: Wheels Question....

BlackDog!
01-12-07, 06:03 PM
I know, I know - another question about wheels for the V - but I'm gonna ask it anyway...

I've got about 14K on my SECOND set of F1's and I am DONE with these tires!:thehand:

SO, I've been looking around and thinking "if I'm gonna change the tires I might as well look at some cooler wheels too" right? Well, I've opened a huge can of worms! I've looked at all the stuff on the FAQ - thanks Reed, paypal should be coming soon, i know i've been tardy cause i've used the faq a lot! - and the $700 a wheel stuff is just too rich for me (mainly cause I wouldn't be able to get it past the wife!)

So, I've found a lot of 6x115 bolt pattern wheels online but, they're all for TRUCKS!?! - So, my question is - what's the difference between truck wheels and car wheels? Is it just the bolt pattern? Or is there some fundamental difference in speed rating, like tires, or is there something else I'm missing?

Any help will be appreciated....:worship:

svassh
01-12-07, 06:12 PM
I believe the size of the V's large brake rotors and calipers cause most of the issues.

wooderson
01-13-07, 10:03 AM
Truck wheels are heavy and they detract from the performance of any car or truck. Wheels for the V are expensive because no manufacturer makes a six lug configuration for a high performance car in mass quanities. My opinion is to make the car go faster and stop better. Large, heavy wheels do the exact opposite.

HiTechRV
01-13-07, 11:47 AM
Right - every pound of rotating mass added to a car hurts acceleration and braking by the equivalent of 4-11 times the same number of pounds of sprung mass. A set of wheels that are 10 pounds heavier per wheel cost you the equivalent of at least 160 lbs of extra mass in the car, and possibly over 400 lbs.

When I buy new wheels and tires I always go for something strong but lighter.

As an aside this is the biggest reason to think about non runflat tires - non runflats weigh much less.

The Tony Show
01-13-07, 03:22 PM
I recommend chrome 22's.

I'm a big fan.