: Why do our Vs have 6 lug wheels? Why'd GM do this?

sy1172
01-13-07, 04:54 PM
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even the 1000hp Bugatti Veyron has 5. Any ideas? I've read it's due to power and torque outputs but the Z06 doesn't have it either....hmmmm. makes buying wheels a PITA.

heavymetals
01-13-07, 04:58 PM
My understanding is that to match the brakes with existing parts (make that price target!), the V had to use truck stuff.

HiTechRV
01-13-07, 05:05 PM
Interesting!

dqw1
01-13-07, 05:48 PM
urr, maybe they were mad at Tire Rack and decided to use us to get back at them. Damn, who the hell knows why they smoked out during the wheel design phase.

heavymetals
01-13-07, 06:36 PM
I am amazed that the car got built at all.

Cadillac support was not and is not prepared to handle the niche market that Cadillac marketing created with the V.

Good thing the aftermarket support is what it is :D

Feffman
01-13-07, 09:45 PM
My understanding is that to match the brakes with existing parts (make that price target!), the V had to use truck stuff.

Heavy:

I believe you are spot on. The hubs are the same as my father-in-law's GMC pickup. This allows a parking brake (drum style) with the wonderful 4-pot Brembo calipers! I for one think it's a pretty nifty design, simple and effective.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

ctsvett
01-14-07, 12:58 AM
Holy crap... our car has 6 lugs? I didnt know that..

Just kidding... I think we had this conversation about 3 years ago if I am not mistaken.... HAHAHA

But thanks for the memories...

Reed

svassh
01-14-07, 11:28 AM
Holy crap... our car has 6 lugs? I didnt know that..

Just kidding... I think we had this conversation about 3 years ago if I am not mistaken.... HAHAHA

But thanks for the memories...

Reed

You old timers (long time V owners) need to remember not everyone was rich 3 years ago and could afford a V. Now that the resell has dropped you will continue to see new blood in here and rehashed threads. Be patient with us new owners. :yup:

ctsvett
01-16-07, 01:25 AM
If you know me, then you know I am very sarcastic and VERY helpful to newbies... All at the same time...

I was seriously remembering the first time we talked about this...

Reed

GASCARRACER
01-16-07, 05:24 AM
Do you think it may have something to do with their racing program?

Feffman
01-16-07, 06:27 AM
Do you think it may have something to do with their racing program?

Very unlikely. More to do with availability of an appropriate part from the GM parts bin.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

HiTechRV
01-16-07, 08:33 PM
So for the newbies - how did the search of truck rims that would fit go? Generally truck wheels are too heavy, but the idea of some truck wheels with snows for winter is appealing. Also there *are* sometimes high performance truck wheels available.

Are there any trucks with our 6 bolt pattern and a similar offset that would be an easy place to start a search?

TrazzNJ
01-16-07, 10:05 PM
I think it was because 7 was too many. Thats what I heard....