: Need a power source in the cabin

svassh
01-10-07, 03:45 PM
I know I can wire into the cig lighters but they are on all the time. I need a source that is only 'key on'. Its for a wideband controller which I'm mounting inside the center console, gauge in the ashtray.

I'd rather not run a new power line all the way to the fusebox in the engine compartment. Anyone know of an alternate source I can tap into cabin side?

OzarksHillbilly
01-10-07, 04:11 PM
You might try looking at this for ideas:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/accpower.html

srracer
01-10-07, 04:19 PM
Svassh, if you don't add in the relay per the FAQ to switch the cig lighters to keyed on (which may not even be possible...), then the only place to get switched power is from the sunroof power wire. Its a blue wire in the trunk. Pull of the right side cover that covers the Onstar box, then find the little 3 way connector on the upper right side. The biggest wire is a blue one - this will give you switched power.

-Chris

Poopie D
01-10-07, 04:24 PM
I had an alarm shop install a flashing LED for the factory alarm. For 30 bucks, they installed it so that the light starts flashing when I turn off the car. I am sure a local shop could do the opposite...and for 30 bucks, might save you a lot of hassle...

svassh
01-10-07, 04:27 PM
Dang it the switched power for the cig lighters would have been just the ticket. I may try a relay although the faq seems to indicate it won't work even with a relay. If I have to go to the trunk I guess I'll just go all the way to the fuse box instead.

heavymetals
01-10-07, 05:15 PM
You can grab the accessory wire off the ignition switch if you lift the wheel up.

svassh
01-10-07, 05:58 PM
You can grab the accessory wire off the ignition switch if you lift the wheel up.

What do you mean 'lift the wheel up'? Just tilt up the steering wheel all the way and I'll see it?

heavymetals
01-10-07, 06:42 PM
What do you mean 'lift the wheel up'? Just tilt up the steering wheel all the way and I'll see it?

YUP.

It is a brown wire.

mike041357
01-10-07, 07:58 PM
Dang it the switched power for the cig lighters would have been just the ticket. I may try a relay although the faq seems to indicate it won't work even with a relay. If I have to go to the trunk I guess I'll just go all the way to the fuse box instead.

The relay will work if you move the fuse over as well. I did it for my radar detector and wired a separate 2-position receptable as well (left of the console). That way you can keep the ashtray closed. I got my dealer to give me the relay since the users manual talks about moving the fuse to get "accessory on" power.

ctsvett
01-11-07, 01:26 AM
that FAQ should not indicate that.. it will work if you add the correct relay and move the fuses over...

Thats how it works on my car.. i even got the relay by telling the dealer it was missing and showing them the printout of the diagram... you results may vary.

Reed

wildwhl
01-11-07, 02:02 AM
There is also switched power under the rear seat.

The .faq procedure works perfectly on my car... :)

WW

svassh
01-11-07, 09:12 AM
Quick update:

It does in fact work on the V provided you have the right relay in place. I have one on order from GM. However, you will notice that the fuse box cover lists this location as 'Spare', but it is wired and works provided a relay is put into it. With a relay and movement of the fuse as listed on the FAQ you can force one or both of your cig lighters to auto power off 10 minutes after the key is turned off. They turn on right away when key is turned to any position.

This is perfect for me as I don't mind my wide band sensor staying on for 10 minutes while the exhuast gases cool.

What I am currently running and seems to be working fine is:

- I removed the relay from the location marked 'Accessory' on the fuse box and put it into the 'Spare' location. Everything seems to be working just fine and I can only assume the 'Accessory' relay is used if you have something wired to the 'brown' wire that Heavy references.

Reed - I think the FAQ needs an update to remove the info that this will not work on the V.