: Great article for American car lovers

The Tony Show
01-11-07, 03:20 PM
If you're like me and tired of the media and public bashing American car companies, take a gander at this article:

American Perception Problems of the American Auto Industry (http://www.overthehillcarpeople.com/themonthlytuneup.htm)

This guy provides some great, little known facts about the "bulletproof", "reliable" and "quality" imports, as well as how American tax dollars are being spent to build foreign car factories here that funnel money back overseas.

It's a good read.

Lord Cadillac
01-11-07, 03:47 PM
...too bad only people who come to the CTS-V forum here will read it...

svassh
01-11-07, 03:51 PM
Good read, however at this point I'm skeptical of any 'internet' numbers posted about anything. The problem with numbers and 'the media' is you can find numbers to substaniate any view point you want.

I'm with you though 'BUY AMERICAN' unfortunately the only foreign car I've ever owned was also the best built - 95 Infiniti Q45.

The Tony Show
01-11-07, 03:52 PM
I've owned plenty of imports, mostly Mazda. As I've gotten older and more active in politics, the economy and the stock market, buying American means a lot more to me.

Not to mention the fact that I sell Cadillacs, but hey- who's counting?

:D

Woody_MI
01-11-07, 04:12 PM
Great read.

As Svassh pointed out, you can present numbers in anyway that supports your "cause". Like the writer's quote from Business Week stating that gas consumption was up 10% in the first 6 months of 2006 compared to 2000??? How many more drivers were added during those 6 years? I'm sure it wasn't 10%, but you can't say that fuel economy was the factor as the article would lead you to believe.

I've only owned 2 imports, as POS Honda (to be fair, it was used, worn out, and just a temporary car), and a Saab 93 Areo (Great car BTW, and technically a domestic car since it's owned 100% by GM). I must be the luckiest person when it comes to cars as I've never had a problem with any of the cars that I've owned (except the worn out Honda). I agree that the media is not being responsible with its powers by doing its part in promoting domestic cars, but I also agree that the imports have helped to improve the quality of domestics.

Wow, I'm just all over the place with this post, so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead :). Need to stop multi-tasking and either do this, or my work.

Thanks for the link Tony!

speedemon9r
01-11-07, 05:16 PM
Good article

Fotunately the only foreign made car I've ever owned was an '89 Ferrari 328gtsi. I figure Italian cars are the exemption to the rule :)

All others were/are all amercan muscle.

The Tony Show
01-12-07, 12:09 PM
Shamelss bump, because more people need to see this. Fellas, link to this on other car forums you may visit please.

Small groups of people like us need to do what we can to reverse the bias against the American Auto Industry. Every little bit helps.

CIWS
01-12-07, 12:50 PM
...too bad only people who come to the CTS-V forum here will read it...

But Sal you know only the best come the V forums and read :D

rand49er
01-12-07, 01:25 PM
If anyone here knows me at all knows that I'm already too biased to comment.

Thanks, Tony, for posting this. ;)

onebadcad
01-12-07, 01:52 PM
I own 2 GMs (V&C6)and a Ford(Expedition). I do not buy them because they are made by an American company, I buy them because they suit my needs, tastes and budget. I do not look at imports, as I like what GM and Ford offers, and doubt that will ever change. I am very aware of the vehicles Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, etc... offer, but none fit me. I do not have to justify my purchases to anyone, but do grow very tired of others who say they will never buy American, and have no knowledge of the facts or surveys which track manufacturer performance. My wife has driven four Ford SUVs for the past 13 years, drove them for over 300,000 miles and never had anything break. Consumers should have a objective criteria when looking to buy a vehicle, but it does not happen with most who enjoy bashing GM and Ford.

Now for the joke of the day, "What do you call a three-year old Lexus?"
Answer, a Toyota.:D