: Tuner-style lug nuts...

sprucegoose
03-12-04, 12:55 PM
Anyone ever use a set of this style lug-nuts?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-1&productId=184839&mediaCode=ZX&appId=436352

I ordered a set from Summitracing.com last night, but whitney had a better pic of them there. I just got a set of rims that needed the closed-end nuts so I thought I would try these. I think Gorilla is a pretty good brand aren't they? Didn't want to go for the ricer blue or red version. According to summit, they are goung to be offering a gold set soon,would have looked nice with those SLS rims on my Eldo. Thinking about machining/engraving my own centercaps as well. Being a Toolmaker and having access to CNC machines has it's beni's! :D

hcvone
03-12-04, 01:35 PM
I have used these and I know many people that use them. :)

beemer2k
03-12-04, 07:49 PM
Back when I was trying to mount Jaguar wheels on a Taurus SHO (bad mistake) I bought a set of these. They look real nice. As a matter of fact, I still have 15 of them (virtually no wear, because the wheel mounting experiment only lasted a few days). I would assume that the Taurus studs are the same size as the Caddy. I know you just bought some, but if you want to send some of those back, I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. Can't be more than 2 or 3 bucks. Let me know. By the way, if you don't want them, I'll offer the same deal to anyone else on the forum. :)

sprucegoose
03-12-04, 10:23 PM
Back when I was trying to mount Jaguar wheels on a Taurus SHO (bad mistake) I bought a set of these. They look real nice. As a matter of fact, I still have 15 of them (virtually no wear, because the wheel mounting experiment only lasted a few days). I would assume that the Taurus studs are the same size as the Caddy. I know you just bought some, but if you want to send some of those back, I'll give you mine for the cost of shipping. Can't be more than 2 or 3 bucks. Let me know. By the way, if you don't want them, I'll offer the same deal to anyone else on the forum. :)

Wow, thanks for the offer... I did order a complete set, but I am planning on putting these on my '70 Firebird too. Do you know the thread size? I think the Firebird is 1/2"-20 or something like that. Will check tomorrow. My Eldorado is 12mm x 1.5 pitch. Don't know if all Caddy's use that, but I'm pretty sure from early 90's and up do.

So... what happened with the Jag wheels on the SHO? You didn't lose one on the highway did you? I had that happen on my '73 Firebird years ago when I tried a set of those Uni-lug style mags that had slotted holes. You had a washer stack that "supposed" to keep them tight, well this is not so! :rant2: I felt some huge vibes, and as I pulled to the side of the road the rear end came down on the tire. It had snapped all but one of my studs off, and I was stranded! :helpless: At least it didn't wreck the car or cause a crash...

hcvone
03-13-04, 07:51 AM
I would check, Ford usually uses a different size thread than GM

beemer2k
03-13-04, 09:48 PM
Wow, thanks for the offer... I did order a complete set, but I am planning on putting these on my '70 Firebird too. Do you know the thread size? I think the Firebird is 1/2"-20 or something like that. Will check tomorrow. My Eldorado is 12mm x 1.5 pitch. Don't know if all Caddy's use that, but I'm pretty sure from early 90's and up do.

So... what happened with the Jag wheels on the SHO? You didn't lose one on the highway did you? I had that happen on my '73 Firebird years ago when I tried a set of those Uni-lug style mags that had slotted holes. You had a washer stack that "supposed" to keep them tight, well this is not so! :rant2: I felt some huge vibes, and as I pulled to the side of the road the rear end came down on the tire. It had snapped all but one of my studs off, and I was stranded! :helpless: At least it didn't wreck the car or cause a crash...
My buddy works for a Jag dealership and got me rims and tires off of an XJ8. They are the same bolt pattern, but the lug holes on the Jag rims were to big for the studs on the Taurus. I also needed wheel spacers to make the rims fit the hub. To make a long story short, I couldn't get everything hub-centric. I lost a few studs and had a few scary moments on the freeway before I realized that the stock rims were good enough for me. Those rims did look nice, though. :D

sprucegoose
03-13-04, 10:27 PM
Yup, that is not a good feeling is it! :helpless:

Well, checked the Firebird threads and they are 7/16-20. Let me know if this is what you have there, I would definitely be interested. I don't know much about Fords lugs, never owned one myself...

sprucegoose
03-19-04, 08:54 AM
Finally recieved these lug nuts from Summit Racing last night, and had to install them right away of course! Slushy/salty roads where a big concern, as the old exposed end lug nuts where already rusting... :helpless: The new BFG Traction T/A tires are awsome improvement in this weather!

The new Tuner style lugs look very nice with those wheels and tires. Will have to take a pic or two to show before/after with the new shoes. Really updates the car's looks dramatically! :bouncy:

sprucegoose
04-02-04, 09:52 PM
Well, finally got around to cleaning up the car and getting a couple of pictures. Not the best pictures, just snapshot that are scanned in. I really like the improvements in looks, including something as small as the lug nuts. :coolgleam What do you guys think?