: "MAC Daddy" Wire Wheels

psychosis
01-11-07, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have any feedback or good/bad experience in regards to the quality/durability of those "Mac Daddy" new aftermarket wire wheels they have for sale on Ebay for Cadillacs?

They claim to be high quality but I was wondering about potential balance problems, leaks, weakness, poor chrome quality, and if they were durable enough to remain true and balanced on these large Caddys? I was considering them for my 95 Fleetwood. I remember years back you had to stay away from the wires because they just didn't hold up for anything but s..low riders.

Thanks in Advance.

PT

caddy's home
01-12-07, 07:45 AM
i looked at them also and almost brought them but chose Dayton's 70 spokes direct bolts instead. Dayton has a three year warranty on everything. also they are more original looking for an '1989 Bro.' than Mac Daddy. i think Mac Daddy's are for 50's and 60's Cadillacs.

Benzilla
01-12-07, 11:13 AM
Do you have a pic of those 70 spoke Dayton's? I don't think I've ever seen 70 spoke. I've seen the straight laced 80 spokes though. Do the 70's look like original wires?

caddy's home
01-16-07, 05:36 PM
this is CaddymanTom response to my post about wire wheel. Check out his wheels, he is a member. Then go to www.Daytonwirewheels.com
and look at there direct botls croos well lace.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have a set of original wire wheels on my 1987. I purchased mine on e-bay. They were and still are in perfect shape. I have seen quite a few sets on there lately. I am not sure if you want to keep it stock or have a custom look. If you want to keep it close to the original style go with the lower number of spokes, if you want a more custom look of with the higher number of spokes.
Just to give you a little information on the wheels. There are two styles of center caps. The first is black surround that has and octogon shape with the Cadillac emblem. These were produced from 1978 to 1979. 1980 - 1992 have red surround with a round shape. I paid about $800.00 for my set on e-bay and the center caps where NOS and were still in original package when I recieved them. Here is a pic on my car with the wire wheels.
Hope this helps
Tall Tom
Palm Springs, CA

CaddymanTom
01-16-07, 08:03 PM
Well thanks for the endorsement. I too looked at the Mac Daddy Wheels on E-bay. Luckly I have a friend who bought a set for his 68 Deville convertible. They look great and seem to be of high quality. He has not had any leak problems. They have been on his car for about a year now and he is very happy with them. As for putting them on a later model Cadillac, that is a matter of taste. I dont care for the larger center cap. Please remember that this is jut my opinion. I am keeping my 1987 Brougham original. If I had a 1976 I would surely consider them for it since Cadillac did not offer a true wire wheel option for that year. Just my 2 cents worth :bouncy:

Tall Tom
Palm Springs, CA

psychosis
01-17-07, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. After looking at a number of them online I have to agree putting wires on a late model Fleetwood may be getting a bit away from the styling of the vehicle, particularly mine which is a triple Black 95 and at least to me has more of a "Sleek Presidential Limo" look than the older and much more ostentacious (and equally beautiful) large Cadillacs. The older Fleetwoods and Devilles look more at home with some classic wires and wide white walls there is no doubt. I thought about having Capital Wheels polish and chrome plate a set of the original machine turned alloys (about $225 per wheel including a remanufactured wheel) but I'm considering some 18 inch bling with 235/55s also.......but I like the white walls too......... I'm still sleeping on it I guess.