: Powdercoating Question

Jon
01-11-07, 12:48 PM
Is it possible to sandblast a rim and then powdercoat it without unmounting the tire?

I'm asking b/c my rims got repainted under warranty. My dealer just called, and according to them, the tires were never unmounted, but they did sandblast them and then powdercoat.

svassh
01-11-07, 12:51 PM
Sounds extremely HALF ACE

Jon
01-11-07, 01:04 PM
Nevermind, the dealer didnt remove the tires. The rim refinishing company did.

vseries
01-11-07, 01:55 PM
DId they actually powdercoat the rim or just repaint it?? Are our V rims powdercoated?? I would have guessed no but I may be wrong.

Jon
01-11-07, 02:18 PM
DId they actually powdercoat the rim or just repaint it?? Are our V rims powdercoated?? I would have guessed no but I may be wrong.
I asked for powdercoating and they said it was powdercoated

kgoch
01-11-07, 04:01 PM
Our rims are painted. Powder coating is much better and easier to clean.

vseries
01-11-07, 04:28 PM
Thats what I thought, I dont know of any oem companies that powdercoat from the factory.

Drago
01-11-07, 06:44 PM
VSeries,

Acutally many OEM wheel manufacturers powdercoat their wheels. Some exceptions were colors common to BMW, Mecedes known as supersilver. Those were color liquid applications but still had powdercoat for the clearcoat. The silver on the V wheel from memory is very similar to the supersilver and would likely be painted / powder as in the previous example. PPG and others were working on powder blends to mimic the luster of the liquid but had not been successful before I left the industry 2001. Powdercoating is far more durable given proper curing.

vseries
01-11-07, 09:18 PM
YOu are correct about it being more durable as I wish the V's wheels were coated but my experience comes from my last vehicle (g35 coupe with sport pkg 18's) they seemed to be a light silver paint over a darker colored backround to create more depth which looked fantastic but I believed they were painted, I also work for Jeep,Chrysler and Subaru and have yet to see any of their wheels be powdercoated with the exception of the BBS STi Wheel . Im gauging this by how easily the wheels scratch and the thickness of the coats on these wheels in particular.I can see how some of the higher line vehicles may do it but the majority do not.

1QUICKV
01-11-07, 10:38 PM
They painted your rim, they could only sandblast and paint the rim. They would have to de-mount the tire to powercoat. Why would you want them to powercoat the one rim any way, to me that would brother the fcuk out of me.

Jon
01-11-07, 11:00 PM
They painted your rim, they could only sandblast and paint the rim. They would have to de-mount the tire to powercoat. Why would you want them to powercoat the one rim any way, to me that would brother the fcuk out of me.
I talked to the rim refinishing company. They unmounted my tires, not the dealer.

And they did all four.

Jon
01-12-07, 11:13 AM
Ok, just spoke to my dealer and the wheel refinishing company.

Dealer got the rims back, but the back sides weren't painted, so they sent them back to have that done. It was in fact powdercoated.

My dealer kicks ass. They've been nothing but great to me.

Drago
01-12-07, 05:44 PM
Vseries,

Since you are familiar with the Jeep / Chrysler products consider this, the wheels on the WJ (Jeep Grand Cherokee), Chrysler Grand Caravans, Dodge Dakota were all powder color / powder clear or liquid color / powder clear (depending on the model) up through 2001 when I changed employment and left the aluminum wheel supplier. Most manufacturers have gone this route due to higher transfer efficiencies, fewer VOC's going up the exhaust stack, and added durability. Appearances can be deceiving. Different color powder primers can be used to help smooth cast surface imperfections amd change the final color tone.

vseries
01-13-07, 02:07 PM
I wasnt aware of "powder clear" but if in fact that is considered powder coating then you are correct and I am wrong, So in the case of the WJ wheel which is aluminum with a clearcoat you would consider that powdercoated right?

Drago
01-13-07, 02:45 PM
As you probably know powder coating is defined by the application of a powder paint attracted to the target, a wheel in this instance, by an electrostatic charge. The powder is typically cured using a traditional gas fired oven or in high volume production medium wave IR ovens. I can't speak for current WJ production, but in the past it was definately powder clearcoat.

Unfortunately most automakers did not require the entire wheel to be painted resulting in the same type 'overspray look into the windows of the wheel and onto the backside. Mercedes, BMW, and a few select others required 100% coverage and a high degree of surface preparation to ensure that the face of the wheel showed no waves or pits. A real PITA but they did look really good.