: Goodyear Does It Again

CTSV04
01-09-07, 01:30 PM
I bought my CTSV in late 2004. In early 2005, while at discount tire getting a rotation, I was informed my tires were shot! I only had 6000 miles on the car and everyone was as astonished as I was that I needed new tires. I left $1,000 later with new GSD3's. I was so disappointed with the life of the F1's that I kept them for evidence in-case somehow they could be returned for a credit. Thanks to this Forum I was able to identify the process for recieving such a credit by contacting Goodyear. Yesterday, Goodyear agreed to send me a check for $671, for tires I replaced two years ago. WAY TO GO GOODYEAR AND THIS FORUM!

CIWS
01-09-07, 01:36 PM
Wow, they are definately winning points for great customer service with the tire issues.

nikon
01-09-07, 01:55 PM
I got the same deal, I just hope they didn't expect people to stick with them because of that.....I just ordered my bfg's...I've never had good luck with goodyears...my kdw2's should be here soon :D

V-Max
01-09-07, 03:25 PM
I tried with non run flats on the parents Uplander. The GY store would not budge. And said that was a runflat bulletin they had out for the V and C6.

Norm

rand49er
01-09-07, 07:51 PM
I got the GSD3s with my credit. Sure like those Pilot Sports, but now feel obligated to get a GY product next around. 'Spose that's why they did it.

Any way you cut it, that is downright decent customer service. :highfive:

dvandentop
01-09-07, 08:55 PM
so you ended up with about 400 or so out of pocket for tires?

MJDART
01-09-07, 09:25 PM
I have had great success with Yokohama tires, they make a 245-45-18 for the CTS, the YK520. I have put Yoko Avid H4S's on my IS300 and Yoko Geolanders on my wifes TrailBlazer, excellent performance and tire wear is great. I will be putting the YK520's on my CTS when OE tires wear out.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/YK520%20PDF%20bulletin.pdf

heavymetals
01-09-07, 09:56 PM
You could throw some of that money at becoming a supporting member :thumbsup:

Support the FAQ's also!:highfive:

C66 Racing
01-09-07, 10:13 PM
While I'm very happy to see that Goodyear treated you right, I've been reading of short lived Goodyear tires on the Corvette and GTO forums for years and I don't think that the vast majority of the worn out tires are Goodyears fault. These high performance cars factory alignment specs include relatively large amounts of negative camber, which when combined with a little toe (in or out) results in extremely fast wear, particularly on the inside edge of the front tires. My stock F1SCs on my 02 Z06 lasted me 3,000 miles.

Another factor is that the tire was designed for dry performance and it is very soft. Its tire wear rating is only 220 or so. Every car magazine review I have seen has worn out the F1SCs on this car in the 6-9k mile range. The F1SC is a great handling tire, but that comes at the sacrifice of tire life.

There are some comparible tires out there at a fraction of the cost, such as the Kumho Ecsta MX (not sure if they have run flat sizes for the CTS-V but I do know they make non-runflat sizes for the Vette), but in my experience, they wear out just as fast as the Goodyears.

rand49er
01-10-07, 11:37 AM
so you ended up with about 400 or so out of pocket for tires?$440 installed.

Had 15k on my F1s at the time ... they had a couple of thousand left on them maximum, but they were starting to track badly on the road. BTW, they weren't just wearing on the inside, but pretty evenly all over.

heavypedal
01-10-07, 02:48 PM
I have had great success with Yokohama tires, they make a 245-45-18 for the CTS, the YK520. I have put Yoko Avid H4S's on my IS300 and Yoko Geolanders on my wifes TrailBlazer, excellent performance and tire wear is great. I will be putting the YK520's on my CTS when OE tires wear out.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/YK520%20PDF%20bulletin.pdf

Ditto. I have absolutely loved Yoko (hama) over the years. Had some great ones on the SHO I had, the V4S's on the Acura CL Type S I had, and starting the search for my CTS-V's next tires.

Discount tire will probably try and guide me to the YK520s, but not enough performance there for the V. Looked at the S4 tire (400 AA A) or the AVS ES100 (280 AA A), but sales of the S4 is limited and I have read numerous accounts of the AVS ES100s getting extremely loud once they start wearing down (though I hear that this is true with any V shaped tread).

Oh well, on with the search for the best tire that suites my driving. research, research, research.... :banghead:

trukk
01-10-07, 02:59 PM
There are some comparible tires out there at a fraction of the cost, such as the Kumho Ecsta MX (not sure if they have run flat sizes for the CTS-V but I do know they make non-runflat sizes for the Vette), but in my experience, they wear out just as fast as the Goodyears.

I just ordered up a set of Falken Azenis RT615's from edgeracing, to replace my utterly bald GSD3's. I was happy to get about 26k miles out of them (I got 16k from my F1SC's).

The Falkens have a treadwear rating of 200, so we will see how long they last :gulp

Cost to my door was $850 shipped (with 2 day shipping at that). I hope the'll be nice tires.

I read some feedback on the Kumho Ecsta MX's on tirerack. it didn't seem to good (mostly in the 'i wish I would have spent the extra cash on some nicer tires' vein). the price is very nice on the Kumho's though.

I loved the OEM F1SC's, the performance was amazing on those. I wasn;t as impressed with the GSD3's, although the wet traction was really really really good.

Time will tell on the new tires I guess.

-Chris