: oil monitor

caddyVkid
01-11-07, 04:54 AM
I recently got my car and the oil monitor in my computer system is saying that my oil is at like 20% life, then I notice a 'reset' button on the side of the screen.

My question is, is this monitor taking readings from the engine or is it manually reset everytime an oil change is performed? In other words, can I be sure I dont need an oil change right now?

rand49er
01-11-07, 05:49 AM
You have to actively reset the oil life each time you change the oil. It is possible that the oil was changed without the reset having been done. HOWEVER, unless you know for sure, I'd definitely change it. For thirty bucks, it's worth it. :yup:

C66 Racing
01-11-07, 12:59 PM
I recently got my car and the oil monitor in my computer system is saying that my oil is at like 20% life, then I notice a 'reset' button on the side of the screen.

My question is, is this monitor taking readings from the engine or is it manually reset everytime an oil change is performed? In other words, can I be sure I dont need an oil change right now?

The oil life monitor (OLM) does not actually monitor the oil. It monitor numerous engine and enviromental parameters and uses these to calculate the oil life remaining. They are suprisingly accurate and I follow the OLM in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer. Not sure how far I'll go on my 06 CTS-V yet though. But, they are prone to human error. The system doesn't automatically reset itself when you change the oil. It must be done manually (procedure is in owner's manual). At 20% remaining, you are at the point where most people would change the oil. I'd suggest a change and reset the OLM to ensure you know where you stand with regard to the oil. Also note that the CTS-V takes a special oil meeting GM Standard 4718M. Factory fill Mobil 1 meets this standard, but in my opinion isn't the best oil on the market. :cheers:

Woody_MI
01-11-07, 01:57 PM
The oil life monitor (OLM) does not actually monitor the oil. It monitor numerous engine and enviromental parameters and uses these to calculate the oil life remaining. They are suprisingly accurate and I follow the OLM in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer. Not sure how far I'll go on my 06 CTS-V yet though. But, they are prone to human error. The system doesn't automatically reset itself when you change the oil. It must be done manually (procedure is in owner's manual). At 20% remaining, you are at the point where most people would change the oil. I'd suggest a change and reset the OLM to ensure you know where you stand with regard to the oil. Also note that the CTS-V takes a special oil meeting GM Standard 4718M. Factory fill Mobil 1 meets this standard, but in my opinion isn't the best oil on the market. :cheers:

Your favorite oil wouldn't happen to be AMSOIL would it? :stirpot: :histeric:

ctsvett
01-14-07, 12:52 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilmon.html

Reed