: I almost broke my V tonight (thank you stability control)

anim8orCTSV
01-13-07, 01:54 AM
So on a whim I was heading out to get some dinner for my Wife and I.

There is a spot on the road that has been pooling water for a few days but tonight it got cold enough for it to be icy.

When I hit this patch I saw my rpms shoot up, so I thought I missed a gear since I didn't feel like I was slipping so I shifted it out then back into 3rd.

Well, I quiuckly found out I had not missed the gear at all (mind you this is the first car I have ever had that had the balls that the V has). It seemed like slow motion as my rear end started to slide out to my left.

As I came close to being perpendicular to the road I had my weel turned all the way to the left and I was staring at a fence (I was peparing for the sound of my V hitting that fence). At this point I just kept on steering and waiting for my tires to grip.

Whoosh the first telephone pole goes by, I missed it by a foot or so.

The rear end started to come back and by the time I missed the second telephone pole I was back to normal, albeit on a dirt shoulder.

In my direction it was one lane with a median to my left and a dirt shoulder to my right. I was lucky there was NO damage to my V.

As a force of habit I always turn off traction control (competitive driving mode). I am going to be a little more carful and take the weather into consideration much more from now on.

Even though I nearly wiped out I have to say it felt REALLY cool.

-Paul
anim8orCTSV

The funny thing is, I have been renting a lot of movies lately that I never took the time to see, tonight I watched Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift.

Lord Cadillac
01-13-07, 03:37 AM
A very close call! I'm glad you made it out of there safely. :)

urbanski
01-13-07, 06:51 AM
i havent missed a fence yet

ahahnu
01-13-07, 08:34 AM
i havent missed a fence yet - sorry buddy

I was the same way, turn it all off as soon as I got in. Then I started to leave it on, one day it was wet out and I was going to work, where I usually gun it there is a slight bend to the left and slight kink in the road, enought to send the rear around - stability kicked in and saved some damage. Now I just leave it on. Glad you didn't hurt either of you babies.

The Tony Show
01-13-07, 08:47 AM
Stabilitrak is my friend. Glad to hear you've met her now, too.

CIWS
01-13-07, 08:49 AM
For me if the roads are moist everything stay on.

HushH
01-13-07, 09:42 AM
Same here. I save Competitive Mode for when things are nice and dry.

HiTechRV
01-13-07, 09:58 AM
I only turn off TC momentarilly, if at all. I have not needed competitive mode yet.

CIWS
01-13-07, 10:14 AM
I save Competitive Mode for when things are nice and dry.

:yeah: