: anyone testdrive new bmw 335???

mlg
01-10-07, 05:05 PM
rated at 300hp, but dynos at 350-360!!! reviews have been great.

CIWS
01-10-07, 05:20 PM
Run a forum search, they're there.

04CTSVFLA
01-10-07, 05:26 PM
how could it dyno more than the engine produces. Is it an enzyme putting the power to the wheels?

lawfive
01-10-07, 05:34 PM
Dude here at work traded his E46 M3 for one (the M was nearly out of warranty). Says it's just as fast, but likes the ride much better (was tired of driving a go-kart).

lawfive
01-10-07, 05:36 PM
how could it dyno more than the engine produces. Is it an enzyme putting the power to the wheels?

It's not what the engine produces, it's what the manufacturer CLAIMS it produces. Also, BMW is claiming 0-60 in 5.3, but all the car magazine tests are finding it to be faster than that - as much as 0.7 seconds faster.

04CTSVFLA
01-10-07, 06:39 PM
why would a car company under estimate #'s like that when the car was built for an enthusiast.....and enthusiasts like true #'s and on paper. I feel like they are losing a large portion of people that would buy it if the above claims were true which would make the below true

BMW #'s - 300hp / 0-60 5.3
Real #'s - 400hp / 0-60 4.6

If thats true...

Me personally would not even go look at the car using BMW's numbers....but would be somewhat interested if the "real" numbers were in fact real.

Does this make any sense to anyone??? Why BMW would do this......its like a furniture company calling a couch pleather and then you buy it and its real ostrich skin......lol im stoned.

04CTSVFLA
01-10-07, 06:41 PM
The GM turns around with our Caddies and claims "4.6 0-60 and 400hp but to me those are overstatments......more like 5.0 0-60 and with the engines (LS6) only putting 333 to the wheels....more like 380-390 hp......

gothicaleigh
01-10-07, 08:03 PM
why would a car company under estimate #'s like that when the car was built for an enthusiast.....and enthusiasts like true #'s and on paper. I feel like they are losing a large portion of people that would buy it if the above claims were true which would make the below true

If thats true...

Me personally would not even go look at the car using BMW's numbers....but would be somewhat interested if the "real" numbers were in fact real.

Does this make any sense to anyone??? Why BMW would do this......its like a furniture company calling a couch pleather and then you buy it and its real ostrich skin......lol im stoned.

They still had the previous generation M3 on the lots when the 335i was released. :shhh:

Understand now? :sneaky:
I suspect they'll get an advertised "performance boost" revelation sometime after the new M3 lands (which is going to be an absolute beast).

Hammondsix
01-10-07, 08:27 PM
I beleive it is tax related. Happens often in europe. The registration taxes are as high as 180% in some contrys and vary with power equipment and weight.

90Brougham350
01-11-07, 03:28 PM

If thats true...

Because when you buy a BMW, you get more than you paid for. They're not using the numbers to sell the vehicle, they're using the fact it's a BMW and probably underrated. When you buy an American vehicle, you don't get everything you paid for, you get a car that seldom does what an expert driver from GM has been able to achieve.

davesdeville
01-14-07, 06:16 AM
Because when you buy a BMW, you get more than you paid for. They're not using the numbers to sell the vehicle, they're using the fact it's a BMW and probably underrated. When you buy an American vehicle, you don't get everything you paid for, you get a car that seldom does what an expert driver from GM has been able to achieve.

Oh of course... which is why the LS7 and supercharged northstars power ratings went UP when the more accurate SAE J1349 spec was used.

90Brougham350
01-14-07, 08:51 AM
That's not why the power ratings went up, the power ratings went up because the more accurate SAE J1349 spec was used.

How many V drivers have been able to consistently run theirs at 4.6 0-60? Now how many 335i drivers have been able to consistently beat BMW's advertised 0-60?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-07, 02:57 PM
I love the new 335...probably my favorite BMW ever, next to the E38 and E39...