: [2004] Smell from A/C only at start up?

TexasAg98
01-10-07, 08:11 PM
Everytime I go to start the truck the A/C smells bad, but goes away after awhile. Any ideas on the first things to check? I'm not a mechanic, though am somewhat familiar with things.

TexasAg98
01-10-07, 08:20 PM
Looks like I'm checking for wet carpet, debris in the vents and microbial growth on the evaporator core.

I'll have to wait till morning. Any comments still welcome.

nick1bum
01-10-07, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure if this could be the problem on a Cadillac, but the last Chevy Silverado I had, I think a 2002, had a filter for the ventilation system that had to be changed every so often. Check your owners manual, being GM, it might have the same system

The Bum
07 EXT

TexasAg98
01-10-07, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure if this could be the problem on a Cadillac, but the last Chevy Silverado I had, I think a 2002, had a filter for the ventilation system that had to be changed every so often. Check your owners manual, being GM, it might have the same system

The Bum
07 EXT

If I remember reading correctly, the 02 was the last with an incabin filter.

MAZINGA3
01-13-07, 09:37 PM
Everytime I go to start the truck the A/C smells bad, but goes away after awhile. Any ideas on the first things to check? I'm not a mechanic, though am somewhat familiar with things.

Hi,
Did you still have a problem with A/C smells?
I have ESV 04 that does.
I went dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong..
When humidity is high, it smells more.
But winter time is no smell.
I had used ODOR OUT FOGGER SPRAY once and worked little bit.

Boombotz
01-14-07, 08:28 AM
The 02 Lade is the last year that came with a cabin filter.

Is it a mildew smell?
If so you can try to burn it off by running the heat and letting it run. Try to burn of the algae in the vents and evaporator.

Also check to make sure there is water dripping out the bottom of the truck when the A/C is on.

Superior Detailing
01-14-07, 01:28 PM
Find a detailer with an ozone generator, and have them run the machine with the recirculate on so the ozone flows through the vents. Ozone is O3, which is highly unstable and will destroy any bacteria (in the ac system, as well as your cabin) that it comes in contact with. Should run you about $50. And as far as me getting you in touch with somebody for your scratches, I have had no takers as of yet. I will keep trying.