: Need new tires

JDG
01-14-07, 05:58 PM
Got my V in April 06 and have 22K on it...so need new tires...badly. Anyone have any great ideas or just go with the original Pirelli's? Tire Rack recommended Yokohama ADV S4's and I'm wondering if anyone else is using them?

I live in the Midwest and the make runs from Chicago to Detroit each week - hence the high mileage - generally at 80 avg mph or above.

This is a great car. I used to run 5 series BMW's and this a lot more fun to drive and way less painful for long trips.

Any help appreciated.

caddyv8v
01-14-07, 07:42 PM
nice tires, but i was not aware that they had run flats. if not, seems kind of risky not having any spare/tools etc, but i bet it would have a better ride.

JDG
01-14-07, 10:31 PM
thanks...excellent point and one i hadn't considered. I'm going to talk to my tire guy tomorrow and see what he thinks. i may take the risk of not having the run flats....AAA is just a call away but they better have a flat bed. It seems like with OEM tires if I have a flat anywhere except a major metro with a good tire store nearby, i'm going to be hosed anyway. Same if I get the S4's. So I might as well have tires that will keep me on the road when i'm driving. The Pirelli's were ok but they broke too quickly for my taste and they were absolutely crap in anything wet. If I do get a flat, I guess I can kill time talking to OnStar while I wait -- prolly should put a DVD in the trunk to kill some time too.

caddyv8v
01-15-07, 06:51 AM
good luck with your selection. let us know the outcome.

Bartlett_2
01-15-07, 01:38 PM
I just replaced my rears at 20k on New Years weekend with the stock pirelli's. Suprisingly, the fronts were near perfect, but the rears had the nylon threads coming out of the rubber. I wanted to go with something else, but the fronts were in too good of shape to replace, so that's the only reason I stayed with the stock tires. Cost almost a grand.

caddyv8v
01-15-07, 08:49 PM
ouch, a grand for 2 rears. i gotta stop with the tire burning.

Bartlett_2
01-15-07, 10:21 PM
Yeah, they are NOT cheap.

JDG
01-16-07, 03:07 PM
The Pirelli's are expensive. The Yokohama ADVAN S.4's cost me $1,152 for a full set of 4. Unfortunately, I'm out of town until Saturday so the road test will have to wait. I'll let you guys know how they work out.

CadV
01-16-07, 03:37 PM
Unless the page I was looking at is incorrect the STS-V has...

P255/45R18 front
P275/40R19 rear

I used BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW NT on my CTS-V and they are a phenominal tire all around. They really shine in the rain and last a long time. They are not a run flat tire though.

I would drop the profile on the fronts and backs.

Go 255/40/18 fronts and 275/35/19 backs and get the dealer to change the pcm for you.

Here is some info on the tire.

Fronts (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=76039&rc=TFMINT&c=7&cf=false&cs=255&pc=38520&rd=18&ar=40&ct=&rf=true)
Backs (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=76039&rc=TFMINT&c=8&cf=false&cs=275&pc=38543&rd=19&ar=35&ct=&rf=true)

ssstealth
01-18-07, 08:36 PM
Go 255/40/18 fronts and 275/35/19 backs and get the dealer to change the pcm for you.

The STS-V does not require a PCM change for tire size. The re-calibration can be done with the NAV system using GPS data.

Check your manual... there is a procedure for calibrating new tires and the speedometer.

CadV
01-18-07, 08:55 PM
The STS-V does not require a PCM change for tire size. The re-calibration can be done with the NAV system using GPS data.

Check your manual... there is a procedure for calibrating new tires and the speedometer.

I don't have mine yet should get it tomorrow or Sat. But thanks for the heads up that is awesome.

JDG
01-20-07, 03:14 PM
Picked up the car today with the new tires...DEFINATELY stickier and no noticeable change in ride/noise but I haven't had them up to speed yet. Car seems more nimble but that may be only the effect of having had to drive a Toyota SUV to Detroit this week. More later...

JDG
01-22-07, 02:52 AM
Well...380 miles from Chicago to Detroit in bad weather on the new rubber and I have to say: Great ride, quieter and smoother than the Pirelli's, much better grip (wet and snow) and overall better control. Hearty endorsement of the Yokohama Advan S.4's

wesleyb200
03-01-07, 11:04 PM
I have 12,000 miles on my original tires and I have a thumping noise from the fronts. Has anyone gone to a non-runflat tire? I have used Good Year's F1's on my STV Cobra Mustang and they were great!-lasted over 25,000 miles. But, what about not having a spare tire? Does the "Fix a Flat" Kit work? Is it a major concern with On-Star and AAA? Tirerack.com has many reviews about runflat problems with noise and extra costs. What do you think about the exposure with non-runflats?

ssstealth
03-17-07, 08:34 AM
DO NOT put "Fix-A-Flat" in a tire with a pressure monitoring system! This may harm the sensor.

My Cadillac service advisor told me that he has seen people come in who have driven weeks on the run-flat tires and ZERO pressure and that the tires look fine. No tire shop is keen on the thought of repairing a run-flat tire though, even in the tread area.

JDG, How are the Yokohamas doing now that you have some miles on them. I hear some talk about them self destructing after 2000 miles and getting crazy loud.

Thanks, I'll bet a lot of us will be doing the tire thing soon on this board.

JDG
03-17-07, 09:24 AM
SSStealth,

Good advice on the Fix Flat stuff.

I've got 5,000 miles on the Yokohama's now. I've been very happy with them. I live in Chicago and drive back and forth to Detroit just about every week and they performed very well in the recent snow's in Feb/Mar. Much better than I expected. Good traction in all conditions; including one storm when I detoured off the interstate onto local roads with 3 inches of snow - bad move but the tires got me through and back to the interstate without getting stuck.

They don't seem to have any road noise or ride problems and the wear so far seems appropriate. So I have to say I'm satisfied.

What is interesting is that they are much stickier than the Pirelli's - particularly in the rears. Its quite a bit harder to get them to break free than the Pirelli's were which means that when they do, I'm typically carrying much more speed and much more torque. Has been a little scary in a few circumstances.

I'm happy with the set (and the price I paid versus the run flat Pirelli's) however and I would get another set when these wear out. I'm a little nervous about the lack of a spare/run-flat but life is full of little risks. Worst thing is that I'd have to rent a car while waiting for replacement tires.

ssstealth
03-17-07, 11:22 AM
My girlfriend noticed a flat on her 03 CTS when she got to work a few months ago. She hit the OnStar button and they came to her. When they found a nail in the sidewall, they took the whole thing with them, replaced the tire, and brought it back to her office and mounted it. Total downtime was less than 2 hours.

I would concede that the 17" Eagle RSA's are probably going to be found on more racks than the V tires, but it does appear that Cadillac will do what is needed to get you going quickly.

Interestingly enough, every Cadillac rep I have talked to about this tells me that the Pirelli's are junk. Hmmm.

Kadonny
03-18-07, 11:27 AM
My girlfriend noticed a flat on her 03 CTS when she got to work a few months ago. She hit the OnStar button and they came to her. When they found a nail in the sidewall, they took the whole thing with them, replaced the tire, and brought it back to her office and mounted it. Total downtime was less than 2 hours.

I would concede that the 17" Eagle RSA's are probably going to be found on more racks than the V tires, but it does appear that Cadillac will do what is needed to get you going quickly.

Interestingly enough, every Cadillac rep I have talked to about this tells me that the Pirelli's are junk. Hmmm.

I have no problem switching from the Pirellis, but I would rather stay run flat than not. That means finding an alternative in a run flat, if it is even made.

CadV
03-19-07, 12:15 PM
I have no problem switching from the Pirellis, but I would rather stay run flat than not. That means finding an alternative in a run flat, if it is even made.

I never could find a suitable replacement :( I carry a air compressor and I have a kit to plug holes. If I get something on the sidewall I will call onstar.

z06bigbird
03-30-07, 11:56 AM
The General tires on my Cutlass Ciera or Buick Century used to cost me $40 (14"). The problem is I was never able to locate a $300 or $400 tire for those cars. MSRP on the 96 car was about $16k fully loaded. Extremely reliable, very safe and comfortable. 0 to 60 in 4 to 5 (minutes).

Now, with the advances in auto technology, I get to spend $60k + for a car and almost as much for the tires. That is progress.

Ed

ssstealth
06-20-07, 07:15 AM
OK, now that I am closing in on 25,000 miles, I am in need of tires. Like most of you, I am completely disgusted with the Pirelli tires and want something different.

What are your experiences with the Yokohama Advan A4's and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's?

What others have been tried?

JDG
06-20-07, 08:49 AM
I have 11k on the ADVN S4's and have been very pleased with them. They were stable in the snow and wet of a Midwest winter and provide a great deal more stability in normal conditions than I ever had with the Pirelli's. I'm a pretty aggressive driver and I haven't broken the back end out in a long time - which was a common problem with the Pirelli's. You can get the back end to break free if you want - you just need to work at it - which is much safer. Tread wear has been good so far. I'm pretty certain that I'll get 20-25k+ out of them. Most of my miles are high speed highway. They aren't run-flats but they were a lot cheaper than the Pirelli's - I think I paid $1,100 for the set.

ssstealth
06-20-07, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the update JDG,

I have 25K on the Pirelli's right now and they are only an issue because of extremely UNEVEN wear. The rears are worn down the center even though the pressures are low in my opinion. They are set at the door specs. The front right is worn down on the outside only indicating an alignment problem. The dealer said it was within spec but they still went ahead and adjusted it to perfection.

Othan than that, it appears that there could easily be another 10-15K left in these things. I have Goodyear Eagle RSA's on my Fleetwood at 255 widths and they wear perfectly and go 50,000+ miles every time.

Has anybody tried the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's yet? There is some little part of me that thinks Yokahamas belong on Nissans. That is probably the same part that made me buy GM over BMW. :D

riche
06-20-07, 11:57 AM
I can tell you about my GS-D3`s. have them on my 93GT mustang. Great in water and dry roads, not worth crap on ice or packed snow, it`s a performance tire, side-walls are hard for road-coarse driving, not too good on drag-racing, side-walls will not flax as much as some folks want them to for drag-racing. My 2cents....riche

GM-4-LIFE
06-20-07, 12:27 PM
Pirelli tires have always been know to have ultra soft rubber and that causes them to wear out quicker. I have never liked Pirelli tires and have always enjoyed Michelins.

When my Pirelli tires wear out, I am going to look into getting Michelin Pilot PS2 tires all around. While they aren't a run-flat tire, they offer some of the best handling and ride quality I have ever experienced in a tire and I have had BFGs, Goodyears, Yokohamas, Bridgestones, Continentals and any other tire brand out there. The Michelins are pricey, but well worth every penny.

At 1600 miles, I did have a flat with one of the rear Pirelli tires and it drove fine with almost no air to a tire place where they charged me only $15.00 to patch it and send me on my way. The run-flats are a great convenience, but that was my second flat tire in my entire life so I would go with a non run-flat tire not only because it's cheaper, but because the ride quality is much better and the handling is just amazing.

My advice would be to look into getting the Michelin Pilot PS2 tires. You will be glad you did!

SG

ssstealth
06-20-07, 04:57 PM
I was actually looking at the Michelin Pilot Primacy but quickly got concerned. Both Tirerack.com and Michelin.com show that the tire is available in sizes that match the V. Both sites also do NOT show the tire as being a valid selection for the V. huh?

I would love to have some Michelins for it. I ran a set of XH4's on my Fleetwood for 126,000 miles. Of course they quickly discontinued that tire.

GM-4-LIFE
06-20-07, 05:12 PM
I was actually looking at the Michelin Pilot Primacy but quickly got concerned. Both Tirerack.com and Michelin.com show that the tire is available in sizes that match the V. Both sites also do NOT show the tire as being a valid selection for the V. huh?

I would love to have some Michelins for it. I ran a set of XH4's on my Fleetwood for 126,000 miles. Of course they quickly discontinued that tire.

It doesn't matter what they show being valid or not for the STS-V. Get the same exact tire size as the stock Pirelli tires and you will be fine. Go Michelin and enjoy!

SG

SRT8/BMW
06-22-07, 11:09 PM
I highly recommend the Toyo Proxes t1r.

I ran them as a replacement on my srt8, and now on my highly modded C. I like them so much more than these pirellis on my V.

They hold the road great, are good in rain, and will lay rubber when asked. Overall great tire..

The only thing I noticed is that you may have to change the profile from a 275-40-19 in the back to a 275-35-19, which should be no big deal and would not even require a change to the speed calibration.

http://www.tiredeals4less.com/TOYO_Proxes_T1R_255_45ZR18_99Y_P1886.cfm

Lifer
06-23-07, 02:58 PM

I have reviewed my owners manual (I RTFM!) and can not find reference to your comment.

I did find this cool comment in my manual, although I have 18", NOT 17" : Vehicles equipped with performance tires
P235/50R17 95V (front axle) and P255/45R17 98V (rear
axle) are mounted on wheels with different rim widths.
The front axle tires are mounted on rims 7.5 inches
(19.05 cm) wide and the rear axle tires require wheels
with a minimum rim width of 8 inches (20.32 cm).
The original equipment wheels designed for
P255/45R17 98V size tires are etched with the words
REAR ONLY. When replacing P255/45R17 98V
size tires have them mounted on wheels with a minimum
width of 8 inches (20.32 cm) and marked REAR
ONLY.

Please advise where in the manual I can find re-calibration can be done with the NAV system using GPS data.

RedGalant2k1
06-23-07, 08:43 PM
I would recommend against lowering the profile too much. ESPECIALLY if you decide on going with a non-runflat at the risk of your wheels.

Stay with the original size or run a 265/40-18 front and 285/35-19 rear.

ssstealth
06-26-07, 08:40 PM
I have reviewed my owners manual (I RTFM!) and can not find reference to your comment.

Please advise where in the manual I can find re-calibration can be done with the NAV system using GPS data.

Page 2-61 and 2-62 of the Navigation Manual

LITTLEELVISDAN
06-27-07, 10:38 AM
I had Goodyear F-1's on my S2000 and they were crap for the price.
I also had Yoko's and those were OK.
I also had a set of Pirelli P0' marshmellows and hated them.
I also had a set of Bridgestone S03 Pole Position's and those were good.
I also had a set of Kuhmo ESTCA's. 1/2 the price of everything else and had no traction after 2k and were loud. (you get what you pay for)
I had BFG KDW II's and really liked those.
BUT the best performance tire I ever put on was my set of Toyo T1-R's. great in wet and dry and were the same price as the F-1's.
BTW a S2000 goes through a set of rears every 10k and a set of fronts 20k, so I went through a lot of tires in 80k of owning it. SO I
am glad to see people are getting 25k out of a set of tires on the V.

VelocitySTSV
06-29-07, 07:56 PM
So did anyone ever come up with another brand of run flat tires that compare to the Pirelli's?

RedGalant2k1
07-07-07, 09:47 PM
So did anyone ever come up with another brand of run flat tires that compare to the Pirelli's?

There is a 255/45-18 and 285/35-19 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 EMT/RunOnFlat tire combo you can use.

z06bigbird
07-08-07, 10:42 PM
Forget the donut in the trunk. If you need towing, truck will take 3 hrs on a good day.

I buy a real spare for every car that I own. Just bought a polished 17 on ebay for $52 plus $20 shipping. Like new. Plus a tire.

I don't leave home without a FULL SIZE SPARE. (and a short hydraulic jack and two pieces of 2 X 4 for chocks.) Check your local housing construction sites.

RedGalant2k1
07-09-07, 08:39 PM
Forget the donut in the trunk. If you need towing, truck will take 3 hrs on a good day.

I buy a real spare for every car that I own. Just bought a polished 17 on ebay for $52 plus $20 shipping. Like new. Plus a tire.

I don't leave home without a FULL SIZE SPARE. (and a short hydraulic jack and two pieces of 2 X 4 for chocks.) Check your local housing construction sites.

No 17" wheel will fit a STSV.

BMBSALES
10-23-07, 07:21 PM

i'm PRETTY sure this is inaccurate, as the car has two speed feeds...one to the nav, and one directly to speedo. they are two separate circuits, and i don't think you can calibrate your speedo in this manner, but rather only by programming pcm. this just recalibrates speed/distance of nav.

TC-STS-V
11-01-07, 12:11 PM
I too am looking into replacements on my 06 STS-V. 16k since 2/06 and it looks like they will need to go sometime this winter. The Pirellis are downright dangerous in snow. I usually park the V at any sign of snow and drive a 4x4 but I got caught in a 1/2" dusting last year and almost hit a pole making a left turn at an intersection at about 20-25 mph. The wheel said left but the car went straight. Its a terrible feeling sliding toward a pole so slow you can almost get out of the car but you just cant stop it. It was just a dusting but I couldn't put power down at all. It scared the s*** out of me just limping it to my office. To humor my employees I has doing snow donuts just off idle.

I was looking to see what tire people have the best luck with in dry and rain (I do drive it in the rain) snow is not a concern. I have had Michelin's on cars and they rode like Fred Flintstones tires, had Yoko on a V10 ram and they were sticky in the rain even with no weight in the box.

I can wait till spring since I don't do much winter driving with the V but now is the time to do my homework.

Thanks,
Tom

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-01-07, 02:17 PM
I think most people settled on the Eagle F-1's. I will probably switch to them on my next set unless another tire maker comes out with a set in our sizes.

Curious George
11-01-07, 03:50 PM
DO NOT put "Fix-A-Flat" in a tire with a pressure monitoring system! This may harm the sensor....
One more thing about "Fix-A-Flat" and other such "Instant Mobility Kits": use it and lose the tire. The sealing goop alters the chemistry of the tire's inner lining so that patches won't stick. My previous daily driver was a Mazda RX-8 which, when I bought mine in 2003, came standard with an Instant Mobility Kit (goop, air pump, and fittings), and no spare. After reading the 17-page procedure in the owner's manual (some "instant", huh?) I encountered a bold-faced warning to the effect that a re-inflated tire would be rendered unrepairable and would have to be replaced. My local tire store confirmed the sad truth.

The Mazda's OE tires were $225 + tax and tip each, so I pointed out to the Mazda "customer care" folks that their Instant Mobility Kit effectively upped the cost of repairing a puncture by $200. They sent me a $250 coupon toward the dealer-installed price of the optional spare tire.

JDG
11-03-07, 03:55 PM
On my second set of Yoko's - ADVAN S4's. I replaced them after about 22K miles; a little early but winter is coming on. Probably could have gotten 27K out of them. I'm happy with them in the rain and light snow. I put around 700 miles a week on them in high speed highway use and have never felt uncomfrortable in any reasonable set of conditions. An STS-V will never be an SUV but the previous poster was right - the Pirelli's are a hazard. They really shouldn't be OEM equipment for this car.

NC STS-V
11-03-07, 10:59 PM
I don't have any complaints about the Pirelli's. I have about 6k miles, and by now I had already replaced the stock Goodyear F1 EMT's that were OEM on the CTS-V!

I don't have to worry about snow, but I have found the Pirelli's to be capable in rain and a very good dry tire. I had the car on the track recently and was very impressed with cornering on the Pirelli's. My only complaint was that they are loud! They squeal way before they have reached their limit. I had a number of people comment on how well the V handled at VIR despite the tires howling!

On the CTS-V I replaced the F1 EMT's with GSD3's. They were a good set of tires and they lasted much longer than the F1's, but they didn't provide the same level of dry traction.

When it is time for me to do tires I will seriously consider the OEM Pirelli's unless someone has found a tire with equivalent dry traction.

Ron

BMBSALES
11-04-07, 08:40 PM
One more thing about "Fix-A-Flat" and other such "Instant Mobility Kits": use it and lose the tire. The sealing goop alters the chemistry of the tire's inner lining so that patches won't stick. My previous daily driver was a Mazda RX-8 which, when I bought mine in 2003, came standard with an Instant Mobility Kit (goop, air pump, and fittings), and no spare. After reading the 17-page procedure in the owner's manual (some "instant", huh?) I encountered a bold-faced warning to the effect that a re-inflated tire would be rendered unrepairable and would have to be replaced. My local tire store confirmed the sad truth.

i really think that stranded with a flat, this is the least of your problems. i've never had a problem using fix a flat, with the tire afterwards. nor would i worry about a sensor that is replaceable. i carry a can in all my vehicles.

Kadonny
11-05-07, 01:00 PM
I don't have any complaints about the Pirelli's. I have about 6k miles, and by now I had already replaced the stock Goodyear F1 EMT's that were OEM on the CTS-V!

I don't have to worry about snow, but I have found the Pirelli's to be capable in rain and a very good dry tire. I had the car on the track recently and was very impressed with cornering on the Pirelli's. My only complaint was that they are loud! They squeal way before they have reached their limit. I had a number of people comment on how well the V handled at VIR despite the tires howling!

On the CTS-V I replaced the F1 EMT's with GSD3's. They were a good set of tires and they lasted much longer than the F1's, but they didn't provide the same level of dry traction.

When it is time for me to do tires I will seriously consider the OEM Pirelli's unless someone has found a tire with equivalent dry traction.

Ron

Ron, the GSD3s provide more dry and wet traction than the stock Pirellis on the STS-V, no questions asked.

And nothing will equal the F1 supercar EMTs traction, those tires have no equivalent.

NC STS-V
11-05-07, 08:36 PM
Ron, the GSD3s provide more dry and wet traction than the stock Pirellis on the STS-V, no questions asked.

And nothing will equal the F1 supercar EMTs traction, those tires have no equivalent.

Thanks Kadonny, I'll keep that in mind when it's time for tires - hopefully not too soon!

How long did your Pirellis last on your V?

Kadonny
11-06-07, 08:56 AM
You are welcome, they really are far superior.

My Pirellis only lasted 8000 miles. Rears were down to wear bars, the edges were worn pretty badly on the fronts.

I don't know if it was how I drove or what, but those tires should have lasted more than 8k. I can honestly say I wasn't doing smokey burnouts or anthing, if I had I could have understood why they wore, but I drive the car like it's meant to be driven, no more.

fmunger
11-06-07, 10:04 AM
Got my V in April 06 and have 22K on it...so need new tires...badly. Anyone have any great ideas or just go with the original Pirelli's? Tire Rack recommended Yokohama ADV S4's and I'm wondering if anyone else is using them?

I live in the Midwest and the make runs from Chicago to Detroit each week - hence the high mileage - generally at 80 avg mph or above.

This is a great car. I used to run 5 series BMW's and this a lot more fun to drive and way less painful for long trips.

Any help appreciated.I have an 06 also, 19K on it at this time.I replaced the Pirelli's at about 10K with GoodYear Eagle F1GS-D3'S,great handling tire and good looking tire.I exchanged the Pirelli's because of road noise not wear.The noise came back at about 3K on F1's so I'm looking at a new Goodyear tire, quote high performance all season,called Eagle F1 All Season,makes since.I'm looking to replace GS series for two reasons, road noise and I live upstate NY.We have more than our share of snow.I do not have an issue with the GS tires as far as wear, almost 10K on them and looks like I could get another 10K, at least.When your wife complains of road noise you know it's bad,anyone knows of a tire that will allow you to hear the radio at normal levels let me know.I hope maybe this new GoodYear tire. I'll probably order tires this week ,like to do just fronts.Good Year dealer claims rears not the issue, front tires are causing the noise.Most cases dealers claim you need to do all four or you create other probablems?Good luck,Fran

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-07-07, 11:10 PM
I have 16k on my front stockers and what a shitty day I had because of them. Let's start out by me stating "I HATE THE PIRELLI RUN FLATS. THEY ARE JUNK AND SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE MARKET, AND ESPECIALLY OUR CARS. GET THEM OFF YOURS WHILE YOU CAN"... Now for the story behind my rant. first the rear got a nail and the run flats can't be repaired so there went that set at only 7k miles. (replaced with Mich primacy's). Then today going down the road on a cool 60 deg day, I hear a flipity flap in the wheel well. I pull over to see what was wrapped around my tire and I find that the in-side tread blocks have peeled off. It looked like the damn thing was a retread coming apart. I am not even close to the wear bars, maybe more than half tread left. The rest of the tire looked good except for the 2 foot long string of rubber about an inch wide hanging off and the metal cords showing. I cut off the strip of rubber and drove to Butler tire. NO Warenty credit and no excessive wear eiter, just the tire coming apart. So a new set of MIch pilot sports on the front went on. I did find out Toyo T-1R's come in our stock sizes front and rear. By far the best you could put on. Problem is I couldn't wait to get them in so until the Mich.'s wear out I will be ordering a set of T-1R's for that dreded day I loose another tire...
PIRELLI'S SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

thefred
11-19-07, 09:29 AM
Well, I guess its my turn now. I was checking my fronts and they are rather worn on the outsides. The rears look fine. Since it has been a bit chilly here over the last couple of weeks, I can see that these are not good cold weather tires. I guess i have two options. I can get a new pair for the fronts or get 4 new. If I get new fronts, I'm guessing I would just get the Pirellis so they would match. But, if I get 4 new, it seems that there is a wide range of opinions. It looks like the majority like the GSD3s, but supposedly it is a "summer" tire also. I'm not worried about snow because I won't drive the V in the snow, but since we get some cold weather in the mornings here, I want to make sure I'm not going to have the same problem I have with the Pirellis. Any thoughts on the GSD3s vs. other tires on the cold weather issue?

LITTLEELVISDAN
11-19-07, 09:37 AM
The only performance matching sets I know of are GSD3's and Toyo T-1R's. Tread p[attern on both of those are similar but the T-1R has bigger tread blocks on the outer sides of the tread giving better cornering and wear. Both are listed a summer ultra high performance but I have had the T-1R's in the winter and had no problem. Keep in mind any tire is hard and slicker under 40 deg. than they are at say 70 or 80 deg. I have Micheline PS2 sport marshmellows and still break them loose with ease on a cold day.

Kadonny
11-19-07, 01:41 PM
Well, I guess its my turn now. I was checking my fronts and they are rather worn on the outsides. The rears look fine. Since it has been a bit chilly here over the last couple of weeks, I can see that these are not good cold weather tires. I guess i have two options. I can get a new pair for the fronts or get 4 new. If I get new fronts, I'm guessing I would just get the Pirellis so they would match. But, if I get 4 new, it seems that there is a wide range of opinions. It looks like the majority like the GSD3s, but supposedly it is a "summer" tire also. I'm not worried about snow because I won't drive the V in the snow, but since we get some cold weather in the mornings here, I want to make sure I'm not going to have the same problem I have with the Pirellis. Any thoughts on the GSD3s vs. other tires on the cold weather issue?

Fred, living in Atlanta you should have no problems with the GSD3s. I'm up in PA and we are seeing 40's even some high 30's right now and the tires still run fine. I can definitely feel them want to break loose a little easier on dead stop acceleration, but cornering even in the cold they feel just fine. Believe me, I don't push the car near what I do in the summer, but I'm not doing 15 mph either.

I plan on running my car in the winter if there is not any precip. I don't have a problem running the GSD3s.

thefred
12-15-07, 04:49 PM
OK. So I finally decided to go with the GSD3s. Next problem. I can't find them anywhere!!??!! Anyone have any idea what is going on or where to get them (preferably local to ATL)?

z06bigbird
12-16-07, 12:27 AM
I buy a spare rim for every car that I own. I just bought Goodyear Eagle F 1s, all season. Son has car for new few weeks, and no snow down here, but they are highly rated for snow. $162 each. Also great in wet weather.

We will see.

(By the way, a real rim (ebay) and extra tire (almost anywhere) is less expensive than a donut at dealer).

CIWS
12-16-07, 08:28 AM
I buy a spare rim for every car that I own.

You what would you do in the case of our cars that use a 19" rear wheel and an 18" front wheel ? Carry two spare wheels ?

BTW I like the F1 All Season tires for the time I had them on the CTSV, but now I'm left with one spare tire as I sold the spare rim it was on :)

BMBSALES
12-16-07, 08:34 AM
(By the way, a real rim (ebay) and extra tire (almost anywhere) is less expensive than a donut at dealer).

a lot heavier though, right

Kadonny
12-17-07, 04:03 PM
thefred, did you try tirerack? Worst case they can ship them to the dealer to mount.

thefred
12-17-07, 05:50 PM
thefred, did you try tirerack? Worst case they can ship them to the dealer to mount.
They are on backorder at Tire Rack. Most places said they couldn't get them and that the production is not set to start on them for another 6 weeks. Its probably related to the strike and the fact that they are considered summer tires. Kaufman Tire called me back today and said they can get them, but they won't have them until Wednesday. I think with road hazard and all its about $1250 for all 4. Does that sound about right?

Kadonny
12-18-07, 11:35 AM
Yup, that's about what I paid mounted and balanced. You'll love them.

bobs-sts-v
12-18-07, 02:24 PM
Price sounds about what I paid this summer. Great tire for summer weather here in Chicago. Running the Advan S4s for the winter.
Bob

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-19-07, 09:07 AM
Outside Diameter is only an inch and a half difference. why not get a spare 19 rim and mount a 265/30 series tire on it to split the difference. you could mount it on front or rear. It would get you out of a jam. not ideal for the long periods of time but will get you to the next tire store.

thefred
12-19-07, 07:10 PM
Outside Diameter is only an inch and a half difference. why not get a spare 19 rim and mount a 265/30 series tire on it to split the difference. you could mount it on front or rear. It would get you out of a jam. not ideal for the long periods of time but will get you to the next tire store.
Are you backing out on me? I thought you were going to come over, pick up my wheel, take it to get the tire fixed and bring it back??:)

But, honestly, where would I put it? That would pretty much take care of the trunk....there is no well is there?

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-19-07, 07:15 PM
not backing out. just giving up some suggestions to those that are squimesh about ditching runflats.

thefred
12-19-07, 09:21 PM
Actually, my GSD3s came in today but I didn't have time to go get them. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either. But, I'll probably get them on Friday. I guess that gives me two more day of good ole smokey burnouts!!!:burn::burn::burn:

z06bigbird
12-20-07, 12:11 AM
You what would you do in the case of our cars that use a 19" rear wheel and an 18" front wheel ? Carry two spare wheels ?

BTW I like the F1 All Season tires for the time I had them on the CTSV, but now I'm left with one spare tire as I sold the spare rim it was on :)

So far I have avoided cars with staggered rims. If you do not rotate, you will end up eating up tires. Tires get scalloped from lack of rotation.

z06bigbird
12-20-07, 12:21 AM
a lot heavier though, right

I am more concerned about my weight than that of the spare. And I am lying about my concern about my own weight.

Seriously, my concern is to have a good working spare when I need it, even if it takes up space in trunk. In regard to staggered wheels, I would likely swap out rims to make all the same size. I am not a speed fanatic. I buy cars that have extremely low miles (under 10k miles) on them. I maintain them well; I drive them for 10k to 15k miles; then a neighbor usually appears trying to buy one of my cars. I just sold my 97 (correct) SDV with 27k miles on it and my wife's 05 Lesabre with 19k miles on it. Neither buyer test drove the cars cause they looked and ran perfectly. Heck, I am so anal I fill up my gas tank almost every night. (Common practice if you fly airplanes--condensation in tank is not good.)

Florian
12-20-07, 09:11 AM
I fill up my gas tank almost every night. (Common practice if you fly airplanes--condensation in tank is not good.)

tru.dat (but at least you can remove the water in an airplanes tank a bunch easier than a autos tank.

F

CIWS
12-20-07, 08:31 PM
So far I have avoided cars with staggered rims. If you do not rotate, you will end up eating up tires. Tires get scalloped from lack of rotation.

Well that's the way it comes, and there's not a bundle of aftermarket wheels for it. Simply the nature of this beast. :)

thefred
12-20-07, 09:35 PM
Actually, my GSD3s came in today but I didn't have time to go get them. Tomorrow doesn't look too good either. But, I'll probably get them on Friday. I guess that gives me two more day of good ole smokey burnouts!!!:burn::burn::burn:
I'm not burning anything if it doesn't stop raining!!!!!! Only have until 1 pm tomorrow. I hate to take tires off that I can't see air thru!!!

LITTLEELVISDAN
12-20-07, 10:50 PM
the last 4 sets of tires went that way for me. I never got a chance to burn the last bit of tread off. I even went so far as to ask the tire store if I could go around back finish them off. They didn't care about the abuse of pavement but declined my request because they didn't want to work on hot rims and tires. I always say next time, and that time hasn't happened yet... :-) Maybe next time..

thefred
12-21-07, 04:34 PM
So the new shoes are on. I took a left out of the tire place and stability system engaged. I did goose it just a bit, but certainly not enought to cause that. It was dry and 52 degrees. I hope it was just some new tire slime or something. We'll see how they do over the next couple of days...

pjbizjak
12-22-07, 03:43 PM
Any one looking for hi performance tires check out www.highperformancetire.com

BMBSALES
12-23-07, 08:38 PM
But, honestly, where would I put it? That would pretty much take care of the trunk....there is no well is there?

there is a well

WillySTS
12-26-07, 10:57 AM
there is a well
The well has a very useful separator in it, which is removable, but don't forget you'll also need a jack and lug wrench.

I carry a small air compressor and have had to use it once already. I was glad I had it.

VelocitySTSV
01-10-08, 06:54 PM
Thankfull for the run flats...

Late last night, I hit a string of unexpected potholes that actually blew out both of the sidewalls of my left side tires.. I was entering an express way when it happend, I exited as quick as I could got out and was amazed to see the car was still somewhat supported and there was no damage to my rims. Believe it or not, I was able (forced- in the wrong hood) to drive the car about 3 miles to a safe location to park.

I am amazed that with an actual blow out hole in the sidewalls, that I was able to accomplish such a feat with NO damage to the rims or car. Makes it tough not to get run flats again. I went back and looked at the depth of the potholes and I don't think any tires could have made it through. In fact, there was a truck parked there who also experienced the same wrath as me. (The city had already put up barricades and was prepared to patch the street when I left).

Bee iLL
01-10-08, 07:02 PM
Thats why you have to love Chicago winters! Those plows really get to tear up the roads to keep the construction companys in business... as they say in Chicago there are only two seasons, winter and construction!

Sorry about your misfortune. Glad to know how good the run flats work though!

VelocitySTSV
01-10-08, 07:13 PM
I usually drive my truck in bad weather but I was sick of seeing the V in the garage gathering brake dust on the rims without me even driving it for the last 2 months so I decided to take it out for a spin.. Ugh. Could of been worse I guess. I am going to put a claim into the city, we'll see if I get reimbursed. I have to get 4 new tires though to keep it all in sync.

Bee iLL
01-10-08, 07:21 PM
Thats funny, mine has been sitting in the garage also, but I washed/waxed it before throwing on the cover and battery maintainer. Still looks clean as a whistle, rims and all. I actually had the same urge to drive mine yesterday since all the roads were dry, but decided to stay home with the family.. Sometimes its good to fight off those urges!

VelocitySTSV
01-11-08, 07:43 AM
I learned my lesson!

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-15-08, 10:26 PM
Well i had to replace my maypops today. BFG F1's (rear) are impossible to get anymore since they stopped production. I went with Pirelli's P0 Nero's for only $260 a pop.

thefred
01-15-08, 10:53 PM
Well i had to replace my maypops today. BFG F1's (rear) are impossible to get anymore since they stopped production. I went with Pirelli's P0 Nero's for only $260 a pop.
All that talk about the GSD3s and then you bought Pirellis? Why?

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-16-08, 10:12 AM
I am not the biggest fan of GSD3's but there are few tires out there that make matching sets for stock sizes. BFG stopped production last year on the GSD3's and the supply has run out (at least for our rear size). They won't start production for another couple of months hence I had to find another solution. The P0 Neros are cheaper in price and they make a matching set. I'll give them a try and see how they do. BTW I am a Micleline a guy but at over $450 a pop they get expensive every 10k. Pirelli P0's are $260.

thefred
01-16-08, 12:23 PM
I am not the biggest fan of GSD3's but there are few tires out there that make matching sets for stock sizes. BFG stopped production last year on the GSD3's and the supply has run out (at least for our rear size). They won't start production for another couple of months hence I had to find another solution. The P0 Neros are cheaper in price and they make a matching set. I'll give them a try and see how they do. BTW I am a Micleline a guy but at over $450 a pop they get expensive every 10k. Pirelli P0's are $260.
Its true there is a very limited supply. I think they had my rears shipped in from Texas. Most places just told me that they didn't have them, but Kaufman Tire went the extra mile to find them. Let me know what you think of the P0 Neros. I think I need to wait for warmer weather to really decide how I feel about the GSD3s.

CIWS
01-16-08, 01:52 PM
Has anyone considered (or purchased) something other than the OEM tire size and run on the car ?

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-16-08, 08:08 PM
I tried all combinations up to 305 and couldn't find a tire that has the same outside diameter as stock and make a matching stagger front. It's switch the rims out for bigger ones or suffer with the limited options.

BMBSALES
01-22-08, 10:41 PM
BFG stopped production last year on the GSD3's and the supply has run out (at least for our rear size). They won't start production for another couple of months hence I had to find another solution.

you mean goodyear, don't you?

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-22-08, 10:49 PM
OOOPS^^^^ Yes

Slo-Mo-Shun
01-23-08, 09:57 AM
For those who like to play with alternatives, this tire size calculator is helpful:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It looks to me that as far as winter tires are concerned, we'd acually be better off putting 245/45-19's on the back for 3 months a year. That size also would be better in rain, I'd imagine. The diameter is the same as oem.

bobs-sts-v
01-23-08, 01:33 PM
Actually, my dealer offered a better solution for winter tires. He suggested buying a second set of rims, but all 18". Get rid of the stagger. Using the front rims all around mated with the Blizzaks. The smaller diameter and width is more advantageous to traction in the snow, AND you can get a full set of matching tires.

I did get a second set of rims, but stuck with the stock 18" & 19" stagger. Mounted the Advan S4s, which have performed admirably in the snow here in Chicago. A small amount of slippage, but 100x more traction than the stock Pirellis and 50x more than the GSD3s (numbers are hypothetical estimates I made up to illustrate my perceptions).

Bob

Kadonny
01-24-08, 10:24 AM
(numbers are hypothetical estimates I made up to illustrate my perceptions).

Lol.

Anyone get GMHTP this month? I have not read it yet, but they do a high performance tire comparison in it. Maybe a good read.

BMBSALES
01-28-08, 08:07 PM
stopped production last year on the GSD3's and the supply has run out (at least for our rear size). They won't start production for another couple of months hence I had to find another solution.

this is really annoying since i waited until they were baby smooth to check into replacements, like a dumbass. now i guess i'll have to just replace the rears with stocks for now and take it in the crack for $950 for stock pos.

i had my heart set on those f1's.

thefred
01-28-08, 08:14 PM
this is really annoying since i waited until they were baby smooth to check into replacements, like a dumbass. now i guess i'll have to just replace the rears with stocks for now and take it in the crack for $950 for stock pos.

i had my heart set on those f1's.
I wouldn't give up so easy. Find a national chain and find someone willing to search their inventory to find them. It shouldn't be that hard. It took the guy at Kaufmann a couple of calls and a few hours and he found the GSD3s for me. You might just get lucky.

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-30-08, 12:05 AM
Kaufmann has 2 rears. They were in different areas so the delivery charge would be X2. i didn't have the time nor willing to pay the extra delivery charge. Give them a call they might still have them. Fronts are easy to get. Its the rears that are almose extinct.

CIWS
01-30-08, 10:58 AM
I just did a local check to see what was around here (Dallas) and it now looks like the GoodYear F1 All Season tire is available in our stock OEM sizes, front and rear now YEA ! ! I know what I'll be buying to replace the Pir Run flats :thumbsup:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetailStaggered.do?rcz=75023&rc=TXDINT&yr=2006&cf=false&mps=-50&pc=30039-30050&vid=010316&ct=null

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-30-08, 01:53 PM
Check for GSD3's, those are the hard ones to find

BMBSALES
01-30-08, 08:43 PM
well, i knew it was coming...after not realizing those goodyears were backordered, and wearing the stock pirellis to the cords in the centers, I GOT A FLAT TODAY! but, i did get to drive it to safety, so due to them not leaving me stranded on the side of the road, and that i drive 3hrs, i went with new stock rears...to keep the run flats. they did save me today. i'll have to get the f1's in 15 thousand miles when these are shot again...

CIWS
01-31-08, 09:40 AM
Check for GSD3's, those are the hard ones to find

None in stock size.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rc=TXDINT&tpc=GDYHZM&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=GDYHZM

thefred
01-31-08, 08:11 PM
None in stock size.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rc=TXDINT&tpc=GDYHZM&tp=Passenger%2FPerformance&tc=GDYHZM
You'll have to call someone and get them to work on it for you. LittleElvisDan, they didn't charge me for shiping and I think mine came form Texas too.

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-31-08, 09:44 PM
You'll have to call someone and get them to work on it for you. LittleElvisDan, they didn't charge me for shiping and I think mine came form Texas too.I thought the charge was odd as well. they both were in GA but at different wharehouses so the truck had to drive to each.

CIWS
02-01-08, 06:05 AM
You'll have to call someone and get them to work on it for you. LittleElvisDan, they didn't charge me for shiping and I think mine came form Texas too.

I'll be getting the F1 All Seasons when my run flats run out. I had a set on the CTS-V when I traded it in. (still have the spare in the garage.) :)

LITTLEELVISDAN
02-01-08, 06:26 AM
try the PIrelli P0 Nero's. They have been really good in the rain and dry.

LITTLEELVISDAN
03-25-08, 08:45 PM
Update on the Pirelli P0 Nero's. They have been excellent tires so far. Little to no wear and have had better traction than the stock Run-flats and the Pilot sports. I have been driving them all winter in very cold conditions and have been pleased with the cold traction. I can't wait for it to warm up to give them a good heat cycle to see how they respond.

g50
04-01-08, 02:02 PM
Put these on couple weeks ago> I could not wait for the Goodyears any longer. Was at 13k miles with stock tires. Front and rears need to be changed around 10k miles. These tire work great on our car. Stock sizes but not run flats! I have an extra front and rear wheel at home.

Sumitomo Tire's HTR Z III (High Technology Radials - 3rd Generation) Max Performance Summer tires. While Sumitomo had previously offered Ultra High Performance Summer tires in North America, the HTR Z III

Review:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+III&vehicleSearch=true&index=2&partnum=545YR8HTRZ3XL&partnum=74YR9HTRZ3&tirePageLocQty=%26frontTire%3D545YR8HTRZ3XL%26rear Tire%3D74YR9HTRZ3

John Blaze
04-15-08, 03:27 PM
Just went over the 20k mark and noticed that the front tires are pretty badly wore out in the inner and outer lip. The rears are wearing out in the middle.

What's the deal with the alignment on these cars. IT SUCKS! Gotta be the tire size on this model. I know the regular STS uses a smaller tire and rim size and the V is alot bigger. Seems like GM didn't make the proper adjustments to accomodate this type of wheel/tires.

Need some inexpensive tires anyone got any road reports!

Thanks.

JB :gun:

CIWS
04-15-08, 05:08 PM
Are those the stock Pirelli run-flats going over 20K ?

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-15-08, 08:33 PM
Just went over the 20k mark and noticed that the front tires are pretty badly wore out in the inner and outer lip. The rears are wearing out in the middle.

What's the deal with the alignment on these cars. IT SUCKS! Gotta be the tire size on this model. I know the regular STS uses a smaller tire and rim size and the V is alot bigger. Seems like GM didn't make the proper adjustments to accomodate this type of wheel/tires.

Need some inexpensive tires anyone got any road reports!

Thanks.

JB :gun:alinment is good with the cars its the staggered set up that causes the uneven wear. you can't rotate your tires. I have done an off the rim rotation before and it didn't gain me anything really but maybe soe added road noise. 20k out of your fronts is good BE HAPPY...

BMBSALES
04-16-08, 02:58 PM
mine are toe up on the outer lip, with 22k. cords soon...

John Blaze
04-17-08, 09:13 AM
From what I hear the Pirelli's are a so-so tire. I read a thread posted earlier that someone who had stock tires wore out so bad that the inside fronts were actually stripping apart.

When I read that, that's the same thing happening to me, my front inside tires also where stripping and coming apart. My wife was driving one day and she told me that she heard something under the car around the tires. I was thinking Sheeet! Did you rip the splash shield again! Previously that happened when she parked over something and ripped all the guts out under the car and ripped out the lower splash guard and air dam. Anyways, I looked under the car and the guards where in tact, although the stinking tires where stripped and flopping around. Never saw that, I've seen tires down to the mesh but never saw it coming apart to a point where it could wrap around the axel.

Anyhows, I ordered some tires and I'll give you guys a road report when there put on. My wife says she wants out and she's sick of all the problems. I have to admit this car is too high maintance. Gas mileage stinks, the lights fogged up again (after I had them replaced) allignment issues, radio issues.

Looks like I'm going to upgrade to a soccer mom vehicle. She likes the M class. I'll just have to bump that up to a soccer mom suv on roids! ML63 if they make it.

Kadonny
04-17-08, 04:19 PM
From what I hear the Pirelli's are a so-so tire. I read a thread posted earlier that someone who had stock tires wore out so bad that the inside fronts were actually stripping apart.

When I read that, that's the same thing happening to me, my front inside tires also where stripping and coming apart. My wife was driving one day and she told me that she heard something under the car around the tires. I was thinking Sheeet! Did you rip the splash shield again! Previously that happened when she parked over something and ripped all the guts out under the car and ripped out the lower splash guard and air dam. Anyways, I looked under the car and the guards where in tact, although the stinking tires where stripped and flopping around. Never saw that, I've seen tires down to the mesh but never saw it coming apart to a point where it could wrap around the axel.

Anyhows, I ordered some tires and I'll give you guys a road report when there put on. My wife says she wants out and she's sick of all the problems. I have to admit this car is too high maintance. Gas mileage stinks, the lights fogged up again (after I had them replaced) allignment issues, radio issues.

Looks like I'm going to upgrade to a soccer mom vehicle. She likes the M class. I'll just have to bump that up to a soccer mom suv on roids! ML63 if they make it.

Wow, other than tire wear, this car has been totally trouble free for me and nothing but a great car. Start it, drive it hard, park it, repeat. I could never do that in my CTS-V without something clunking, breaking or leaking.

My GSD3s are wearing pretty well after I had the car aligned. They had to take the whole front nose off the car to realign it to something other than factory specs. Tire wear is better in the front, but the Goodyears got very loud lately. Groaning like a biotch.

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-17-08, 05:06 PM

JB :gun:I had the same problem with the stock run-flats but the P0 Nero's have been much better.

CIWS
04-18-08, 07:51 AM

No vehicle is problem free, it's simply a question of what problems you'll get to deal with on a particular vehicle. Most run-flat tires are not long tread life. 20K out of run-flats actually is pretty good and nothing to be upset about, for a run-flat. But there are several non run-flats that you can get that will get a much longer tread life.
Alignment issues are simply a question of finding someone who can actually align the car right, or for your specific needs. That's a problem anyone/car has.

Mercedes does make an ML63, it will cost you 90K +

http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=ML63

If you think the gas mileage on the STS-V sucks, the ML63 gets on the highway what the V does in the city. You be in an even worse position.
"Fuel economy
EPA estimate -11 mpg
Highway estimate -14 mpg"

It honestly sounds like you just want something different and there's nothing wrong with that.

bobs-sts-v
04-18-08, 09:33 AM
John,
I dare say I have had my V the longest of anyone here (Dec '05), and have had very few problems. ALL of them have been dealt with by the dealer very quickly, always fixed right the first time, and I haven't had to pay for anything other than routine maintenance. I consider tires part of that. I was as disappointed as everyone else with the wear and quality of the Pirelli run flats, but have corrected that with the Advan S4 for winter, and the GS-D3 for summer. I LOVE my car, and wouldn't trade it for anything (at the moment).:bouncy:

Bob

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-18-08, 09:40 AM
Let the wife know Mercedes has a worse maint record thatn the V. My neighbors ML was always in the shop. not for minor issues either. For major stranded on the road issues. They chased engine cooling issues from the day they owned it to the day they traded it in. Blown radiator, blown radiator hose, head gaskets, etc. you name it they had it replaced and not at all at the same time. each breakdown they replaced something new. I know each car makes has similar horrer stories. it all boils down what problems you are happy to live with. So far your hasn't been to bad.

Slo-Mo-Shun
04-18-08, 10:50 AM
Alignment issues are simply a question of finding someone who can actually align the car right, or for your specific needs. That's a problem anyone/car has.

I'm not understanding the discussions about alignment. Don't we have struts up front and isn't toe the only adjustable parameter absent installing camber plates or similar? And isn't the rear completely nonadjustable?

Yet one guy says a shop had to pull the front off the car to "align it right"? Pulling the front? For a toe adjustment????? My initial reaction is that somebody got taken for a very expensive ride, or I'm seriously missing something.

After reading the posts, it appears to me that tire wear is a function of (1) sporadic maintenance, (2) no rotation possible (3) trips to the track, especially those 1/4 mile ones, (4) a camber curve that, combined with the stiff, low-profile sidewalls, frequently puts the tires on their edges, and (5) hi performance tires just don't last that long.

You can zero the toe to make wear more even across the width of the tire (with corresponding loss of self-centering in the steering) but other than that, I don't see how alignment is going to solve tire wear issues. What am I missing?

CIWS
04-18-08, 01:07 PM
Yet one guy says a shop had to pull the front off the car to "align it right"? Pulling the front? For a toe adjustment?????

Not sure if you're thinking of me. I mentioned when they pulled my engine to replace the gasket, they also ended up readjusting my alignment/toe in the front. (at least that was on the ticket)

John Blaze
04-18-08, 01:17 PM
Good input fellas...... appreciate it!:worship:

I know tires will be tires and not all are equal to each other. BUT... I owned many vehicles all the way down to a datsun 210 to your exotics. When I see my fronts wear out in different areas, there's a alignment issue whether its toe in toe out, pinky in pinky out or whatever. Never really had this happen that badly on any of my vehicles. I had a Jag S-type R with some minor front inner lip wear that was corrected by my mechanic by adjusting the camber (I think that's what he did...again not a mechanic) and that corrected that issue.

Seems to me this is a SPECIFIC Vechicle concern. I'm not a mechanic but common sense tell me that when the right front wears out differently than the left...that's a flag in my book. Rear tires wore out evenly down the middle. I'm cool with that. Sheety thing is that I had the allignment done at 10k and this is the result?!#@

Getting the tires mounted today, and I can assure you that I will specificly let the dealer know the condition of the tires and what are they prepared to do about that!:emocide:

As far as the Benz is concerned...I'm a little familiar with their issues and pretty hesitant about getting one but... guys...if your married and if the wife wants....usually she gets. That's usually how it goes. So single fellas....STAY SINGLE and sport your whip around town with 1 chick in front and 3 in back!

JB:gun:

LITTLEELVISDAN
04-18-08, 01:43 PM
guys...if your married and if the wife wants....usually she gets. That's usually how it goes.

I fully understand this reason for getting rid of a completely good car for something ok, just because. this is exactly how I lost my 2 seater convert.:crying:

Slo-Mo-Shun
04-18-08, 07:49 PM
When I see my fronts wear out in different areas, there's a alignment issue whether its toe in toe out, pinky in pinky out or whatever.

Probably. But one has to keep in mind that for a street legal vehicle, this one is way out there on the high performance fringe. If you were driving a race car, you would EXPECT uneven wear if both sides of the car were set up the same way, because a road circuit with even left-right loadings over the course of a lap is very rare, and on an oval even left-right loading is impossible.

We have hi-po cars with soft, stickey tires. These things will loose rubber, especially on a warm day. If by chance you are driving the car over the same route again and again, there is a chance you will wind up loading one side more than the other.

Of course, the first thing I'd do if I saw uneven wear would be to have the alignment checked. I'm just saying that we can't expect cars like these, with tires like these, to wear like regular street tires on a Buick.

John Blaze
06-15-08, 09:56 PM
What's up fellas....

Here's a follow up on the tires I purchased a few months back. I went with the Sumitoma HTR Z III. Had them installed about 3500 miles back and very satisfied with them. Most importantly is that I expensed under $700 for these tires. Purchased them at Tirerack and had them delivered to my mechanic. That will cost you about a $120 to have them mounted. No sense of buying $400 in a tire for them to be wore out and beat up because of the STS V terrible suspension and alignment issues.

Other than that, the car will be traded as soon as my wife can make up her mind on a small suv. WOMEN?:bigroll:

CIWS
06-16-08, 04:54 PM
I went with a set of Goodyear F1 All Seasons from Tirerack, stock size, and will save what's left on the run flats in case I decide to trade the car off in a few years. It's certainly nice to be back off the run flat ride.

dhemrick
06-16-08, 10:08 PM
I have the same tires (Goodyear F1 All Seasons) and so far have been very happy with them. The handling is as good as the run flats from what I can tell, and the ride is 1000% better.

leija_01
06-17-08, 04:52 AM
Has anyone ran BFGoodrich's G-Force KDW's on the STSV yet? JW....

CIWS
06-17-08, 09:09 AM
Has anyone ran BFGoodrich's G-Force KDW's on the STSV yet? JW....

Are they offered in stock size, or are you speaking running them outside that ?

leija_01
06-17-08, 01:54 PM
Running outside the stock tire size... but then again, I tend to go bigger when it comes to new tires...hmm...I'll investigate.

Slo-Mo-Shun
06-18-08, 05:18 PM
Why do you want to run outside the stock size? Is it strictly for looks, or will you be looking for a performance gain? If so, what type of gain (acceleration, cornering, braking)?

leija_01
06-21-08, 10:51 PM
a lil bit of both@slo-mo!! When time comes around for new tires, I will be going with these!

LITTLEELVISDAN
06-27-08, 01:12 PM
I have been looking outside of the stock sizes for only 1 reason. That is to find a bigger range of tire brands available and keep the same diameter.

Slo-Mo-Shun
06-28-08, 03:01 PM
Contact patch is determined by vehicle weight and tire pressure. The width of the tire has nothing to do with it; the size of the tire only affects the shape of the contact patch, not the contact patch size. Therefore, if you are trying to get "more performance" by going to a wider size tire, you should carefully consider just what form of performance increase you are looking for and why you think the wider size will get you that form of increase.

As for finding a wider range of available types, I'm all for that and I'd be interested in hearing reports from those who have tried it, including comments on whether any clearance issues are being encountered.

BMBSALES
06-28-08, 03:54 PM
Contact patch is determined by vehicle weight and tire pressure. The width of the tire has nothing to do with it; the size of the tire only affects the shape of the contact patch, not the contact patch size....

this is a bit inaccurate, as both tire size and wheel size affect the size of the contact patch, not just the shape. a rediculous example would be a very wide tire, on a very narrow rim...once it was up to any speed at all, it would ride up on the center rounded part of tire, so it would be on a thin patch like a motorcycle, and in order to maintain the same contact patch, you would have to go pretty far around the circumference of the tire, which couldn't occur. tire pressure just changes what speed that occurs at best, but contact patches most certainly can change just by changing wheel/rim widths.

ssstealth
06-30-08, 10:04 AM
I am considering these Goodyear Eagle F1-AS this time around... They are now available in our sizes.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_eaglef1_as_ci2_l.jpg

CIWS
06-30-08, 10:09 AM
I am considering these Goodyear Eagle F1-AS this time around... They are now available in our sizes.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_eaglef1_as_ci2_l.jpg

So far so good with mine. They have about 1300 miles on them so far. :)

dhemrick
06-30-08, 03:31 PM
I have the GoodYear F1-AS as well. 3500 miles and so far so good. Still great handling but with a MUCH better ride than the Pirelli run-craps.

BMBSALES
07-04-08, 05:20 PM
...Pirelli run-craps.

:D now that's funny

droppinbombs
07-09-08, 03:51 AM
Just to let you all know

Pirelli just launched a 295/25/28 Scorpion Zero (SUV tire) with 1900lb load capacity at 50 psi

They are not promoting it as an Escalade fitment but the tire will fit many vehicles

THis has a 32.0 Overall Diameter

A lot of you all dont know that they make a 295/30/26 which fits fine and will not RUB LIKE THE 305/30/26

Spread the word

CIWS
07-09-08, 08:42 AM
Stock tire size on the STS-V is

255/45-18 (Front)

275/40-19 (Rear)

Kadonny
07-09-08, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I think the guy is just trying to promote some tires without really knowing or caring what forum he posts it on.

jwall09
07-31-09, 04:22 PM
OK, i have the Goodyear F1-AS now and the rears are shot. I have only put 8k on the car since i have gotten it and the dealer said they were new then, could be false. The road noise is crazy, but i assume its because the rears are so used up since the fronts are in good shape.

I have read every post on this thread and i have a few questions:
1. Is the stock alignment OK and will it help my noise?
2. Do the Yokohama ADVAN S.4 look as agressive as the F1's?
3. Which wear better and have less road noise, Yokohama ADVAN S.4 or Good Year F1-AS?

CIWS
08-01-09, 08:57 AM
I got roughly 17-18K out of the rears on GY F1 A/S tires until they were at the wear bars. I wasn't overly aggressive, but I certainly wasn't polite to them either.

I'm now running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

The stock alignment seems to be OK. But I discovered inadvertently, that two different dealership shops were running two different specs for the car on the alignment, by their statement this was due to the alignment machine company's tech not keeping things up to date in them both.

ssstealth
08-01-09, 09:44 AM
I have 16,000 miles on my Goodyear F1-AS rubber. They are still looking good even after 2 track days. I have dropped pressure on the rear down to 30 because there is just a hint of extra wear in the center of the tire.

CIWS
08-01-09, 10:55 AM
I have 16,000 miles on my Goodyear F1-AS rubber. They are still looking good even after 2 track days. I have dropped pressure on the rear down to 30 because there is just a hint of extra wear in the center of the tire.

Yeah about halfway through their life I was noticing this, and pulled them down to 30 cold. The recommended by Cadillac is definitely too high and causes premature wear in the center. The runflats were useless due to this after 8K.

WillySTS
08-03-09, 11:16 AM
Don't you guys start throwing shoes at me,:duck: but I'm just tellin' ya what I saw and it made me laugh...

I was on my way to an event yesterday,drivin' a street that moves pretty fast(55 mph speed limit), when the traffic ahead started bunchin' up. o I sift through the traffic and get to the front...there's a guy, drivin' a BMW 650 convertable, w 4 people in it, driving the right lane with his 4 ways on, about 20 mph, right rear tire in shreads, about to start chewing up the fender, talking on a cell phone. I don't know if thos came with run-flats or not, but he didin't have them on then.

Moral of the story is...if you are to cool:cool2: to stop and change a flat, then you need run-flats.

CIWS
08-03-09, 06:37 PM
You'd think someone with a 6 series BMUU would have some form of roadside service to call and come change it for them and/or bring a tire to get them home.

Berger 93
08-04-09, 09:21 AM
I have 16,000 miles on my Goodyear F1-AS rubber. . . . .

Nice tire, but I am WAYYYYY too dissapointed with the road noise they transmit . . . . :(

Berger 93
08-04-09, 09:22 AM
. . . I'm now running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. . . . .

I'm running those on my Camaro SS convertible . . . NICE tires! Pricey, but WOW!

CIWS
08-04-09, 10:02 AM
Good rubber is important. I won't cheap out on tires. The GY F1 A/S were "fine" but I was hoping for a little bit longer tread life based on their rating. The Mich tires are rated even higher, which usually means a tire doesn't grip as well, but in the case of these they do seem to hold the road better than the GYs, and they're not too much more expensive. Mainly the rears are a bit more.

WillySTS
08-04-09, 10:26 AM
I, too, believe it is senseless to cheap out on tires, especially on a performance vehicle.

As you all may have guessed, I'm sticking with runflats untill a better "performance" R/F comes along, but, I typically buy "AA" traction rated performance tires, and usually prefer Michelins. I really like the Pilot series, especially the PS2's. They may have a short "mileage" treadlife, but that's usually ok with me since my cars are all less than 7,000 miles per year, so they still end up lasting at least 2 years. I had my Firehawk 5 years and put 1 set of tires on them. They lasted 16,000 miles. I replaced my rear V tires at 17,000 miles after 2 years. I ran BFG D/R's on the rear of my 454-SS for 4 years, 8500 miles, and they have a "0" utog rating. I actually have a pair right now, but they won't fit any of my current vehicles.

CIWS
08-04-09, 01:08 PM
It would be nice if we had some other choices in the run flats.

Berger 93
08-04-09, 03:40 PM
I, too, believe it is senseless to cheap out on tires, especially on a performance vehicle. .

I aggree, but certainly do not consider buying Goodyear tires as "cheaping out" . . . .

It would be nice if we had some other choices in the run flats.

Indeed . .

CIWS
08-04-09, 03:50 PM
I aggree, but certainly do not consider buying Goodyear tires as "cheaping out" . . . .

Nope me either, that's why I tried a set of them. :)

WillySTS
08-04-09, 04:45 PM

I don't either...I didn't know that I said that. :hmm:My personal philosopy is...
"If they don't have a Racing Program, They can't be any good".(Drifting doesn't count as a racing program) Well, we all know that Goodyear has a worldwide racing program, so that statement certainly does not apply to them. I was talking about other tires that I have seen on V's, such as Khumos, Falken, Nitto,etc...cheap tires.

CIWS
08-04-09, 06:08 PM
and in the STS forum, of some guy purchasing some Chinese tires that were like 65.00 each in our size.

silverws6ta
08-04-09, 08:09 PM
and in the STS forum, of some guy purchasing some Chinese tires that were like 65.00 each in our size.

Ahh yes.. the 'Sunny' -- whats so hilarious is I pulled up one day and noticed a coworkers Yaris (with what.. 85 brake horsepower??!) had a set of these on it..

Way too hilarious! :crybaby:

PGA2B
08-05-09, 12:05 AM
What about Falken FK-452 tires?

WillySTS
08-05-09, 11:29 AM
What about Falken FK-452 tires?

Cheap Tires...in my book.:stirpot:

To me, the tires integrity comes 1st,resistance to damage and ability to stay in one piece while being driven hard, which would put the falken fairly low to me.
2nd is tire grip,handling,etc. which may be good with this tire from what I have read.
3rd is noise level after a few thousand miles,where the Goodyears fair badly on most of their tires in my experience.
4th is comfort
5th is treadlife,where the Falken scores good, but is not important to me.

jwall09
08-05-09, 06:33 PM
OK, i have the Goodyear F1-AS now and the rears are shot. I have only put 8k on the car since i have gotten it and the dealer said they were new then, could be false. The road noise is crazy, but i assume its because the rears are so used up since the fronts are in good shape.

I have read every post on this thread and i have a few questions:
1. Is the stock alignment OK and will it help my noise?
2. Do the Yokohama ADVAN S.4 look as agressive as the F1's?
3. Which wear better and have less road noise, Yokohama ADVAN S.4 or Good Year F1-AS?

What about the Yokohama ADVAN S.4? Tirerack.com has them rated among the highest for performance, road noise and tread life. Anyone have good 10k+ mile experience with them? Im happy with my GY F1 A/S as for performance, but the noise is absolutely horrid for such an expensive tire.

WillySTS
08-05-09, 07:34 PM
What about the Yokohama ADVAN S.4? Tirerack.com has them rated among the highest for performance, road noise and tread life. Anyone have good 10k+ mile experience with them? Im happy with my GY F1 A/S as for performance, but the noise is absolutely horrid for such an expensive tire.
I have a special place in my heart for Yoko's as they were my best tire sponsor and I really liked their product, but their specialty is with Spec tires or Near Spec tires. These are extreme performance tires, good for southern Kali, where I live, but, Lawd Hepya' in the rain. Their all weather tires seem to comprimise a lot of that performance and tend to be noisey as well, as you state.

PGA2B
08-05-09, 10:04 PM
Cheap Tires...in my book.:stirpot:

To me, the tires integrity comes 1st,resistance to damage and ability to stay in one piece while being driven hard, which would put the falken fairly low to me.
2nd is tire grip,handling,etc. which may be good with this tire from what I have read.
3rd is noise level after a few thousand miles,where the Goodyears fair badly on most of their tires in my experience.
4th is comfort
5th is treadlife,where the Falken scores good, but is not important to me.

I was also looking at Dunlop SP Sport 01. I have had Bridgestone RE050A Pole Positions but they wore out VERY fast on my Lincoln LSE. I just do not like Goodyears.:(

LITTLEELVISDAN
08-05-09, 11:52 PM
I, too, believe it is senseless to cheap out on tires, especially on a performance vehicle.

As you all may have guessed, I'm sticking with runflats untill a better "performance" R/F comes along, but, I typically buy "AA" traction rated performance tires, and usually prefer Michelins. .

Kind of interseting you say you believe in putting performance tires on a performance car but yet you say you are going to keep the runflats. They aren't really a performance tire. the only reason they stuck them on out car is to reduce weight by removing the need ofr a spare and jacking tools. There are a LOT better performance tires for our car and are actually cheaper to buy. Not flaming, just thought it interesting....:hmm:

WillySTS
08-06-09, 11:08 AM
Kind of interseting you say you believe in putting performance tires on a performance car but yet you say you are going to keep the runflats. They aren't really a performance tire. the only reason they stuck them on out car is to reduce weight by removing the need ofr a spare and jacking tools. There are a LOT better performance tires for our car and are actually cheaper to buy. Not flaming, just thought it interesting....:hmm:
I say I'm sticking with R/F's because my wife drives the car half the time and we have no spare. We use the trunk and I'm not riding around with a tire and jack bungeed in the trunk just to get .2(tops) more cornering force on non R/F tires, thats just tacky.:thepan:
Keep in mind the Pirellis are performance tires, just not the absolute best ones and neither is our car, for that matter. They are good enough for now. I have acheved a very good balance with the car by doing what autocross and showrrom stock racers do...raise the front tire pressure and lower the rear tire pressure, handles a lot better on my favorite on ramps and curvy roads and evens out the tire wear(edges on the front,center on the rear). And like I said, their good enough. If/when I decide to go to the track, I'll use set of spec tires on 18" wheels, and when a better R/F tire comes along in our size I'll jump on it.

As far these tires not having any grip in the snow and rain...so...don't drive it at those times or slow your butt down.:thepan: Any tires I buy won't have much for wet traction, it doesn't rain much here.

nlharter
08-06-09, 03:02 PM
Willy, what do you recommend for tire pressures in front versus rear? Just curious.

CIWS
08-06-09, 05:07 PM
Willy, what do you recommend for tire pressures in front versus rear? Just curious.

He kinda answered that over in another thread.

Yeah, those recommendations by Cadillac are definately generic. From my Showroon Stock racing days, a front engined,rear drive,relatively heavy vehicles on street tires should run at least a 5psi split...especialy if the rear tires are larger than the front. So...I run 35-36 front,which also helps to keep the edge wear in check and no more than 30 in the rear(cold). Besides evening out the tire wear across the tread a bit, it also balances the car's handling...understeers a little less,tail comes out a little easier, which make the car a little more tossable to me...I like it.:yup:

I've essentially swapped the recommended pressure from front to rear and it's been doing fine now with wear.

32lbs (cold) front and 30lbs (cold) rear.

nlharter
08-06-09, 05:26 PM
I should have checked that thread to see if it was him. I was wanting to get another opinion. When I bought mine certified it had new front tires but the rears were supposedely ok. They have them all at 30 lbs, so I should be okay. I do not want the rears to wear out long before the fronts and then be forced to buy only rear runflats or get a different brand and scrap the fronts. I am new to high performance tires and leary of them only lasting 16 K. We will put that many miles on the car a year assuming a decent winter. I will drive my Av during bad days, but it all ready needs new tires. I know the tire noise on the V will not be as loud as the 35" tires on my truck. You can hear them purring for miles.

WillySTS
08-06-09, 07:57 PM
I'm actually investigating buying tires other than R/F's if I can get verification from a trustworthy source that the air pump and "goo" in the newer cars does not harm the TPS sensors in our cars...I know that comercially available repair goo does harm them, as I have had some customer come in with the tps system inop and that was the problem...sensors had to be replaced. Either that or find out if the new sensors, that are not harmed by that stuff, are compatable with our cars.

Oh, well..., I've got a little time. I've about 9,000 miles on these rear tires.

jwall09
08-06-09, 09:48 PM
I decided to go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Dealer gave them to me at cost, $325 per installed. I at least want to test another top tire, the noise from the GY F1 A/S is going to drive me INSANE!

whisler151
08-06-09, 10:50 PM
I'm actually investigating buying tires other than R/F's if I can get verification from a trustworthy source that the air pump and "goo" in the newer cars does not harm the TPS sensors in our cars...I know that comercially available repair goo does harm them, as I have had some customer come in with the tps system inop and that was the problem...sensors had to be replaced. Either that or find out if the new sensors, that are not harmed by that stuff, are compatable with our cars.

I had a flat while on the dyno (threw a nail on the first pull). I filled the tire with "fix a flat" to try to limp off the dyno. I thought my TPS would be screwed, nope! It still works like a charm.

WillySTS
08-07-09, 10:33 AM
I had a flat while on the dyno (threw a nail on the first pull). I filled the tire with "fix a flat" to try to limp off the dyno. I thought my TPS would be screwed, nope! It still works like a charm.
Thank's. That's good to know.:bouncy:

CIWS
08-07-09, 10:56 AM
That was with a few hours of exposure, about 3-4 in the tire, right Whisler ?