: Cadillac $ervice vs. Chrysler Service

CVP33
01-12-07, 08:59 PM
Well to be honest, I should say Dodge 5 Star. I took my Chrysler 300C SRT-8 in for service today. Nope, not another rear differential failure, just to mount 4 tires and get my State Inspection sticker. Now my rear tires are cords, obvious sign of abuse. My rear brakes are at the squealers after 25,000 miles, just the inside pads though. At the Caddy dealership, this is when the arguments would've begun. I get accused of abusive driving and the service center tries to weasle out of the warranty repairs. But not Chrysler.

4 Tires mounted and balanced - $75
State Inspection - FREE
Brake Job - TSB, new slotted rotors and ceramic pads installed on all 4 corners - FREE

Not having to take off the CAI, Hi-Flo CAT's and Catback exhaust everytime I go to the dealer - Priceless

Last time I was in, they didn't like the way two of my wheels looked. It appeared that the wheel weight glue had somehow stained the inside of the rim. And I mean, way inside where you could barely see. Dodge 5 Star replaced them both, no questions, no fight, no charge. :D

Jesda
01-13-07, 04:59 AM
Chrysler has been making some effort at bringing its dealer service up to par. In the past, they were shady roadside shacks with cigarette smoking snakes. In general, however, Cadillac and Chrysler are behind Jaguar, Lexus, and Lincoln for dealer satisfaction.

LLT
01-20-07, 12:28 AM
Glad you had good service at a Chrysler dealer. Chrysler tends to be more lax on warranty repairs than GM. If a GM dealer suspects foul play they will certainly try to "weasel their way out of it" because if they send a part back to GM that GM determines the dealer shouldn't have replaced [under warranty], it will be charged back to the dealer in some circumstances.

A vehicle chocked full of mods isn't worth the risk to most dealers and they will likely give you a hard time. It's just like insurance - there's risks associated with different groups... not all young people get into accidents, but it's more likely than not in the eyes of the insurance company, thus higher rates. Not all people who mod their vehicles abuse and/or break them, but it is more likely than not.

Guess you got lucky with the Chrysler folks - better hold on to them, bring them donuts, etc. :)

dkozloski
01-20-07, 03:40 PM
Historically, the manufacturers with the best dealer ratings are those with the fewest reported troubles on the cars. The fewer contacts between dealers and owners the better.

CVP33
01-20-07, 07:01 PM
Finding a good dealership is the only thing that will keep me from getting the next generation CTS-V. These Chrysler boys are hard to beat. Over 25,000 miles and they replaced all 4 rotors and 8 brake pads. The itemized bill was over $1,000. :highfive:

Lindsay Cadillac
01-20-07, 09:13 PM
You have already found a good dealership... You just live too far away...

thebigjimsho
01-20-07, 10:30 PM
Chrysler dealers around here suck. My dealer, Olsen Cadillac is good with mods and they kick ass. There's good and bad with both. Your hypothesis makes no sense to me. Seems like CVP just found a bad Caddy dealer. It's just that Chris has the biggest yap trap...:D

LLT
01-20-07, 11:24 PM
Oh I agree, there's good and bad with any manufacturer. I myself have had a horrible experience with Chrysler on a new Ram I purchased in a moment of weakness. Suffice to say, I'll never own another Chrysler product. That said, they are still as a manufacturer, less scrutinizing on warranty repairs than GM (guess they have to be) as a general rule; I guess it depends on how you look at it whether that's considered good or bad.

Many, if not most, dealers believe: if you install an aftermarket exhaust and your alternator fries a week later, that is presumably an unrelated issue to the modification and the warranty should logically be honored. If, however, you rewire your vehicle and add aftermarket electrical accessories and then your alternator fries, that's an entirely different story. That's a risk you assume when you choose to alter your vehicle outside of factory specification.

GM makes its position clear (on mods and dealer-installed mods) in a recent info bulletin:

The recent rise and expansion of companies selling non-GM parts and accessories has made it necessary to issue this reminder to dealers regarding GM's policy on the use and installation of these components.

When a dealer is performing a repair under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, they are required to use only genuine GM or GM-approved parts and accessories. This applies to all warranty repairs, special policy repairs or any repairs paid for by GM. Parts and accessories advertised as being "the same" as parts manufactured by GM, but not sold through GM, do not qualify for use in warranty repairs, special policy repairs or any repairs paid for by GM.

During a warranty repair, if a GM original equipment part is not available through GMSPO, ACDelco® distributors, other GM dealers or approved sources, the dealer is to obtain comparable, non-GM parts and clearly indicate, in detail, on the repair order the circumstances surrounding why non-GM parts were used. The dealer must give customers written notice, prior to the sale or service, that such parts or accessories are not marketed or warranted by General Motors.

It should also be noted that dealers modifying new vehicles and installing equipment, parts and accessories obtained from sources not authorized by GM are responsible for complying with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Certain non-approved parts or assemblies, installed by the dealer or its agent not authorized by GM, may result in a change to the vehicle's design characteristics and may affect the vehicle's ability to conform to federal law. Dealers must fully understand that non-GM approved parts may not have been validated, tested or certified for use. This puts the dealer at risk for potential liability in the event of a part or vehicle failure. If a GM part failure occurs as the result of the installation or use on a non-GM approved part, the warranty will not be honored.

