncing off the rev limiter and nothing will stop you until your rear diff shatters.

TrazzNJ
01-15-07, 08:38 PM
the glovebox one activates the cloaking shield and is quite useful if ninjas are chasing you

That is very funny shit !!! LMFAO

TrazzNJ
01-15-07, 08:43 PM
Someone made the comment earlier (I'm too lazy to look and see who) that there is no way to be 100% free of computer assistance in this car, and I just wanted to reiterate that yes, there is. When you first start the car and all the nannies are on (no orange TC light on the dash), press and hold the TC button until the NAV screen displays "Stability system disabled". You can now do smoky donuts in the parking lot while bouncing off the rev limiter and nothing will stop you until your rear diff shatters.[/QUOTE]

Tony...Does it turn of torque mngmnt too?? My guess is no. I am going to the garage to hold the button. Just to be clear, we are not talking about the " competetive Driving" mode right? I'm goin now...I'm gonna do a burnout right in the garage!! :dammit:

ctsvflorida
01-15-07, 08:55 PM
I know Tony is right but I did check it and it does the same thing as the steering wheel button. One question for Tony, or anyone else, you say to hold it from the start but I usually press it once then twice, to when it says competetive mode and then hold it and it goes to stab syst off. I am sure it is the same thing but just checking, is it the same?

Tags63
01-16-07, 11:21 AM
Hey!!

Yep, after checking htings out for myself. Some regular CTS's don't have the steering wheels controls so they put it in the glovebox for all and as far as the way the buttons work. 1 tap. 2 tap and hold for 3 sec.

The Tony Show
01-16-07, 07:31 PM
I don't believe that holding the second "tap" will shut everything off- the way it is "supposed" to be done (according to my literature) is to press and hold the TC button for 5 seconds while everything is on. Tapping once will disable traction, twice = comp driving mode, pressing and holding on the first tap = everything off. Unless you get a message on the screen that says "stability system disabled" along with a picture of the drivetrain, it's still on.

Trazz: No, it does not turn off torque mgmt. That must be done through the PCM with a handheld tuner.

CTS-BV
01-16-07, 08:18 PM
I don't believe that holding the second "tap" will shut everything off- the way it is "supposed" to be done (according to my literature) is to press and hold the TC button for 5 seconds while everything is on. Tapping once will disable traction, twice = comp driving mode, pressing and holding on the first tap = everything off. Unless you get a message on the screen that says "stability system disabled" along with a picture of the drivetrain, it's still on.

Trazz: No, it does not turn off torque mgmt. That must be done through the PCM with a handheld tuner.

Holding the steering wheel TC button for 5 seconds DOES turn everything off. I had a blast last weekend, free and unobstructed! Now if I could fix that wheel hop!:eek: I am not sure if the button in the glove box does the same.

As for Tq Management, you need a tune via software or a hand held programmer.

CTS-BV

The Tony Show
01-16-07, 08:30 PM
Yes, that's what I've been saying.

:thumbsup:

ctsvflorida
01-16-07, 08:38 PM
Well, then here's a question for all of you non stealth tuned and all stealth tuned! Can you tell that your torque management is kicking in at any point ever? When I shift hard, that's when I believe it is the torque management and not the the T/C! Please give me all the feedback possible! Thanks.

CTS-BV
01-16-07, 08:42 PM
Well, then here's a question for all of you non stealth tuned and all stealth tuned! Can you tell that your torque management is kicking in at any point ever? When I shift hard, that's when I believe it is the torque management and not the the T/C! Please give me all the feedback possible! Thanks.

I tuned mine, myself, immediately after having purchased it so I don't know what a V is like with full Tq Mgt activated.

I know Vettes with stock tuning peter out on power by 3rd gear sometimes when driven "spiritedly."

CTS-BV

TrazzNJ
01-16-07, 10:02 PM
Tony...Thanks for the info. I didn't do a burnout in my garage last night but I am going to try the 1st tap 5 seconds deal tomorrow. I'm sure you right as I just got my V and I am still learning. I figured that the T/M couldn't be turned off from the steering wheel and I do know it can with any of the tuners that are avialable for the LS cars.
I appriciate the help from you and CTSVFlorida and anyone else that chimed in. This is a great forum. One more thing, Urbanski....When do I use the Cloaking Shields???

C66 Racing
01-16-07, 11:40 PM

Though I have no personal experience with tuning at all, I have monitored the topic closely on the Vette forums for years and raced my Z06 with stock PCM in all modes, and with a highly modified PCM (including revised torque management settings). In my opinion, torque management is not very well understood, even by most tuners and with T/C and AH off I too suspect that torque management is what is limiting power in the CTS-V.

TrazzNJ
01-17-07, 08:45 PM

Tony,

As I suspected, you are right. 5seconds on the steeringwheel button shuts it all off. It feels like a different car now!!! The F-N wheel hop is insane!!!! Do the kits that everyone talks about really work. I hear that they don't. I was told that Airbags for a GTO and adjustable shocks would work.
Opinions??I know its off topic and prbably in 100 threads somewhere but we are here now!!

Thanks !!

ctsvett
01-18-07, 01:30 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tcbutton.html

Reed

TrazzNJ
01-19-07, 04:17 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tcbutton.html

Reed

No Gray area there!!!

c5racr1
01-19-07, 10:42 PM
your problem is torque management not traction control. only way to turn of torque management is by hp tuners or ls1 edit. and you are correct torque management will make it seem like it is laying down because it pulls the timing.

ctsvflorida
01-20-07, 09:27 AM
your problem is torque management not traction control. only way to turn of torque management is by hp tuners or ls1 edit. and you are correct torque management will make it seem like it is laying down because it pulls the timing.

Has stealth tune by Rick and he pulls TM out supposedly! Keep in mind that it lays down completely, like T/C is kicking in. If it pulled out torque wouldn't it just lay down a little? I really need someone to go for a ride and feel it. When I dyno tune I will take Jeremy for a ride! Jeremy Formato. I was supposed to do it yesterday but other guys couldn't make it so I figured to wait for them and yesterday wasn't great for me either.

CTS-BV
03-11-08, 12:14 AM
If not eliminated, you'll see Tq Mgt present on the dyno.

However, this thread is about Traction Control so who has answers about that? I've spoken to Reed, and the FAQ is wrong as far as I'm concerned. Pressing the Traction button and holding it to get to Stabilitrac Off doesn't completely eliminate it all. At least not on my V. So what gives?

CTSV_Rob
03-11-08, 12:19 AM
Have you had you navigation unit replaced? If so it's probably programmed as a CTS NOT a V.

BacDoc
05-29-08, 11:14 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread....but going through the modes the only indication I get on screen is when I hold down the traction control for 5 secs....it states Stability Off. Does it even say Traction Off or Competition Mode on .... ???

CTS-BV
05-29-08, 11:47 AM
Traction off is denoted on your cluster between the speedo and tach. You'll see a TC logo anytime you push the TC button located on the steering wheel.

Press it once and TC is off only.

Press it twice within 5 seconds and you'll have TC and Stabilitrack is decreased (IMHO)

Pres and hold it for about 9 seconds and TC is off and Stabilitrack is further decreased. On the screen it will say " Competition Mode " and show a driveline cartoon.

Everyone's right. Turning it all off does make the car get loose.....:canttalk:

BacDoc
05-29-08, 11:54 AM
Traction off is denoted on your cluster between the speedo and tach. You'll see a TC logo anytime you push the TC button located on the steering wheel.

Press it once and TC is off only.

Press it twice within 5 seconds and you'll have TC and Stabilitrack is decreased (IMHO)

Pres and hold it for about 9 seconds and TC is off and Stabilitrack is further decreased. On the screen it will say " Competition Mode " and show a driveline cartoon.

Everyone's right. Turning it all off does make the car get loose.....:canttalk:

Press and hold for 9 secs.....what if Competition Mode doesn't come up on the screen? Because I'm pretty sure it only says Stability OFF no matter how long I how it down. I've never seen "Competition Mode".

CTS-BV
05-29-08, 12:06 PM
Hmmm, that would be weird. Can you check with your dealer? I had my Stabiltrack serviced twice under warranty because I was getting goofy performance and readings.

In fact one day I was driving straight at 50 mph down a smooth street and Stabilitrack kicked in for a fraction of a second, yanking my wheel to the left pretty violently and then released. I saw "Service Stabilitrack" on my screen for 0.1 sec and it all went back to normal -- very weird stuff...scary too.

Maybe you are in line for that as well?:suspense:

CTSV_510
05-29-08, 12:13 PM
I have asked the question before about not getting the "Comp Mode" message on the DIC, but no one answers either because they don't know or it is a dumb question. If your nav isn't programmed for a CTS-V, doesn't the car still enter Comp Mode after a double-click of the T/C button even though the "Comp Mode" message doesn't appear? I wouldn't think that the traction and stability systems are controlled by the DIC, only the messages, right?

BacDoc
05-29-08, 12:20 PM
I guess I'll add it to my list of check ups when I go to the dealer.

Twitch
05-29-08, 12:29 PM
Push the T/C button once = Traction control off
Push a second time within 5 sec = competitive mode
With everything on (you didn't push T/C button at all) hold down button at least 5 sec = stability off

If your nav is not programed for a V, I don't know if competitive mode still works.

Tony

trukk
05-29-08, 12:48 PM
I have asked the question before about not getting the "Comp Mode" message on the DIC, but no one answers either because they don't know or it is a dumb question. If your nav isn't programmed for a CTS-V, doesn't the car still enter Comp Mode after a double-click of the T/C button even though the "Comp Mode" message doesn't appear? I wouldn't think that the traction and stability systems are controlled by the DIC, only the messages, right?
If the comp mode message doesn't come up after pressing TC twice in 5 seconds, either your Nav doesn;t know it's in a cts-v (take to dealer to get programmed), or your Tire Pressure Sensors are starting to flake out, and it won't let you go into comp mode.

I have had some instances where the comp mode message takes several or more seconds to come up, sometimes as long as twenty seconds. For the most part if you hit the TC button twice in 5 seconds, and the yellow TC light stays on in the dash, then you are in comp mode. If it turns on on the first push, then off in the next, you are not in comp mode.

Hope this helps,

Chris

CTS-BV
05-29-08, 06:08 PM
That's right! I forgot about the tire P sensors. But if they're screwed up, you won't get past a simple TC off.

My question is: How does one come across a NAV unit that's programmed for anything BUT a CTS-V?? Do you guys swap them out or something?:bonkers:

I don't get it.:thepan:

CTSV_510
05-29-08, 06:15 PM
That's right! I forgot about the tire P sensors. But if they're screwed up, you won't get past a simple TC off.

My question is: How does one come across a NAV unit that's programmed for anything BUT a CTS-V?? Do you guys swap them out or something?:bonkers:

I don't get it.:thepan:

I had my nav replaced because of cd static and peeling buttons. The new navs are generic for both regular CTS's and the CTS-V. The extra V features like Comp Mode need additional tech2 programming to function.

I'm stopping by the dealer tomorrow to have mine fixed. My service advisor said he wasn't sure exactly how long it would take him, but he'd make sure there were some fresh donuts and coffee for me. :D

Bueller
05-29-08, 08:40 PM
I can flat punch it in first and get 3-5 rotations of tire spin and then hit second hard at 6000 rpm's, when it may get a 1/4 of a tire spin and then the rpm's lay down, like the T/C is kicking in and then go again! It will repeat this everytime I shift hard till 5th where there is no biting to the pavement because of no tire spin.

Mine does this too if I am at a stand still and lighting the tires in first and then shifting into second without moving down the road much. Once it spins a few times the tires hook and then the rpms drop way down because I am moving slow for that gear.

My car is basically stock (catback, intake) and it doesn't have the power to keep them spinning all the way through second without power braking. Is this what you mean? If so it's just plain traction not T/C. I only get a Stability Engaged warning when sideways in Comp mode.

atdeneve
05-30-08, 10:38 AM
Push the T/C button once = Traction control off
Push a second time within 5 sec = competitive mode
With everything on (you didn't push T/C button at all) hold down button at least 5 sec = stability off

If your nav is not programed for a V, I don't know if competitive mode still works.

Tony

Just a note. You can enter Stability Off Mode at any point by holding the TC button for a bit, regardless of whether you have TC/Competition Mode off or on. You don't have to necessarily cycle back to Traction Control on / Competition Mode off.

BacDoc
05-30-08, 03:06 PM
My car goes in Tuesday. :/

CTSV_510
05-30-08, 04:00 PM
Just a note. You can enter Stability Off Mode at any point by holding the TC button for a bit, regardless of whether you have TC/Competition Mode off or on. You don't have to necessarily cycle back to Traction Control on / Competition Mode off.

That doesn't work, I just tried. When you're in Comp Mode, as soon as your press the T/C button in, T/C goes back on and even if you hold it, it doesn't turn stability off.

I just got back from the dealer - it took them an hour to re-program my nav/radio because they've never seen it before (big surprise). They said they had to download something from the GM computer before they could update my system.

Works now!

Twitch
05-30-08, 04:15 PM
That doesn't work, I just tried. When you're in Comp Mode, as soon as your press the T/C button in, T/C goes back on and even if you hold it, it doesn't turn stability off.

I just got back from the dealer - it took them an hour to re-program my nav/radio because they've never seen it before (big surprise). They said they had to download something from the GM computer before they could update my system.

Works now!

HA...I knew I was right!:yup:

atdeneve
05-30-08, 04:22 PM
Yeah, my bad. Got my head up my ass, right now. It should work from Traction Control off, though.

BacDoc
05-30-08, 04:42 PM

Works now!

So it just deprograms itself at random? GM at it's finest.

Twitch
05-30-08, 04:59 PM
So it just deprograms itself at random? GM at it's finest.

No, when you change the nav unit, it comes set for a CTS. The dealer has to program it to the V settings. Just that most of them don't know that.

Tony

BacDoc
05-30-08, 05:05 PM
No, when you change the nav unit, it comes set for a CTS. The dealer has to program it to the V settings. Just that most of them don't know that.

Tony

You're saying my Nav was never programed right? Something has to randomly deprogram it.

Twitch
05-30-08, 05:11 PM
You're saying my Nav was never programed right? Something has to randomly deprogram it.

There's nothing random about it. The dealer has to do it with a Tech II.

BacDoc
05-30-08, 05:24 PM
There's nothing random about it. The dealer has to do it with a Tech II.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. My T/C unit for some random reason stopped working. I assume at one time it was programmed correctly to the V. Now it doesn't work....why....who knows.

CTSV_510
05-30-08, 05:27 PM

I don't think it can randomly de-program itself. Have you run your VIN in the vin check sticky to see the service history? Your radio must have been replaced if your Comp Mode isn't working, or your tire pressure sensors aren't working or your pressure is outside the "safe" zone.

Twitch
05-30-08, 05:29 PM
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. My T/C unit for some random reason stopped working. I assume at one time it was programmed correctly to the V. Now it doesn't work....why....who knows.

Oh, are you saying you don't have traction control at all? That's a whole different matter.
We were talking about the different modes of T/C, and how they display on the nav unit.
Hope your still under warranty.

PS Do all your tire presure moniters work?

Just remembered. Don't know if this is related, but on my Seville, a wheel speed sensor got loose, and I lost T/C, and I think anti-lock brakes. Hope this helps

CTSV_510
05-30-08, 05:30 PM

Do you even get the T/C light on your instrument panel to come on? If not, maybe it's your steering wheel button that is malfunctioning. Did you try the button in the glove compartment? Who knows, but your dealer should be able to figure it all out.

BacDoc
05-30-08, 05:30 PM
I don't think it can randomly de-program itself. Have you run your VIN in the vin check sticky to see the service history? Your radio must have been replaced if your Comp Mode isn't working, or your tire pressure sensors aren't working or your pressure is outside the "safe" zone.

NAv unit is factory from what I know. Buttons are peeling too. Tire sensors are working to my knowledge.

Dave_42
11-24-08, 09:13 PM
On my 1995 STS my readout says Traction disabled and the ABS light is on. Is there a way to fix this myself?

CtsVrod
11-24-08, 09:19 PM
Check out the STS forum - Sounds like you need to pay the dealer a visit though