: Comparing the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to the GS-D3

pmsteinm
01-10-07, 10:37 AM
I ended up getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires to replace my GS-D3s. I wanted an "ulta-high performance all-season" tire so I could take my car up north, and not nearly kill myself at home when the temperature drops into the 40's.

I've had the Pilots for almost 3 months now, and so I can compare them to the GS-D3s (which I went through 2 sets of): In the cold, the pilots are waaaay better (obviously, since the GS-D3 is a summer tire). I can actually floor it in 1st when them temp is in the 40's. In the warm weather, they are ALMOST as good. I can get 1.07g on my fav turn with the pilots, 1.15 with the GS-D3s. Stopping distance and ride quality seems about the same. I'm sure the GS-D3s are better in terms of absolute dry performace, but the pilots are pretty close, have better tread wear, and work in the cold/sleet/snow. Can't comment on wear yet, but the pilot should be better.

Just and FYI, for those of you that might care.

BLACK_CTSV
01-10-07, 01:10 PM
Cool - did you get stock sizes on the Pilots?

pmsteinm
01-10-07, 04:53 PM
Yes, stock size.

CIWS
01-10-07, 05:23 PM
I've considered them as a replacement. We'll see when the RSAs run out. :)

MLV
01-10-07, 08:01 PM
I replaced the original tires with Pilot Sport A/S and currently have about 23,000 miles on them. I'll buy them again when these are done. They work very well in the rain; no snow to contend with down here.