A good example of non-authorized modification of vehicles is the result of an ever increasing supply of after market devices available to the customer, which claim to increase the horsepower and torque of the Duramax� Diesel Engines. These include the addition of, but are not limited to one or more of the following modifications:
• Propane injection
• Nitrous oxide injection
• Additional modules (black boxes) that connect to the vehicle wiring systems
• Revised engine calibrations downloaded for the engine control module
• Calibration modules which connect to the vehicle diagnostic connector
• Modification to the engine turbocharger waste gate

Although the installation of these devices, or modification of vehicle components, can increase engine horsepower and torque, they may also negatively affect the engine emissions, reliability and/or durability. In addition, other powertrain components, such as transmissions, universal joints, drive shafts, and front/rear axle components, can be stressed beyond design safety limits by the installation of these devices.

General Motors does not support or endorse the use of devices or modifications that, when installed, increase the engine horsepower and torque.

These same policies apply as they relate to the use of non-GM accessories. Damage or failure from the use or installation of a non-GM accessory will not be covered under warranty. Failure resulting from the alteration or modification of the vehicle, including the cutting, welding or disconnecting of the vehicle's original equipment parts and components will void the warranty.

Additionally, dealers will NOT be reimbursed or compensated by GM in the event of any legal inquiry at either the local, state or federal level that results from the alteration or modification of a vehicle using non-GM approved parts or accessories.

Dealers should be especially cautious of accessory companies that claim the installation of their product will not void the factory warranty. Many times these companies have even given direction on how to quickly disassemble the accessory in an attempt to preclude the manufacturer from finding out that is has been installed.

Any suspect repairs should be reviewed by the Area Service Manager (District Service Manager in Canada) for appropriate repair direction. If it is decided that a goodwill repair is to be made on the vehicle, even with the installation of such non-GM approved components, the customer is to be made aware of General Motors position on this issue and is to sign the appropriate goodwill documentation required by General Motors.

It is imperative for dealers to understand that by installing such devices, they are jeopardizing not only the warranty coverage, but also the performance and reliability of the customer's vehicle.

CVP33
01-21-07, 07:45 AM
You have already found a good dealership... You just live too far away...

That is VERY true. James and the TEAM at Lindsay are the best I've EVER experienced. I can honestly say that the ONLY time I've ever felt like a customer and not "the defendant" when getting Cadillac Service. Lindsay does it right!:yup:

CVP33
01-21-07, 07:57 AM
Chrysler dealers around here suck. My dealer, Olsen Cadillac is good with mods and they kick ass. There's good and bad with both. Your hypothesis makes no sense to me. Seems like CVP just found a bad Caddy dealer. It's just that Chris has the biggest yap trap...:D

BigJim,

Mostly true. Service would've definitely helped my situation. The way Duke Cadillac in Suffolk, VA and Colonial Cadillac in Norfolk, VA handled my CTS-V's failures only made it worse. But the issue of "failures" still remain. I had not less than 8 mechanical failures in less than one year and spent over 45 days in service getting them repaired. The adversarial way in which GM and the service centers chose to handle these failures only made it worse.

My Chrysler, in stark contrast, has been virtually problem free. I did have an issue from the factory with a spoiler detaching partially - replaced no problems. I had a hesitation when redlining 1st geat (and who doesn't) - TSB reflashed TCM no problems. I had excessive brake dust (LOL - because that's what you say to get the new slotted rotors and pads TSB) - TSB replaced all rotors and pads with no problems.

I'm sure I got lucky with my 300C SRT-8 and I'm sure I got very unlucky with my 2 CTS-V's. Not all SRT-8's are great and problem free and not all CTS-V's are lemons. Having said that, all I can report is my experience.

2006 300C SRT-8
26,500 problem free miles and counting. Not one dash rattle, peeling NAV button, leaking radiator, sunvisor detaching, cracked bushing, blown slave cylinder, clutch stuck to the floor, broken parking brake, transmission failure, busted half shaft or rear differential explosion to be found. Thank GOD! (knocks on wood) Trust me, when you drive like I do, you need all the luck you can get.

And yes...I have a big mouth.

RJ_W
01-21-07, 10:10 AM
blown slave cylinder, clutch stuck to the floor, broken parking brake, transmission failure, busted half shaft or rear differential explosion to be found.

Of course not, the Mopar has a slushbox with torque management, if it had a 6m, who knows? :)

thebigjimsho
01-21-07, 01:53 PM
BigJim,

Mostly true. Service would've definitely helped my situation. The way Duke Cadillac in Suffolk, VA and Colonial Cadillac in Norfolk, VA handled my CTS-V's failures only made it worse. But the issue of "failures" still remain. I had not less than 8 mechanical failures in less than one year and spent over 45 days in service getting them repaired. The adversarial way in which GM and the service centers chose to handle these failures only made it worse.

My Chrysler, in stark contrast, has been virtually problem free. I did have an issue from the factory with a spoiler detaching partially - replaced no problems. I had a hesitation when redlining 1st geat (and who doesn't) - TSB reflashed TCM no problems. I had excessive brake dust (LOL - because that's what you say to get the new slotted rotors and pads TSB) - TSB replaced all rotors and pads with no problems.

I'm sure I got lucky with my 300C SRT-8 and I'm sure I got very unlucky with my 2 CTS-V's. Not all SRT-8's are great and problem free and not all CTS-V's are lemons. Having said that, all I can report is my experience.

2006 300C SRT-8
26,500 problem free miles and counting. Not one dash rattle, peeling NAV button, leaking radiator, sunvisor detaching, cracked bushing, blown slave cylinder, clutch stuck to the floor, broken parking brake, transmission failure, busted half shaft or rear differential explosion to be found. Thank GOD! (knocks on wood) Trust me, when you drive like I do, you need all the luck you can get.

And yes...I have a big mouth.No need to explain. I'm very familiar with the crap you had to endure. What I said was lighthearted. With almost any marque, there is good and bad. You found bad, I'm fortunate.

And I'm glad you acknowledged your big-mouthedness...:duck::bouncy: