: NuB with 2002 'Lade Seeking Less Interior Exhaust Noise...

Brian@2Fast
01-10-07, 03:36 AM
Hi. Looking for some creative help on how I can get my great sounding Magnaflow exhaust on my 2002 Escalade to create less interior noise/drone. Sounds great in every way, but with that sound comes interior resonation/drone at a couple different rpm levels... and it's enough to give you a headache. So, I'm wondering if anyone out there could comment on possible solutions to reduce or eliminate the unwanted sounds (drone) in the interior. For instance:

1. Can Dynamat or a sound dampening foam layer/board be somehow installed UNDER the carpet in the rear of vehicle (above the muffler)? If so, how tough is this to do for a do-it-yourselfer? Any advice?

2. Can something be done to the existing Magnaflow muffler to reduce the resonation/droning?

3. Any other ideas? I'm open to 'em, but as you can probably tell, I do not want to pay for new exhaust, and hope that there's some sort of inexpensive way to help reduce or eliminate the droning.

Thanks to all who care to respond!

hcvone
01-10-07, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the Forum. :) Dynamat would help for sure, it would take a lot of Dynamat and some time to do the job right. I have had a few Magnaflow exhaust systems and I did not like the noise over the long term, and even took a system off and replaced it at the time with a Corsa exhaust, I was so pleased I have had 4 Corsa systems since then. I do not know how handy you are in terms of removing all your interior to do a Dynamat system correctly, that would be the factor. :)

Brian@2Fast
01-11-07, 02:45 AM
Yeah, and expensive too: learned today that 12 square feet of Dynamat is $90, and that ain't cheap.

Talked to my stereo guy today, and he was saying that he thinks the drone and noise is coming more from the side panels where there's little insulation vs. the back bed area above the muffler - which is where I figured the noise would be from. Suggested that I buy a ton of pillow stuffing and just start filling up the side panels in the rear with tons of the stuff in every nook and cranny, especially since pillow material is super cheap.

Think that would do the trick? If so, it would be alot cheaper than a Corsa exhaust system...

Anyone else with suggestions or thoughts out there?

hcvone
01-11-07, 07:29 AM
I think you would be better to Dynamat the interior, I think it would do more for you. IMO. :)

Brian@2Fast
01-11-07, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know if the flooring in the back where the 3rd seat is can pulled up, and Dynamat placed under it ("it" being the carpet)?

A difficult job to do?

Any other less expensive alternatives to Dynamat?

tc3
01-11-07, 03:01 PM
Yeah, and expensive too: learned today that 12 square feet of Dynamat is $90, and that ain't cheap.

Talked to my stereo guy today, and he was saying that he thinks the drone and noise is coming more from the side panels where there's little insulation vs. the back bed area above the muffler - which is where I figured the noise would be from. Suggested that I buy a ton of pillow stuffing and just start filling up the side panels in the rear with tons of the stuff in every nook and cranny, especially since pillow material is super cheap.

Think that would do the trick? If so, it would be alot cheaper than a Corsa exhaust system...

Anyone else with suggestions or thoughts out there?

Sorry man, But that isn't very good advice from a Stereo guy! He should know bettter than that.
Please don't use pillow stuffing.
There are cheaper brands of Dynamat material out there. You may have to layer it. But take your time and do it right. You do not want to do that job twice!!!

benamaster
01-11-07, 04:09 PM
You might want to look into a product called Second Skin. They make various products like Dynamat and a foam like product that works well too.

yourgmsolutions
01-11-07, 04:42 PM
Dude, You are going to need a lots of that stuff.
If you want to do it right from first time. You need to strip You car completely. Seats/Headliner/carpet.and then do it. You can Actually do it your self (well may be with a little help from friend/ or somebody else)
also for some areas you can use spray type (. and some other then dynamat materials. for example i was using sound dampmimg material that used in aircrafts, it was cheaper, and worked probubly better (more industrial grade)
check for link bellow. hope that will help you

http://68.208.124.66/dealer/items.asp?CartId={B7EA31D7-38B0-4A2E-900EEVEREST-121649C06FCA}&Cc=DAMPING&Bc=

benamaster
01-11-07, 08:08 PM
Dude, You are going to need a lots of that stuff.
If you want to do it right from first time. You need to strip You car completely. Seats/Headliner/carpet.and then do it. You can Actually do it your self (well may be with a little help from friend/ or somebody else)
also for some areas you can use spray type (. and some other then dynamat materials. for example i was using sound dampmimg material that used in aircrafts, it was cheaper, and worked probubly better (more industrial grade)
check for link bellow. hope that will help you

http://68.208.124.66/dealer/items.asp?CartId={B7EA31D7-38B0-4A2E-900EEVEREST-121649C06FCA}&Cc=DAMPING&Bc=

I couldn't get that link to work. I really don't think it would be that bad to do in a 2002. When you open up the tailgate you'll have to remove the plastic piece you see at the bottom it pulls up. There are little black things that hold in the left and right side panels and the rest just kind of pull off then you can pull up the carpet. Kind of a short summary but it shouldn't be that bad.

yourgmsolutions
01-11-07, 08:15 PM
try copy and paste

benamaster
01-11-07, 08:17 PM
It says:
We are sorry to inform you that your request cannot be processed currently.
The following could be the reason.
Your Cart ID is expired .
Your Cart ID is not found.

Maybe its storing your cart information in a Cookie?

yourgmsolutions
01-11-07, 08:28 PM
here is their main web site link

http://selectproducts.com/

and then look for sound dampening material

Brian@2Fast
01-12-07, 02:49 AM
Very helpful gents: thank you. Honestly, I don't think that a muffler requires doing the whole car. For instance, I'm not touching the headliner. But doing some work under the carpet in the rear, and doing the rear panels shouldn't be tough work... though I haven't done anything yet. Here's some more questions:

1. If I went to Home Depot and bought some spray insulation/foam, would that be worth using in the tight spots and little spaces here and there in the doors/panels? Why or why not?
2. There's lots of off-brands of Dynamat. I hear that some are better than others. Besides the SS recommendation here, any others worth looking into? I don't want funny smells, something that stains, or something that won't be effective. On the other hand, I don't want to pay a crapload of money either: at some point, all this work and expense would have been spared by buying the Corsa exhaust at $500 instead of the Magnaflow at $150.
3. Has anyone personally pulled up the carpet and layed down sound deadener beneath it? If so, how easy was it? I'm looking to hear from anyone who has actually done the job...

Thanks all. Chime in...