: Stock brake pads sure are tough!

The Tony Show
01-10-07, 08:09 AM
I had my winter "tune-up" done at work yesterday (flush fuids, bleed brakes, wash filter, etc..), and decided to replace the stock pads while I was at it since the car just turned 30k, and I use my brakes pretty aggressively. Imagine my suprise when I found that the stock brake pads still had roughly 60% of the material left after 30k!

Either I'm not braking as hard as I thought, or Brembo makes these pads out of Adamantium. What about you guys? What kind of life did you see out of your stock pads?

lawfive
01-10-07, 10:16 AM
Re: Stock brake pads sure are tough!

... and dusty.

Kadonny
01-10-07, 10:19 AM
30k highway miles huh?

Seriously, you must have a decent amount of highway traveling on your clock.

Autom8r
01-10-07, 12:08 PM
That's good to know... My '04 V has 30K on it now and I was thinking about brakes.... I'll wait till 50K now. Most are hwy. miles....

I do know that when I go for new pads they will be the cleaner Hawk pads. Those Adamantium pads might be tough, but they sure deposit a bunch of nasty black dust on the wheels in no time. I figgered they would wear out a lot quicker based on the crap they shed.

Dave

The Tony Show
01-10-07, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I considered Hawks but I wash my car so often that the brake dust doesn't get a chance to build up. Sometimes I wonder if my neighbors think I'm running a detail business out of my house, since every time they look out I'm washing my car.

wicked v
01-10-07, 02:00 PM
:burn: Mine are done at 30,000 obviously not hwy mi!

Autom8r
01-10-07, 04:18 PM
Sure Tony.... In Leesburg, FL you can wash it every day, 'bout all year 'round, but in Nashville winter washings in the driveway are pretty damned rare!!!

My wife and I have a combined total 8 cars, 2 of them are under 20 years old and most are pretty nice old rods. OUr place definitely looks like a detail shop in nice weather!!!

That damn brake dust is still a pain-in-the-butt!! I find "Black Magic" wheel cleaner and a bottle brush from Wally-World to be a pretty good solution.

Guess it's 'bout time to pull a wheel and check the pads......

Dave

lunarx
01-10-07, 08:28 PM
Pads are tough.
But how is the wear on your rotors?
My rotors had a lot of wear at only 13K miles.

I ditched the nasty stock pads for something less dusty and kinder to rotors.
After you do it, you will wonder why you waited so long.

ctsvflorida
01-11-07, 08:39 AM
I have the hawks on the front and stock in the back and guess what? The dust is just about the same, only a hair cleaner with the hawks. I got the hawks because I heard there would be no dust and they only sent the fronts at first, so I put them on. After noticing that they were no better, I told them to forget the backs and have left it ever since! That is why I have hawks front and stock rear. Trust me, it stops the same!

As far as the dust goes, you guys must have some special Hawks!

The Tony Show
01-11-07, 08:49 AM
Hey, how about a picture of you in a bikini washing your car?

Wait- Dammit!! :banghead:

lunarx
01-11-07, 10:44 AM
Hawk HPS are mediocre at best.
I use them on my WRX as my street pads, because street pad choices are limited for my AP Racing calipers.
(My track pads are PFC97.)

If you really want to get rid of the dust look at:
Endless SSM.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/94888-how-long-brakes.html#post927587

Expensive but worth it.
Anyone local can come check out my car and they will never see any brake dust, just clean wheels and calipers.
And, of course, it still stops great with zero noise.

Novi
01-11-07, 11:48 AM
30K is pretty darn good. Mine were 80% gone and replaced with stock at 24K. Ironically, they lasted twice as long as the brakes on 2001 sts and cost twice as much to replace.

50 4Ever
01-11-07, 02:39 PM
I have the hawks on the front and stock in the back and guess what? The dust is just about the same, only a hair cleaner with the hawks. I got the hawks because I heard there would be no dust and they only sent the fronts at first, so I put them on. After noticing that they were no better, I told them to forget the backs and have left it ever since! That is why I have hawks front and stock rear. Trust me, it stops the same!

As far as the dust goes, you guys must have some special Hawks!
All that means is that the hawks are twice as clean as stock. The fronts will dust at least twice as heavy as the rears, if yours are equal - you do the math.

For the record - I will never run Hawks on any of my cars.

heavypedal
01-11-07, 02:47 PM
For the record - I will never run Hawks on any of my cars.

Hey 50....why so?

I've got dust and squeaking. Hawks can slim down the dust, but what about the random "squeakies" that I get. Anyone have a solution or something that would help?

FYI, I asked the Caddy dealership about this...and they said "do a hard 60-0 stop... that should take care of it for a little while" Not good enough answer, I thought.

T

heavypedal
01-11-07, 02:48 PM
Ah...now reading about Endless SS-M

50 4Ever
01-11-07, 03:05 PM
Hey 50....why so?

I've got dust and squeaking. Hawks can slim down the dust, but what about the random "squeakies" that I get. Anyone have a solution or something that would help?

FYI, I asked the Caddy dealership about this...and they said "do a hard 60-0 stop... that should take care of it for a little while" Not good enough answer, I thought.

T

Youy Cadillac dealer was almost right, if mine ever start to squeak all that it is telling me is I need to lay down a layer of carbon on the rotors. I do 4 easy to medium slow downs 60-10 (do not stop or engage ABS) to get the brakes to operating temperature. Then I do 3 hard slow downs from 60 to 10 (not stopping or engaging ABS). Then take the car home and park it without the emergency brake on to let the brakes cool. The squeak is gone.

I don't know how many years ago, this local Corvette shop started recommending Hawk pads and over the next year they replaced a lot of rotors because the Hawk pads they used were real hard on rotors. On the Corvette and CTS-V I use Performance Friction Z-Rated pads, sure they dust and they perform very well under extreme braking. I'm happy with them and used to how they perform, no compelling reason to switch.

:thumbsup:

ZEUSROTTY
01-15-07, 09:35 PM
the pads are made by brembo!!!

lunarx
01-15-07, 09:51 PM
the pads are made by brembo!!!

The Backing Plates are Stamped:
Ferodo HP1000/1
Perhaps Ferodo makes just the backing plate or the entire pad.
The backing plate insulator however has a Brembo Part#
07.7275.56 (Front)
07.7783.43 (Rear)

Ferodo Pad with Brembo packaging or Brembo Pad with Ferodo backing plate? :confused:

Autom8r
01-15-07, 10:07 PM
Ferodo (AKA Federal-Mogul) makes brake pads for nearly everyone, including the OEMs. The pad material is formulated to the customer's specs.

They have a plant here in TN and I have seen them made..... looks like a pile of dogshit pooped onto a backing plate then molded and cooked under heat and pressure.

Dave