: Sound off on best TIRES - tire research summary

heavypedal
01-12-07, 05:54 PM
Alright guys (and girls)

Need your input. Its new tire time. Yeah, you all have talked about it before (and I have read all the old posts on tires), but every one of us can live with or can't live without different things. Below is what I have found... but need you to sound off.... if I am off the deep end on what I have read(Everything you read on the internet is the truth... :lies: )

So respond and keep me sane....and everyone else updated.

Wants:
Okay, for me I want the happy-medium. I want a mid-range priced tire that offers great performance, has the least noise, and will give me good mileage. :rolleyes: I know, it may be nonexistant.

Currently Have:
I currently have the AVON M550AS that came with the car when I bought it with 8,000 miles on it. The short of it, I don't like them. They are a 380 AA A tire that retail around $140 on tire rack. I am at 18,000 miles and have worn them down quite a bit. They get real loud when braking, the track like crazy when hitting changes in pavement, wobble (though balanced, tire pressure changed to find right settings, etc).... just not impressed with them.

Summary of my tire research:

Michelin Pilot Sport 2s (PS2s)
Sounds like the best damn tire on the planet for our Vs, too expensive for me. Forgot the rest of the great details you guys have provided on these tires when I started adding up the price. Call it monetary A.D.D.

Goodyear GSD3s
Sounds like a great tire for my (above) qualifications, but reports of not getting round tires, road force balancing not working, and the higher price has steered me away

BFG KDWs
Very popular tire for LSx cars, cool tread, but many complaints on noise had steered me away.

Yokohama AVS ES100
Love yokohama tires, but complaints of these getting absurdly load when they start to wear down has steered me away.

Falken RT615
Too much of a racing tire for the work2home2gym2home driving I'll do over the next year, but maybe on the next round.

Am I forgetting anything else...I forget

So what the hell am I looking at then when I just named some of the most popular tires on this forum? Here is my numbered list...

1. the new Falken FK452s 280 AA A around $140
they are inexpensive, 280 rating gives me the grip and better longevity than the 140 or 220s, have a rim guard, low noise, brand new technology

2. Yokohama S4 400 AA A around $180
quieter, longer life with 400 rating but give up some grip, good reports

3. Bridgestone RE960AS 400 AA A around $180
quieter, longer life with 400 rating but give up some grip, good reports

Okay....that may have been too much. Your turn...Survey says....

nikon
01-12-07, 07:22 PM
well, I've got a set of bfg kdw2's sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted...just gotta wear the GSD3's down a bit more :lildevil: either way, my buddy had a set on his M3 and I heard 0 road noise...I too read that they got loud, but when I started looking at the cars that got bad road noise, I saw they were all "the lower line" I dunno less insulation and that stuff....and driving them on that car they were sticky, lasted a long time for his driving habits...so thats why theres a set in my garage...Ill let you know when I finally mount them....as for the GSD3's I've only got 12k on mine...and for the most part they were highway miles and "some" fun miles on the weekend with the ever so often 90mph on-ramp corners...but, to me I'm not too impressed, they've been balanced 3-4 times and I still get vibration in the wheel...but I've never had good luck with GY tires, so I was biased going into it...could'nt pass up 300$ installed though :p I guess other people can chime in about the falkens...they were my other choice...but decided with the BFG's simply because I drove a car with them on and liked em'

edit: just to clarify my GSD3's are now just about dead w/12k on them.

bjohnso0
01-12-07, 08:00 PM
BFG KDW's
GOODS
great wear, excellent dry traction, great wet traction (.8g in the rain), best bang for the buck

One bad, a little noisy due to the aggressive tread pattern

I got mine at Costco. I had to order them on their web site and wait about a week and a half for them, but it was well worth the wait. I can't remember the exact price, but it was under $200 a piece. That includes shipping, mounting, road hazard, and lifetime balance.

svassh
01-12-07, 08:15 PM
Goodyear RSA Runflats - great traction wet or dry and good mileage (check an earlier post about their longevity)

Reasonable price to boot.

ssmith100
01-12-07, 08:51 PM
Spend the extra money and get the Michelin PS2's. Best tire I have ever owned. I've got almost 30,000 on the set on my car and I've never got that type of mileage out of a tire:yup: .

Shane

NC STS-V
01-12-07, 08:52 PM
Goodyear RSA Runflats - great traction wet or dry and good mileage (check an earlier post about their longevity)

Reasonable price to boot.

I have to respectfully disagree on the RS-A runflats. I've had the stock F1 EMT's (great dry traction, average wet traction, HORRIBLE tread life), GSD3's (above average dry traction, average wet traction, average tread life (14k miles), I did have balance/vibration problems), and now RSA EMT's. I have about 1k miles on the RSA's and the wet traction is very good, the dry traction is below average at best. At first I thought it was that they were new and needed breaking in, then maybe because it was cold (30-40 F), but now with 1k miles and the tempatures in the 60's the dry traction sucks.

Everyone looks for different things in a tire, but if dry traction is an important factor I would stay away from the RSA EMT's.

Ron

willsctsv
01-12-07, 09:23 PM
I blew threw the EMT's, and went to GSD3's.. Not bad, quieter and even did a few track days on them. Pretty good all around tire, took a bit longer to wear them out than the runflats.
Now I have on Bridgestone Potenza RE01R's.. In cold weather they are OK, need to be a little more careful.

But, in the summer these tires are like slicks. The traction is unbelieveable. No wheel hop just a little burnout and off you go.

The GSD3's I could smoke for all 1st gear. Nothing would hold back this beast especially with my mods..

The RE01R's would spin and then the car would actually bog and take off like a rocket.
I couldn't believe it, yes! BOG!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sy1172
01-12-07, 09:33 PM
Personally I love Nitto 555, awesome tire, at least on my Audi. Looks great, cost is reasonalbe, quiet...see nittotire.com.

CVP33
01-12-07, 09:50 PM
Never had a bad day in my GY GSD3's. Great in the rain, quiet and capable handler. GY does make bad tires though. I never liked the F1's or the RSA's. The Falken's, and I've owned nearly every model, are great for the money. 451's were the closest to the GSD3's. If you like the handling, then don't waste your time with ZE512's or ST 115's. Same thing for the Avons. Too hard.

I just installed the Falken 452's tonight. Only got to put 30 miles on them so far but they were very stable and quiet. The 452's take a set just as good as the F1's, if not better. They are a little louder when you break traction though. The F1's kind of buzz, the Falkens definitely squeal. No more stealth burnouts at the stop light. I'll let you know how they wear.

trekster
01-12-07, 10:18 PM
Man, I already need to get new tires, this is going to be my 4th set of wheels in only 25,000 miles.

Rich H
01-13-07, 12:17 AM
I have to respectfully disagree on the RS-A runflats. I've had the stock F1 EMT's (great dry traction, average wet traction, HORRIBLE tread life), GSD3's (above average dry traction, average wet traction, average tread life (14k miles), I did have balance/vibration problems), and now RSA EMT's. I have about 1k miles on the RSA's and the wet traction is very good, the dry traction is below average at best. At first I thought it was that they were new and needed breaking in, then maybe because it was cold (30-40 F), but now with 1k miles and the tempatures in the 60's the dry traction sucks.

Everyone looks for different things in a tire, but if dry traction is an important factor I would stay away from the RSA EMT's.

Ron

You call 30 to 40F cold? Try -10 to -20 where we will be sitting here tonight. Remember you are comparing apples to oranges. I burned through 2 sets of F1 supercars in 14,000 miles but couldn't trust them below freezing. They are made for warm temperatures and dry pavement. The RSA EMTs I have on now do just great below zero. Ride is still compliant and the traction is reasonable. Since they are an all-season tire they have compromises but I trust them more than the F1s in ANY driving condition.

DILLIGAF
01-13-07, 12:20 AM
The 452's can't be beat IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joshdctsv
01-13-07, 12:41 AM
C'mon... you drive a V. What's $400 more when you're already spending $750? Get the PS2s

My GSD3s were just never right. I got so used to the flat spotting I forgot it was a problem! PS2s have been great so far for me.

mike041357
01-13-07, 12:47 AM
C'mon... you drive a V. What's $400 more when you're already spending $750? Get the PS2s

My GSD3s were just never right. I got so used to the flat spotting I forgot it was a problem! PS2s have been great so far for me.

Bingo! From F1s to GSD3s to PS2s. THe PS2s are smooth like butta. Too bad they're waiting to be mounted again in the spring. I can throw better snow rooter tails with the SnowSports, though.

DILLIGAF
01-13-07, 12:47 AM

Not a money issue,I have had great luck with Falkins.I have 40,000 miles on the V and this is my 4th set of tires,i suppose the money could add up.I really doubt if you rode in my car that you could justify the extra 400 dollars.:thumbsup:

CVP33
01-13-07, 11:30 AM
I'm with you. I go through tires frequently and wanted to try them all. The Falken's have been VERY good to me, in handling, ride, wear and price. Price was last on my list, but of course I'd rather save $400 then have to go earn it. My next tires will be the New Nitto Invo's. Anyone heard anything about these?

Just a reminder, I'm driving a 4,000+lb. behemoth, not that panty waste sedan you guys drive. LOL.

CIWS
01-13-07, 11:47 AM
Just a reminder, I'm driving a 4,000+lb. behemoth, not that panty waste sedan you guys drive. LOL.

By the time I place my ass in a V it's a 4000+ lb sedan. But there's nothing wrong if you like your "women" big :D

CVP33
01-13-07, 01:11 PM
By the time I place my ass in a V it's a 4000+ lb sedan. But there's nothing wrong if you like your "women" big :D

:thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
01-13-07, 01:20 PM
Just a reminder, I'm driving a 4,000+lb. behemoth, not that panty waste sedan you guys drive. LOL.The definition of a panty waste sedan is an auto-only one.

heavypedal
01-13-07, 01:36 PM
I was waiting for big jim to chime in. Any advice on tires given my wants?

heavypedal
01-13-07, 01:39 PM
[quote=joshdctsv;937822]C'mon... you drive a V. What's $400 more when you're already spending $750? Get the PS2s [quote]

400$ How about a KARS stage 2, or some other performance mod. Or a really good night out :bouncy:

heavypedal
01-13-07, 01:49 PM
Never had a bad day in my GY GSD3's. Great in the rain, quiet and capable handler. GY does make bad tires though. I never liked the F1's or the RSA's. The Falken's, and I've owned nearly every model, are great for the money. 451's were the closest to the GSD3's. If you like the handling, then don't waste your time with ZE512's or ST 115's. Same thing for the Avons. Too hard.

I just installed the Falken 452's tonight. Only got to put 30 miles on them so far but they were very stable and quiet. The 452's take a set just as good as the F1's, if not better. They are a little louder when you break traction though. The F1's kind of buzz, the Falkens definitely squeal. No more stealth burnouts at the stop light. I'll let you know how they wear.

CVP....looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks man.

T

thebigjimsho
01-13-07, 02:40 PM
I was waiting for big jim to chime in. Any advice on tires given my wants?Even though the Falkens are near race tire grip, the price is just too good. But if you want something more sedate, you'll be stepping up in price with pretty much whatever you choose.

The Dunlop SP Sport Maxx is a very good rain tire. Very good. And the Tire Rack has them on special for VERY cheap $$. They have decent grip and are very comfortable.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Dunlop&model=SP+Sport+Maxx&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=445YR8SPMAXXXL

The new Continental ContiSportContact3 could be a very good tire. But it's new and non-RFT. I just don't know if it will be as good a dry tire as the F1s.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Continental&model=ContiSportContact+3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=445YR8SPC3XL

Now, if you want a RFT tire the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A comes in the right size.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Continental&model=ContiSportContact+3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=445YR8SPC3XL

heavypedal
01-13-07, 02:47 PM
Thanks Big Jim... will size them all up and report back what I end up with.

Hey, I've been thinking about increasing the width of the tire all the way around. I've see a lot of folks here going to 275/40 or 285/40 in the rear, but I don't want to give up the ability to full rotate. I know it messes up the speedo and mileage. But has anybody gone to 275/40 all the way around? Hell, is it possible without rubbing?

WHYTRY
01-13-07, 02:51 PM
I like nitto 555 cheap, and sticky what more do you need

thebigjimsho
01-13-07, 03:21 PM
Thanks Big Jim... will size them all up and report back what I end up with.

Hey, I've been thinking about increasing the width of the tire all the way around. I've see a lot of folks here going to 275/40 or 285/40 in the rear, but I don't want to give up the ability to full rotate. I know it messes up the speedo and mileage. But has anybody gone to 275/40 all the way around? Hell, is it possible without rubbing?No, I think the widest you can do up front is a 255. I believe 265 is going to rub. If you want, a 255/40 tire is probably your best bet if you want wider.

CVP33
01-13-07, 04:02 PM
HP - I did the 255's all 'round with no issues. BJim is right, 265's up front will rub during spirited driving. I upped my SRT-8 too, from 245 to 255 all 'round. Only draw back so far on the Falken's is the squealy nature. I don't want all the noise when I'm layin' it down, just the smoke.

BJim - SRT-8's don't suck they blow..................your doors off. :D

heavypedal
01-13-07, 07:12 PM
HP - I did the 255's all 'round with no issues. BJim is right, 265's up front will rub during spirited driving. I upped my SRT-8 too, from 245 to 255 all 'round. Only draw back so far on the Falken's is the squealy nature. I don't want all the noise when I'm layin' it down, just the smoke. :D

Thanks for the feedback CVP. Thinking I am going 255s all the way around. As for which tire :eek: hell I don't know yet. Not liking the squealy nature.... I had thost Michelin MXM4s that came on the acura CL Type S.... horrendous tire. Talk about squealing like a little girl and handling horrible.

Okay, heading back for more research.... and some beer:alchi: Shiner anyone?

heavypedal
01-13-07, 07:13 PM
And CVP....where is Cheasapeake. You close to VIR? (you see where I am going with this)

JimmyH
01-13-07, 08:59 PM
I have GSD3's on my Maxima's summer wheels, 235/40-18. Phenomenal dry grip, and very good wet grip. I can really have at it in the rain. Completely changed the handling of my car (my understeering front drive car now oversteers at the limit with these tires.) Not sure what they do the V.

But... they are fragile. In 10000 miles I got sidewall bubbles in three different tires on three different wheels. One was a minor bump, one was a moderate pothole, one was a deep pothole.

Right now I have Michelin Pilot Exalto AS 235/45-17 on the car. Below average all around. I am reserving judgement though until I see how they age.

By the way, I cannot wait until I am having these discussion after I buy a V!

hurley64
01-23-07, 03:29 AM
Just checking to see what you decided to go with and if anyone had any info on the Yokohama Advan Sport?

DaveBlk
01-27-07, 11:07 PM
Pirelli p ZERO NERO great tire in 275 40 on the rear great traction and looks good!!!:thumbsup:

Vdrenaline
01-28-07, 04:06 AM
I got the Avon Tech M550 A/S all-season, non-runflats and like them.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+M550+A%2FS&partnum=445WR8M550&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=1&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&minSpeedRating=W

Did not get a spare tire but do keep a tire repair kit, an air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat on hand. Have not had a puncture.

The Avons were really cheap ($148 per tire I think?). They are decent in the snow and great in the rain. In the dry they have good but not amazing grip. They break traction sooner than the stock F1's but the breakaway is progressive and predictable. From a standstill the V can spin the tires more easily than the F1's. The only area where I'm disappointed is in panic braking from 100+ MPH where they are just a little squirrly. It is not a problem panic stopping, you just need to be aware they aren't as good as F1's. For the price, I am really satisfied with them, especially because they work so well in all weather conditions. I plan to buy another set when these wear out. That's the best endorsement you can give a product.

Hokie99
01-29-07, 02:54 PM
I frequent the M3/M5 forums and the General Exclaim UHP seems all the rage. They are made by Continental and are super cheap ($115/ea). Not sure if anyone here has tried them, but they are Ultra High Performance Summer. So if you live where it snows, I wouldn't chance it.

Just something to consider. I most likely will try them in the near future. At this price, and reading all the reviews, seems like a good deal.

Florian
01-29-07, 05:08 PM
LOVE my GSD3's 20K+ miles and probably another 10K in em....will buy another set of GSD3s without hesitation..

F

CHP N-V
01-30-07, 03:43 AM
I have a question... If you have a non-runflat and a run flat on the other side just in the front, will it cause my car to pull to the non-run-flat side... tires the same but one is a run flat and the other is not...

heavypedal
01-30-07, 10:20 AM
Hurley, I ended up with the Falken FK452s... find out more here at this post...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/97057-falken-fk452s.html

No info on the Advan Sports, but I did check out the AVS ES100s and people said they got crazy loud (way more than normal) as they wore down.

Vdrenaline....wait till your Avon's work themselves down... you'll see what I was talking about. Overall, I think they were a pretty good tire....just better choices out there.

CHP N-V.... doesn't sound like a good situation. I think you know what we are going to say... match em up. At least on sides. You can roll with different tires on front than back, but it is not sounding very balanced rolling with different tires left to right.

T

rand49er
01-30-07, 10:58 AM
I got the Avon Tech M550 A/S all-season, non-runflats and like them. ...

LOVE my GSD3's ... will buy another set of GSD3s without hesitation. ...

Yeah those.

kgoch
01-30-07, 11:04 AM
If you have run flats on one side and non-runflats on the other the car will pull toward the nonrunflat side because the sidewall on the runflats are stiffer. DON'T DO IT.

tweeter81
01-30-07, 12:32 PM
I have had really good luck with my Toyo T1-Rs. I compare their dry grip to the F1s but the sidewalls are noticebly softer than the F1s if they are not inflated enough (and to some degree even if they are inflated enough). But...I have a trackday (3 - 20 minute sessions) on them and they held up pretty well. I felt alot of confidence in them and they break loose in a MUCH more predictable and friendly manner than the F1s. One last note, it's not that important but I feel that they are just about the best looking tire (sidewall markings and tread design) on the market. They seem to be pretty quiet after 7000 miles and they definitely wear better than the F1s (probably equivalent to the GS-D3s).

ctsvflorida
01-30-07, 12:40 PM
If you have run flats on one side and non-runflats on the other the car will pull toward the nonrunflat side because the sidewall on the runflats are stiffer. DON'T DO IT.

The run flat weighs more too to make it pull even more to that side! Not a good idea!

Holmes815
01-30-07, 07:17 PM
I have the Avons on right now for the winter, but went with the GSD3's after the runflats. I don't think there's a street tire out there (non-runflat) that can touch the F1's as far as dry grip, but I do think they're a big contributor to our drivetrain problem because of the strain from all that extra rotating mass (super thick sidewall) and obviously the irs induced wheel hop. My GSD3's have less than 4k on them but I'm already semi-obssesed with the PS2's for some reason!!

--James