: Need some help........V6 or V8

tgdaman
01-14-07, 04:34 PM
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I have been seriously considering '07 SRX, but can't decide between the V6 or the Northstar V8. When I compare the optioned out cost of the V6 with what comes standard on the V8, I get only about 1600$ difference in price. This is really not significant to me, nor is the difference in supposed gas mileage. (is real life mileage way off?) I'm more concerned with differences in smoothness, quietness, and reliability. I would appreciate anybody's knowledge, experience, or opinion on this.
Thanks.

mohmoh
01-14-07, 06:27 PM
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I have been seriously considering '07 SRX, but can't decide between the V6 or the Northstar V8. When I compare the optioned out cost of the V6 with what comes standard on the V8, I get only about 1600$ difference in price. This is really not significant to me, nor is the difference in supposed gas mileage. (is real life mileage way off?) I'm more concerned with differences in smoothness, quietness, and reliability. I would appreciate anybody's knowledge, experience, or opinion on this.
Thanks.

I have a 2005 V8 fully loaded. I've driven a V6 for 4 weeks recently while mine was getting services/ in the body shop after being attacked by a drive thru car wash...

Absolutely get the V8. IMHO a basic V6 is nothing special. You can get other cars as good for the same money. The V8 with mag ride is smoother, quieter, better all round. Get the sun roof. It is a lot of fun.
I would say I noticed better mpg with the V6, but I couldn't quantify it. Bottom line: If you buy the V6 you will always have the nagging doubt that you should have got the V8. If you get the V8 you will *never* wonder if you should have got the V6. No regrets :)

sgilbert
01-14-07, 07:41 PM
Absolutely Ditto what mohmoh said---110%

pabstcadillac
01-14-07, 07:42 PM
N* is the way to go. Smoother imo, better pick up & you the extra chrome on the roof rack & a couple of other goodies so there truly is no apple to apple comparison.

TSS
01-15-07, 07:03 AM
Agree - V-8 is much smoother, quieter (though my gas mileage is worse than I expected (13.5/20)). Bottom line: GET the V-8!

robhersch
01-15-07, 11:15 AM
Agree - V-8 is much smoother, quieter (though my gas mileage is worse than I expected (13.5/20)). Bottom line: GET the V-8!

I concur: get the N*V8! Very quiet, good torque & power !!
My 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 320 hp; 5 spd auto; gets ~ 12-14 avg city; ~ 19-22 avg LA to LV; (slight diff between DIC r/o & manual calculation of mpg)
My 1999 DeVille Concours N*V8 FWD; 300 hp; 4 spd auto; gets ~ 14-16 avg city; ~ 22-25 avg LA to LV; (slight diffs here also)

lazybill
01-15-07, 07:59 PM
I had a 04 V6 RWD SRX, traded it in in Nov for an 07 V8 AWD; now have 1200 mi. For the moderate extra cost, get the V8. The 6speed shift and extra:) power are great, the engine is smooooth. And from what I can tell so far, the gas mileage is no worse, may be even a bit better out on the road. I'd take the -8 every time. Good trading:crybaby: