: Oil Level Sensor?

STS127
01-10-07, 04:27 PM
The check engine oil level display keeps occuring when I start my car. I know for a factthat the oil level is just fine and it will even do this on a level surface.(In the owners manual, a possible solution says the car may not be on even surface) Is the only solution to this problem to replace it or is there something else?

codewize
01-10-07, 04:31 PM
On a 96 it's probably the sensor. If they're anything like the ones I've done there's a small piece that breaks off of them. The part is cheap and it takes about 10 minutes to change.

Cad tech
01-10-07, 04:41 PM
Codewise is absolutly correct replace oil level sending unit. The oil level switch is a magnetic reed float style switch which is closed with oil level full and open when oil level is low. The PCM monitors the oil level switch to determine if the oil is LOW or OK. When the Test Conditions have been met the PCM will monitor the oil level switch input. If a low oil level is indicated the PCM will send a serial data message to the Driver Information Center (DIC) or IPC depending upon vehicle model. The DIC/IPC will then indicate the oil level is low. If the Test Conditions have not been met then the PCM ignores the oil level switch input and oil level OK is indicated to the DIC/IPC. The engine coolant temperature Test Condition is required to ensure enough time has passed since the engine was last stopped. The time period/coolant temperature difference is to allow enough time for the engine oil to drain back into the oil pan. The colder the current engine temperature is, the larger the drop in temperature necessary. This is to ensure colder, thicker oil has drained back into the oil pan..........The oil level sending unit is located left of the oil filter, be prepared to drain all the oil out (8 quarts) light tan plastic or brass colored on older models....

clarkz71
01-10-07, 04:50 PM
be prepared to drain all the oil out (8 quarts) light tan plastic or brass colored on older models....

Not to nit-pic, but wouldn't that be 7.5 qts?

None the less, welcome to the forum Cad tech.:welcome:

Cad tech
01-10-07, 05:13 PM
True but the accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition. So why not start out .5 quart ahead ;) most dealerships, plus the one I work at, use 8 quarts, it is standard through the industry for the high oil consumption rate

and 10 quarts after lower crankcase seals......

thanks for the Welcome

STS127
01-10-07, 05:41 PM
How much are they to replace? Could I get one at an Auto Zone or something?

Ranger
01-10-07, 06:20 PM
I doubt AZ would have them. Probably will have better luck (and price) at http://www.gmotors.com

Cad Tech, just realized you were new. :welcome: Always nice to have another tech around.

I do just the opposite. I use 7 qts. Easier to measure plus we heard from our old Guru that 8 qts was overfilled and would exacerbate oil consumption.

codewize
01-10-07, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't ever overfill the oil. You safer being a half qt down than you are over full.

Why 10 qrts after a halfcase gasket?

Ranger
01-10-07, 07:40 PM
He may be talking about the 8 qt overfill (16 qts) procedure to reprime the oil pump, like when the check valve sticks open.

Cad tech
01-10-07, 08:05 PM
Sorry for starting such a cotraversy over oil capacity lmao.....
required is 7.5 quarts but like I said before the norm is 8 quarts and after working on cadillacs for over 15 years and on the 4.6L that is norm. remember that oil burn as I pointed out above. Concerning the lower crankcase seals, yes 10 quarts after doing this repair..If you have ever had one apart you would see that the oil manifold keeps in alot, standard for that is 10 quarts and after doing over 200 in just 2006 (they keep track of that crap at dealerships due to auditing) never had one problem last year or since 1993. Also consider oil cooler please..

Also if you remove the oil pan on the 4.6L it holds to the tippy top 12 quarts of oil.... so the risk of hurting anything is none by adding the extra .5 quart

codewize
01-10-07, 08:08 PM
Ahh I'm sorry. I forgot about that. Good call

He may be talking about the 8 qt overfill (16 qts) procedure to reprime the oil pump, like when the check valve sticks open.

Thanks. that's interesting to say the least

required is 7.5 quarts but like I said before the norm is 8 quarts and after working on cadillacs for over 15 years and on the 4.6L that is norm. remember that oil burn as I pointed out above. Concerning the lower crankcase seals, yes 10 quarts after doing this repair..If you have ever had one apart you would see that the oil manifold keeps in alot, standard for that is 10 quarts and after doing over 200 in just 2006 (they keep track of that crap at dealerships due to auditing) never had one problem last year or since 1993. Also consider oil cooler please..

Also if you remove the oil pan on the 4.6L it holds to the tippy top 12 quarts of oil.... so the risk of hurting anything is none by adding the extra .5 quart

cadillacmike68
05-27-07, 02:17 AM
True but the accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi). This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or 80,450 km (50,000 mi) for Cadillac, driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition. So why not start out .5 quart ahead ;) most dealerships, plus the one I work at, use 8 quarts, it is standard through the industry for the high oil consumption rate

and 10 quarts after lower crankcase seals......

thanks for the Welcome

Very interesting.

On a recent oil change done by the shop across the street - because I was too lazy (but I brought them a GM oil filter). I had them leave it 1 quart low. I'm assuming that they put in 6.5 quarts. But I don't really know.

then I put in 1 pint "no leak" yeah I can hear the groans from here, but it's my car. and 1 pint GM EOS. for 7.5 quarts - for the ZDP / ZDDP boost. :thumbsup:

A week later it looked low on the stick, I ended up putting almost an entire additional quart over a week long check / fill perion - car always level. I just got it exactly to the full mark last night (posted this elswhere on N* earlier tonight). so I'm at 8.5 quarts to fill up the car :confused:

methinks Cad Tech is on to something here...

Now, about that class action suit to get all ou our case half leak problems fixed at NC - did someone wake up Frank Zappa yet? :stirpot:

cadillacmike68
05-27-07, 02:23 AM

What the heck is the engine oil manifold? :confused:

It is not indexed in the 2000 ElDorado Service Manual. I have both volumes, an original GM pub. Got a page number in section 6 that describes it, its function, and maybe a picture? Thanks. :worship: