: Quick Harness Question

walloftruth
01-10-07, 01:42 PM
I have a '93 Seville SLS... Apparently I need to bypass the tuner in the trunk to install an aftermarket receiver. I've been looking for a solution which doesn't require having to rip out all the wires and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/70-1856-METRA-CADILLAC-CORVETTE-HARNESS-W-ANT-ADAPT_W0QQitemZ150067720405QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3281 2QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Contacted seller and he said this harness should "plug right in" to the factory wires going into the tuner and I wouldn't need to spice anything... I'm having a hard time believing him as I've been to at least four stores looking for the correct harness and everyone gave me:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FpAqa3emNz7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=103000&I=120701858

.. Which I already have in my Bonneville, looks similar to that harness and doesn't fit in the Caddy.

Has anyone bought from this seller before and can confirm this harness plugs directly into the wires from the tuner?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer, this has been driving me crazy!

Eddie

CadillacSTS42005
01-10-07, 03:43 PM
would really help if you told me what your stock system is
bose
no bose?
what do you want to do?
replace hu only?
replace speaks?

CaptainFishpond
01-10-07, 08:30 PM
his feedback is 100% if that means anything to you.

walloftruth
01-15-07, 01:02 AM
would really help if you told me what your stock system is
bose
no bose?
what do you want to do?
replace hu only?
replace speaks?

Sorry!

No bose and I'd just like to replace the HU for now. I may want to replace the speakers at a later date, though.

Thanks!

walloftruth
01-15-07, 01:05 AM
his feedback is 100% if that means anything to you.

I've purchased items from sellers on eBay with great feedback before and 2 out of those 5 times the item did not fit/work as advertised. Just trying to play it safe.

caddycruiser
01-17-07, 06:01 PM
The Metra 70-1856 wiring harness kit (at the Ebay link you posted) is most likely what you would want. That is also the part used for Fleetwoods like mine, with the tuner/amp in the trunk. I just went aftermarket as well, and essentially what happens with this harness is that it gets routed from the radio area back to where your amp is, the plug ends back there connected to the plug from the amp and the antenna, and then the other end just needs spliced onto the harness of whatever stereo unit you choose.

I thought it was going to be harder than it was, but it all turned out very simple and everything in the car operates just as OEM (retained power, chimes, lights, etc.). You DO have to splice your new stereo's harness (they always give you a plug with open wires connected to it) onto the bare ends of the Metra harness so they become one, but that's not hard at all.

Nothing extra has to be removed from the car, you essentially just need to connect the two harnesses and run it through the car...then pop in the new head unit, and you're set to go.

This was in a Fleetwood like mine, but just take a look at the harnesses and how things plug in, and I think that should make it pretty clear (did for me):

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=001496;p=2

walloftruth
01-17-07, 07:22 PM
Thank you SO much for the reassurance and detailed explanation! That's just what I was hoping for. I'll order the harness right away. Now only if it wasn't going to be freezing out over the next couple weeks...

Hopefully the information and links provided in this thread will be useful to someone else.

Thanks again, Caddycruiser.

Eddie

caddycruiser
01-17-07, 11:21 PM
Hope it all works. I was as apprehensive as it could get when it came to doing an aftermarket HU in my Fleetwood (you could probably tell from some of my beginning posts in that thread), but after I did it, I realized how easy it actually was.

Truth be told, disassembling the car to properly route the harness (for me it was dash pieces, sill trim, seats, and a few other little things), but that's about it--aside from just deciding on how and where you want to route things when it gets to the dash (even that just took a few minutes of playing).

Still, to this day, the weird thing is that a lot of the bigger audio people in theory, such as Best Buy, Circuit City, and mainly Crutchfield still say nothing works in a lot of cars like this...when in fact, all you have to do is look up the car under other sources or Metra's own site, and it's plain as day what you need.

Guess they can't catch everything, but from the number of people that ask them about this time and time again, you'd think someone would even just look it up.

caddycruiser
01-17-07, 11:24 PM
Oh, and forgot to ask! Do you need the mounting kit for your car?

I had a local stereo guy I was getting harnesses and kits from last month, and by mistake he gave me a mounting kit for the '92-95 Eldo/Seville, and I have no use for it. It's yours for a few bucks--new, and less than you'll pay online.

I put it in the classifieds a little bit ago, so maybe someone here would be able to use it:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2135&sort=1&cat=3&page=1

http://www.metraonline.com/images/products/medium/99-2002.jpg